This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster than Light.

The concept in BSG really reminds me of that scene in the Homeworld game series.

Some ships can do "far" (BSG, BaseStar) jumps, some "medium" (Colonial One) and some "short" (Raptor).

This means that the progress of the fleet moves only as fast as the slowest ship.

The other thing is jump plotting. It seems that the Cylons have uncovered quantum computing which can do processing much faster than a normal number cruncher.

Now im wondering... Is there anyway to rig non-FTL ships to jump? Like strap them to the hull of a carrier craft?

Originally posted by skrip00
    The concept in BSG really reminds me of that scene in the Homeworld game series.

Some ships can do "far" (BSG, BaseStar) jumps, some "medium" (Colonial One) and some "short" (Raptor).

This means that the progress of the fleet moves only as fast as the slowest ship.

The other thing is jump plotting. It seems that the Cylons have uncovered quantum computing which can do processing much faster than a normal number cruncher.

Now im wondering... Is there anyway to rig non-FTL ships to jump? Like strap them to the hull of a carrier craft?
    More than likely, the fleet will use the ships that can jump the farthest. (In your case, the medium or far range jumping ships. Raptors are used as shuttle craft between largeer ships - among other uses (if i'm right). Using a raptor to jump with the fleet isn't exactly a wise idea, but i'm sure in an emergency situation, Raptors could be used to jump after the fleet, albeit in smaller increments.

Cyclon computing seems far more advanced thant he fleet's computing capabilities. Whether or not it's quantum computing, i can't tell.

Strapping a non-FTL ship to an FTL ship sounds like a good plan. but it might not work out very well if the strapping or hook-up mechanism fails in hyperspace. But it almost appears as if all the BSG jumps are instantaneous, so it might work after all.

Comment

The Galactica can accommodate ships up to and perhaps larger than the Colonial One in its flight pod (as seen in the miniseries and "Water"), I suppose in a pinch they could shove them inside and carry them through a jump. If they ever get around to bringing the other flight pod back online, there's even more capacity.

Comment

Well, we dont know there is a "hyperspace". FTL travel seems instantaneous.

Also. Im asking because of
        Spoiler:
        the situation in episode 211. How will they take a Viper squad with them, or how will they take the blackbird?

Comment

This is precisely the type of question Ron Moore doesn't want to focus on answering. BSG is not about the technology, it's about the characters and narrative.

Comment

anyway, what is up with atlantis now using the term ftl drive, i know it is not a unique concept, but they just came up with it all of a sudden and it seems like a big rip from battlestar galactica

Comment

I noticed that too, although I think I've also heard the term in an old SG-1 episode.
              I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Well, many ships in the SG universe do go FTL. So the term is correctly used.

Besides the point.
                Spoiler:
                How will the blackbird jump to the enemy fleet??

Comment

[QUOTE=skrip00]Well, we dont know there is a "hyperspace". FTL travel seems instantaneous.

QUOTE]

I've noticed that to. While it is reffered to as the FTL drive when they actually use it they refer to it as making a jump which seems to be what they are doing, "jumping" from one point in space to another more like teleportation more than hyperspace travel.
                  Teal'c "I killed you"
                  Daniel "Why?"
                  Teal'c "You were a Go'uld spy"
                  Daniel "a good reason"

Comment

I agree. In BSG they fold sapce-time, wail in SG-1 and SGA they just make a turrel through it.
                    I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

I actually found a website a while ago that explained how this type of FTL engine would theoretically work in respect to the new BSG series. Apparently they actually did some homework here and tried to pick an FTL method with as much grounding in "maybe possible" as one can expect when we're talking about things like FTL methods.

If I rememebr correctly it works be exploiting some facet of quantum theory that essentially moves all the matter in the ship to a new location in the universe. Apparently according to quantum theory there's an infinitesimally small chance, and I'm talking tiny here, that a particle under certain conditions will spontaniously transit itself to another part of the universe instantly. The Galactica drive just makes this happen to all the particles in the ship and contents at the same time and it pics a destination.

The Cylons seem to have better jump engines because even their small fighters can mount ones that can get from Galactica back to Caprica in a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
                        Spoiler:
                        How will the blackbird jump to the enemy fleet??
                        Spoiler:
                        I was wondering about this in the Pegasus 210 forum, and I'm convinced that the Blackbird is restricted to FTV (faster than viper) flight. Someone in the forum thought that the Cylon Heavy Raider FTL might have been incorporated into the Blackbird, but with two engines already, I found that unlikely, not to mention pure speculation.

Starbuck's just going to have to pull a hard burn and hope for the best.

If Stinger and Apollo show up amidst the Cylon fleet with Whiplash and Thumper in anything but Raptors, I'll be a bit disapointed in the writing.

Hopefully RDM will be able to overlook this by having the Cylon Fleet pre-empt the recon squad's jump, and arrive within burn range of the Colonial Fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                          I actually found a website a while ago that explained how this type of FTL engine would theoretically work in respect to the new BSG series. Apparently they actually did some homework here and tried to pick an FTL method with as much grounding in "maybe possible" as one can expect when we're talking about things like FTL methods.

If I rememebr correctly it works be exploiting some facet of quantum theory that essentially moves all the matter in the ship to a new location in the universe. Apparently according to quantum theory there's an infinitesimally small chance, and I'm talking tiny here, that a particle under certain conditions will spontaniously transit itself to another part of the universe instantly. The Galactica drive just makes this happen to all the particles in the ship and contents at the same time and it pics a destination.

The Cylons seem to have better jump engines because even their small fighters can mount ones that can get from Galactica back to Caprica in a short time.
                          Their engines are probably more efficient than Colonial ones. High powered computers allow for more efficient calculations and such. Also, design is an issue as well.

Comment

Ron Moore states in his blog that it is some sort of spacefolding system.

Comment

i've seen this method before. in these Japanese anime flicks from the early '70s called Space Battleship Yamato(US title: Star Blazers) they would calculate, countdown to and execute a "warp" and the ship would just disappear and re-appear somewhere else. The characters would have a trippy out-of-body experience and sometimes go unconscious. Robotech from the '80s used a similar method and there was an episode called "Space Fold" where the ship and a huge globe of space surrounding it including a populated island and the ocean were instantaneously transported out to the orbit of pluto. somehow they rescued the people and brought them aboard this huge galactica sized ship. there were giant frozen tuna floating in space, one of which our hero goes EVA and grabs when he and a young lady are trapped in a remote part of the ship. Anyway, this is all to say that this method of ftl has been done before. I prefer it to flying down tunnels in hyperspace, which has never made any logical sense to me - and only done well in star wars.

Comment

Working...
                              X