Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serenity: Post-Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L-JADE
    *blushes* I have some more thought added to my post.
    But I still think that Wash death is too much, maybe Joss was being to idealistic and go with his story (which is good all the time) but IMO it hurt the movie itself, it give a closure, and I don't feel the NEED to see a sequel, it's good as it is, unlike the final eps of Firefly which made me wanting to see more, does that make sense ?
    Except in the 'how is this bad?' arena. If the movie is true to itself instead of the box office, I don't see that this can possibly be a bad thing. Even if it means no more Firefly movies, it means no crappy commericalised Firefly movies at all.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

i've been sick all week so i only, finally saw serenity today, but i'm glad i waited, because it allowed me to see every episode of firefly first.

this, i think, is my film of the year. it was amazing. and i understand the (film making) reasons for the character deaths, but i was shocked! i know i shouldn't have been cos its joss, but i was. but joss does have that effect on me. i don't cry at films (i'm dead inside!), but when i saw wash's dinosaur toys in the cockpit at the end, i really started to tear up.

there was so much about this film that i loved. i came away from it with one thought, "joss whedon should write/direct EVERYTHING! nothing can top this today." and i was right.

my only thing with it was, i wish sheppard book had had a bigger role, and i wish there was a mal/inara kiss, but i can live without these things for this kind of quality.

funniest line (and i'm putting spoiler tags on it cos its a tad risque for a family forum):
      Spoiler:

kaylee; "ain't nothin' touched my nethers for a year that weren't battery run" and then mal's reaction! hilarious

Comment

FINALLY got to see the flick...

OH
        MY
        GOD!!!

Did Wash really die?!? I was in shock for a bit.... I just couldn't believe it! I had NO IDEA it was even coming! Um, was Zoe wearing her wedding dress at the end though?

Those Reevers gave me nightmares though... and all the blood and skeletons and stuff all over the ships... **shiver**

I'm glad Kaylee & Simon finally got it on too heh
        BSG convert....

Comment

Originally posted by Kookaburra
          FINALLY got to see the flick...

OH
          MY
          GOD!!!

Did Wash really die?!? I was in shock for a bit.... I just couldn't believe it! I had NO IDEA it was even coming! Um, was Zoe wearing her wedding dress at the end though?

Those Reevers gave me nightmares though... and all the blood and skeletons and stuff all over the ships... **shiver**

I'm glad Kaylee & Simon finally got it on too heh
          when i saw zoe in the dress i actually found it really weird, especially with the look on her face. all i could see was jasmine from angel.

loved seeing more reever development and backstory.

i too am pleased that kaylee and simon did things. great scene too.

Comment

This movie definitely did a lot for my liking of the entire series. I picked up the series yesterday, and have already enjoyed the first few eps. It was sad to see some of the cast "go" in the movie. Definitely a shocker, though.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Um, was Zoe wearing her wedding dress at the end though?
              Dunno, but it was a hell of a slinky dress

Comment

Um, was Zoe wearing her wedding dress at the end though?
                In Chinese culture, white is the color of mourning, not black. Given the strong Asian influence on the Firefly-verse, it seems appropriate that she was in white.

I was disappointed, ultimately. I was hoping to be blown away, and I just got an okay Sci-Fi film. The Reavers were the ultimate disappointment for me. I liked the idea that they were a bunch of guys who just went nuts in the void. I thought that was a much creepier idea than the whole "experiment run amok" thing - which has frankly been done to death many times before. I was just distressed by the sheer number of Science Fiction cliches found in the movie. I was expecting a little more from Joss Whedon.

::lights an incense stick for Hobarth Washburn::

Continue soaring on the wind, my friend...

Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                What have these years left to me?
                Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy
                  In Chinese culture, white is the color of mourning, not black. Given the strong Asian influence on the Firefly-verse, it seems appropriate that she was in white.
                  I don't think it's just that... although that is partly true...
                  Dark colours such as black, navy blue and even green are also colours worn during the mourning period. At the actual funeral and wake... the immediate family members of the deceased do put on sack cloth which, if memory serves, is not strictly white... off white or beige...
                  I think the dress has much more to do with what White Knight was alluding to, the incident in Shindig where Zoe said that she prefers a slinky dress and Wash asking Mal for money to buy one.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                    I don't think it's just that... although that is partly true...
                    Dark colours such as black, navy blue and even green are also colours worn during the mourning period. At the actual funeral and wake... the immediate family members of the deceased do put on sack cloth which, if memory serves, is not strictly white... off white or beige...
                    I think the dress has much more to do with what White Knight was alluding to, the incident in Shindig where Zoe said that she prefers a slinky dress and Wash asking Mal for money to buy one.
                    Oh, that's such a sweet idea. Mal gave Zoe the money to buy a slinky dress--for Wash.
                    -girlgater

Comment

I have finally managed to watch the movie…..WOW it was excellent. Although I was really gutted when Wash and Book were killed …..I didn’t see that coming! Still the movie was brill and it was good to see Simon and Kaylee getting together.

Comment

I just seen the movie tonight and While I enjoyed it I have to say it seemed a bit below the level of the show. Which I just seen this week. It would be nice that to see more eps but I really don't see that happening.
                        "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                          The Operative is a fantastic character. You really do get that sense of belief. I hope we don't see him again though, cos I really liked his last lines, where he said that Mal wouldn't.
                          My read was that he killed himself. There really wasn't much left for him, and he knew he was being evil the whole time. He thought it was for a higher purpose; with that gone, I don't think he could justify his actions. And of course, he certainly was into the whole suicide thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Khaim
                            My read was that he killed himself. There really wasn't much left for him, and he knew he was being evil the whole time. He thought it was for a higher purpose; with that gone, I don't think he could justify his actions. And of course, he certainly was into the whole suicide thing.
                            Belief doesn't work like that. Belief isn't just there then gone like a fart in the wind. Honestly that was one of the disappointing parts of the movie for me. Well that and the whole final fight between Mal and the Operative. And Mal having the ONE injure in the war that saves his life. God it was going so good until that point. Why couldn't the Operative just die in orbit like a good solder it would have made me happy.
                            "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

I finally got to see this just recently and it blew me away.
                              The space shots of Serenity were beautiful. I enjoy the dark ambience of Miranda, that was good.
                              I was disappointed at how they killed off
                              Spoiler:
                              Walsh.

That made me feel like that had nothing to do with the story whatsoever. Just a little senseless death there IMO.
                              I love how River's character was explored. That I thoroughly enjoyed.
                              All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                              Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Khaim
                                there's two possibilities here as far as i'm concerned. he either killed himself (which i personally believe) or he went off and became a sheppard like Book. there were hints that book was once a man like the operative, or the assasin from the last ep of firefly. well those are my theories, and i know i'm not entirely alone with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X