Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serenity: Post-Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nathanaus
    Firefly is Serentiy yes? I've seen the Serenity movie. Is that not what this thread is about?
    No, have you seen the TV series Firefly, to which Serenity is a sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
      No, have you seen the TV series Firefly, to which Serenity is a sequel.
      Nope never seen it

Comment

Nope never seen it
        Just wondered.

Comment

Just wondered.
          Care to elaborate?

Comment

Care to elaborate?
            Er, that was about it, really.

Comment

Er, that was about it, really.
              Right then, glad we got that all cleared up!

Comment

If you'd seen Firefly then it would be a fair assumption that you'd liked it or you'd not have bothered seeing Serenity. People who disliked the film aren't hard to find; for a lot it's just Not Their Thing, but actual Firefly Fans who dislike the film are rarer. It's interesting to hear from them why they disliked it, especially if their reason ISN'T that Wash died.

The most thought-provoking (JMO) comment from a browncoat who didn't like the film was that Firefly was all about the little people, doing their little things, running away when they had to and winning their tiny little battles when they got lucky or inspired. Serenity was about little people becoming big people in the big picture, and however briefly and unwillingly they became important it shifted the focus of the thing from what that particular fan had first fallen in love with.

I get that, but I think the story we were told had enough good stuff to more than compensate for the loss of the claustrophobic little picture that I also loved in Firefly.

Madeleine

Comment

I'd say that Firefly and Serenity aren't too disimilar. Its still the same characters who, for the most part, are doing the same basic things. The only big differences are that their goal is grander (though not so grand in the scheme of things - all they did was what people do in newspapers every day) and their enemies are more dangerous (either 'cause they're new or 'cause they're a little closer).
                  The crew encountered Reavers in Firefly, its just that in the movie, they had to fight them rather than run. The crew tangled with the Alliance in Firefly (Serenity, The Train Job, Ariel, Trash), just not with someone so dangerous as the Operative. The crew believed in doing the right thing in the series (The Train Job, The Message), but doing the right thing was always a damn sight easier than sneaking and shooting Reavers, outsmarting the Alliance and fighting a guy dressed like who knows some Smackdown Fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                    The most thought-provoking (JMO) comment from a browncoat who didn't like the film was that Firefly was all about the little people, doing their little things, running away when they had to and winning their tiny little battles when they got lucky or inspired. Serenity was about little people becoming big people in the big picture, and however briefly and unwillingly they became important it shifted the focus of the thing from what that particular fan had first fallen in love with.
                    While I see that where that browncoat is coming from (and would even agree with their analysis of the series), I would like to add that the big picture was always lurking in the background. For instance, the Blue Sun Corporation, and the government conspiracy to turn gifted children into psychic assassins was an ongoing arc crying out for resolution. Sooner or later things would have come to a head. To me that was always inevitable when one considers that River is an escaped fugitive being hunted down by agents of all descriptions. But the way the story began was also hinted that it wouldn't be long before Mal and the full force of the Alliance would come head to head.
                    On a more practical side: I think it suits the television format to have the little battles and little victories but the film was made for a wider audience not just people who have seen the television series so it had to bigger and more kickass. The believability of the little guy though came from Mal's spiral into darkness and his redemption.

Ultimately I think, it all depends whether the little differences or shocks are enough to put you off the film entirely.
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I agree Easter Lily. I think if the series had continued this story still would have been told, with some obvious tweaks and a smaller budget. Prolly as a season finale. This is River's story, and the series had been building up to it anyway.
                      And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                      Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                      Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                      Daniel: Oh! You see?
                      Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                        While I see that where that browncoat is coming from (and would even agree with their analysis of the series), I would like to add that the big picture was always lurking in the background. For instance, the Blue Sun Corporation, and the government conspiracy to turn gifted children into psychic assassins was an ongoing arc crying out for resolution. Sooner or later things would have come to a head. To me that was always inevitable when one considers that River is an escaped fugitive being hunted down by agents of all descriptions. But the way the story began was also hinted that it wouldn't be long before Mal and the full force of the Alliance would come head to head.
                        On a more practical side: I think it suits the television format to have the little battles and little victories but the film was made for a wider audience not just people who have seen the television series so it had to bigger and more kickass. The believability of the little guy though came from Mal's spiral into darkness and his redemption.

Ultimately I think, it all depends whether the little differences or shocks are enough to put you off the film entirely.
                        Most of what you say I can't comment on as I'm not sure what you are talking about. However, this part:
                        Originally posted by Easter Lily
                        On a more practical side: I think it suits the television format to have the little battles and little victories but the film was made for a wider audience not just people who have seen the television series so it had to bigger and more kickass.
                        I disagree. I don't think the film was made for a wider audience at all. Having not seen the TV series a lot was lost on me. I think that is where the movie's failing was. If the goal was to attract a wider audience, it alienated that wider audience by presuming people were fully aware of many of the small details. The movie was lost in the detail.
                        Last edited by Nathan; 12 December 2005, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I don't think the film was made for a wider audience at all. Having not seen the TV series a lot was lost on me. I think that is where the movie's failing was. If the goal was to attract a wider audience, it alienated that wider audience by presuming people were fully aware of many of the small details. The movie was lost in the detail.
                          Like what? I'm curious (as someone who was a fan of the show) what kind of stuff confused or was lost on people who weren't familiar with Firefly. Did you still enjoy the movie, or did that ruin it for you?
                          And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                          Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                          Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                          Daniel: Oh! You see?
                          Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Wow.... that was such a good movie. There is alot of closure after the last episodes of firefly, and i really enjoyed it. Cant wait to buy it and see it again Some minor issues i had with it though...

i still have this unsettling feeling because my beloved Wash died. I realize that the movie wouldnt have been the same without his death, but billers...he was my favorite. His goofy tshirts, his dinosaurs, his pillow talk which was so adorable, and of course his odd sense of humor will be missed.

Another thing i was questioning was Mal and Simon's relationship. When did he stop considering the Tams as part of his crew, i wonder. He threatened Jayne's life in Ariel because he betrayed them. In the movie they made seem like there was always this underlying contention between them, and i was trying to figure out where that came from

I was really glad to see they got a steering wheel for serenity though

Lizbeth
                            das haus ist gelb. ich liebe gelb!!

MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by StarzSkyMoon
                              Another thing i was questioning was Mal and Simon's relationship. When did he stop considering the Tams as part of his crew, i wonder. He threatened Jayne's life in Ariel because he betrayed them. In the movie they made seem like there was always this underlying contention between them, and i was trying to figure out where that came from.
                              I reckon it's something that's been escalating a while. It seems like Mal's turned down lots of jobs that would have been legal, safe and easy because of the Tams, and if he's decided to use River's skills during robberies it's probably a decision that Mal thinks is in River's interest (use River -> better chance of success -> more money -> money lasts longer, so they can go for longer spells before they need to do risky jobs close to alliance patrols -> River's safer) and all Simon can see is that River's close to where the bullets are and Mal can't see that Simon can't see that Mal thinks he *is* taking care of River. So Simon thinks Mal's heartless and Mal thinks simon's an ingrate, cos to each one a different half of the picture is obvious, and the other half invisible.

Madeleine

Comment

Another thing i was questioning was Mal and Simon's relationship. When did he stop considering the Tams as part of his crew, i wonder. He threatened Jayne's life in Ariel because he betrayed them. In the movie they made seem like there was always this underlying contention between them, and i was trying to figure out where that came from
                                I think part of that came from Mal's anger and bittereness that had festered since Inara and Book left. And part of it probably was, as Madeline said, frustration on both their parts. Simon is getting pushy that Mal wants to take his fugitive sister on bank jobs, and Mal's just pushing right back. Wouldn't you be pissed off if the Captain took your sister on a simple job, and comes back with Reavers on thier tail? And wouldn't you be pissed off if you got punched for above reason?

Comment

Working...
                                X