Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serenity: Post-Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albion
    Well, I've been pleasantly surprised to note that it's had almost overwhelming criticial acclaim over here in the UK so far. Every critic I've read is enthusing wildly over it. One saying it's 'the blockbuster movie you've been waiting for all year'. I've also noticed that almost every critic compares Serenity to the final Star Wars movie (sorry forgotten it's name - was never interested) and says it knocks SW into touch in all areas - plot, characters - but most especially in the realm of SFX.
    Return of the Sith was okay... but the dialogue was clunky and the acting between the two leads was bland... it was problematic from start to finish. But Serenity is a terrific film in everyway...

I was really looking forward to Serenity...until I came into this thread and discovered they killed off Wash. I hadn't expected a character death. I don't like character deaths generally in the SF shows, I watch. So now, to be honest, I'm having second thoughts.

Albion
    Albion... you didn't...!
    Well, I don't like character deaths as a rule, whether in scifi or in any other genre. But with one fire fight after another... it was inevitable...
    I think it was appropriate in light of the film's dark tone.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I just want to say I saw Serenity for the second time today... it's still awesome

I haven't really watched Firefly, only caught parts before Stargate, but now I really want to just watch every episode

Atlantis Base offers greetings from the Pegasus Galaxy
      "Just when you think you're not in Kansas anymore, it turns out you are."

http://babyseals.care2.com/
      www.stopthesealhunt.com

Comment

I went to see Serenity last night! It was awesome!
        I love the fact you had all the sad parts and the parts that made you jump but all the way through it still had a load of parts that made you laugh.

I just thought it was brilliant, in terms of showing us the characters again and just the storyline. The whole reavers thing was creepy and reminded me of stephen king type novels.

I didn't cry at Books death (but then I never really liked him on Firefly) but I was getting teary eye when Wash got stabbed and also when River was crying out about the people on the planet, and speaking all that chinese stuff.

Just a brilliant film!

Comment

I just watched the movie again last night...! Great movie..!

I never really watched the TV series, but the movie passed all expectations..! I only go see a movie more than once if it is really good. This was really good.
          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

I never really got into Firefly its first time around. I can't remember why. I have started getting into it more now that it's on SciFi. My wife & I went and saw Serinity last night. I had heard that there was going to be a character death but didn't know who. All I knew was that the person who had mentioned it was mad enough that they said they almost walked out at that point, because it was their favorite character. I thought she was talking about Sheppard when they reached that scene, and couldn't figure out why they were so mad about it. Sheppard's death was done well. He went out fighting but held on long enough to say goodbye. Then I reached the point where Wash died and finally understood why she was so ticked. That's the only part of the movie that I didn't like. Wash's death struck me as really serving not much more purpose than shock value. I understand what Joss Wheadon was trying to do there - dramaticly demonstrate that they weren't out of the woods yet - but there's other ways that that could have been done. Beyond that, I thought everything else about the movie was awesome.
            My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

Ok, I just got in from seeing the film and wow. It was awesome.Very surprised about him killing off Wash and Book and quite disappointed that Wash really got killed. I thought it was excellent written and it was nice to see the mystery of the Reavers told. The production design was fabulous, as was the score and it was nicely directed.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I just found my ticket for Serenity so that I can treasure it always LOL (I'm the kinda person who does stupid things like that) and I have persuaded all of my friends to go see the movie! YAY I'm going to go see it again!

Comment

I keep my ticket stubs in the flip-out section of my wallet.

Comment

I shall definetly be going to see this again.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

"Start with the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a 90 pound girl cause that never gets old."

"So he beat up Mal? That ain't so hard to do."

"Can make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence or is this the wrong crowd?"

Those were the funniest lines. I think I was the only one who laughed. What's wrong with people?

Comment

Mal: Define interesting.

Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die?

Mal: We may experience some turbulence and then... explode.

Ahhh classic moments.

Comment

I saw this again this weekend, and there were quite a few things I missed from the first viewing, including how Kaylee's video about Inara shows River sniffing the bed. ;D

Memorable lines:
                          I think I swallowed a bug.

Is he ok!? (Mal to Kaylee)

Did you see us fight?
                          No.
                          Trap!

If anything happens to me, you take this ship and you come and rescue me.

Favorite line: I aim to misbehave.

Comment

Just saw it today. Very well done.

Wash and Book died... I know from Buffy that Joss Whedon is not averse to killing off characters, including main characters. It still took me by surprise that not one, but two main characters died.
                            I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

I heard they made it on a budget of 60 million. I was a little disappointed by the episodic feel of the movie, but considering the financial limitations, I say well done Mr Whedon.

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

50 million.

Anybody else notice the little continuity error with Inara's weapon? I only picked it up fourth time around, but she switches back and forth between a bow and the automated bow/gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X