This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battlestar Galatica tech.

I don't think BGS's technology is that far ahead of our. The only things they have that we don't is the FTL drive, their engines, and their power source. I think their only 100 or 200 years ahead of us judging by the scenes on Kaprina.
    I'm from Iowa, United States

That is exactly what the show wants. The colonials are in an odd situation, where they have to discard a couple of hundred years of technology but there are some technologies like artificial gravity or the FTL drives that are still possible. Its discribed as retro futuristic technology, buy the season 1 DVD Ron Moore explains it allot.

Comment

Originally posted by ronsmytheiii
      That is exactly what the show wants. The colonials are in an odd situation, where they have to discard a couple of hundred years of technology but there are some technologies like artificial gravity or the FTL drives that are still possible. Its discribed as retro futuristic technology, buy the season 1 DVD Ron Moore explains it allot.
      Yup. I watched/listened to the commentary on "You Can't Go Home Again" last night, and they were talking about how on Star Trek, this would never happen the same way. Because the technology is so advanced, they'd have to spend most of the episode explaining why they can't use such and such equipment. Otherwise they could just magically find her using the sensors and beam her out with the transporters and there wouldn't be a story to tell.

I like the fact that they're technology isn't that advanced. It gives it more of a realistic quality, and lets the show be more about the characters rather than the equipment.
      Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
      Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

We have no way of knowing where the Colonials technology level is. They seem to have purposely downgraded their technology because of the Cylons. Also they have some very advanced technology other than just a jump drive. Anti-gravity and inertia dampeners are perhaps less flashy than a hyper jump but probably just as important in actual space travel.
        The Galactica is 3 things. 1 it's a warship not a cruiseliner. So it's going to be rougher looking by it's very nature. 2 it was a ship that was purposely downgraded to avoid Cylon hacking. And 3 it's OLD and was ready to be retired. The Colonial fleet wouldn't have bothered updating the Galactica just to turn it into a museum ship.

Comment

Who knows. The Colonials may have revolutionary alloy and materials technology. Also, engine technologies as well.

Computing seems severely hampered. As you can see, they have LCD screens and other such devices.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
            Who knows. The Colonials may have revolutionary alloy and materials technology. Also, engine technologies as well.

Computing seems severely hampered. As you can see, they have LCD screens and other such devices.
            The colonials certainly have revolutionary materials technology. The fact that the Galactica can withstand multiple nuclear detonations very near its hull testifie to that. Oddly, the mull plating which can withstand a multi-megaton nuclear explosion doesn't seem to be that effective against conventional explosives and impacts.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00

I've had a CRT screen since 1997, however the screen tells me nothing about how advanced the computer operating it is.

Originally posted by hyzmarca
              The colonials certainly have revolutionary materials technology. The fact that the Galactica can withstand multiple nuclear detonations very near its hull testifie to that. Oddly, the mull plating which can withstand a multi-megaton nuclear explosion doesn't seem to be that effective against conventional explosives and impacts.
              Probably because in Space, a nuclear explosion is mostly just a big flash and some radiation.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

My favorite 'gadget' that I've seen on the show is the 'safe-atmosphere' tester that Kara uses after she crashlands. It's good to see such a simple looking physical tester rather than some fancy electronic sensor that computes whether the atmosphere is safe or not.

Comment

a lot of the tech seems near our like the rocket engines on the raptors and any of the weapons they use but any civilisation that can create sentient ai must be very advanced

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150
                    a lot of the tech seems near our like the rocket engines on the raptors and any of the weapons they use but any civilisation that can create sentient ai must be very advanced
                    Therein lies the point. Sentient AI units are extremely advanced and are things we haven't come properly close to. Based on that alone, I'd say that the Colonials are extremely advanced, but circumstances have forced them to place most of that technological expertise under a taboo heading.

MG

Comment

Not necessarily... the "lord of kobol" may have given them the technology to build cylons. To make their lives easier among the new colonies.

Comment

Though explosions were from the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by apollokiev
                          My favorite 'gadget' that I've seen on the show is the 'safe-atmosphere' tester that Kara uses after she crashlands. It's good to see such a simple looking physical tester rather than some fancy electronic sensor that computes whether the atmosphere is safe or not.
                          I like that, too. I think we have something like that in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-1ssm
                            Though explosions were from the inside.
                            True, but hull plating ca[pible of surviving the heat produce by a nuclear explosion should be able to survive the overpressure of a small conventional explosion.
                            I suppose that the water storage tanks may have been less armored then the rest of the ship. It isn't like their damage exposed any crew to a vaccume. However, it doesn't make sense to make something that is so vital to the ship even more vulnerable to attack.

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                            Probably because in Space, a nuclear explosion is mostly just a big flash and some radiation
                            Explosions in a vaccume don't produce any overpressure, but they do release a great deal of energy in various forms, including heat. Certainly, a nuclear explosion produces enough energy to severely damage any nearby materials even without the advantage of overpressure. It really becomes a matter of how far the ship was from the detonation. The Sun is just a bright flash and some radiation. That doesn't mean that I would want to fly into it. Anything that gets too close will soo melt. Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember Cylon nuclear warheads impacting on the Galactica's hullplating.

Logically, an anti-ship nucks would be equiped with shape-charge style liquid penetrators to take advantage of the massive amount of energy released by the reaction. Extreme pressure within a warhead would serve to propel molten metal at very high velocity. The molten penetrator would have a very might probability of defeating the hull armor. Unfortunatly, the cylon warheads don't seem to have been designed specifically to defeat battlestar armor.

Comment

Logically, an anti-ship nucks would be equiped with shape-charge style liquid penetrators to take advantage of the massive amount of energy released by the reaction. Extreme pressure within a warhead would serve to propel molten metal at very high velocity. The molten penetrator would have a very might probability of defeating the hull armor. Unfortunatly, the cylon warheads don't seem to have been designed specifically to defeat battlestar armor.
                              I think the Cylons were relying on their greater computing power ability. Lets face it, if not for the older Vipers the Raiders from the mini series could have just pecked away at Galactica and Galactica couldn't even have maneuvered. Hell, they could have taken more control over the Battlestar's computer systems and forced galactica to open her flight pods and fired directly into the ship itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X