I figured it out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured it out!

Watching DS9 today, someone said bearing one eight zero mark zero. I thought that meant they were heading to the extreme south pole of the galaxy but then I realized she said "bearing", not "heading".

Heading is an absolute direction to head when going someplace. Bearing is where you want to go in relation to whats in front of you.

So, if you want to go 180 mark 0 when you're docked at the station, you want to turn around and head away from the station.

BRILLIANT!

Comment

I never really cared, lol

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
        Watching DS9 today, someone said bearing one eight zero mark zero. I thought that meant they were heading to the extreme south pole of the galaxy but then I realized she said "bearing", not "heading".

Heading is an absolute direction to head when going someplace. Bearing is where you want to go in relation to whats in front of you.

So, if you want to go 180 mark 0 when you're docked at the station, you want to turn around and head away from the station.
        Great work! Now i won't get lost so much when flying the Dart around.

Comment

I'm glad you figured that out. I had no idea what they were talking about and after reading your post and thinking about it, it seems relatively simple.
          Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
          Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Bearing and heading are both taken from the nautical terms we use today.

Heading is the direction the ships bow is facing, and IIRC, in Star Trek is measured from the centre of the galaxy.

Bearing is a direction relative to the heading of the ship.

Both are measured with two numbers from 0-360 degrees, as an angle in a circle.

With bearing the first number denotes a postion in the same plane as the ship (with 0 degrees straight ahead and increasing to 360 degrees as the ship turns to the left), the second denotes a postion vertical to the ship.

So a bearing of 0 mark 0 is straight ahead of the ship. Bearing 180 mark 0 is directly behind the ship as you correctly surmised babaganoosh . Bearing 90 mark 0 would be a 90 degree left (or port) turn. And 0 mark 90 would mean the ship was facing 90 degrees straight up from its previous position.

A little confusing without a pic but I can't find one at the mo'!!! But you get the idea.

Comment

I'm suprised it took you this long to figure that out. Then again, I have the complete collection of the Star Trek fact files which includes stuff like that.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
                I'm suprised it took you this long to figure that out. Then again, I have the complete collection of the Star Trek fact files which includes stuff like that.
                It's not just a Star Trek thing, it's a geometry thing. It's pretty simple. Frankly, I thought everyone knew this already. I'm kind of amused that someone has been hopelessly pondering this for over a decade.
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Sorry if I offended anyone.

I'll keep the little things that amuse me to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                    It's not just a Star Trek thing, it's a geometry thing. It's pretty simple. Frankly, I thought everyone knew this already. I'm kind of amused that someone has been hopelessly pondering this for over a decade.
                    Yeah but I'm a complete failure at Maths and Geometry. I only just scraped a C at my GCSE

Comment

Sorry if I offended anyone.

I'll keep the little things that amuse me to myself.
                      You didn't offend anyone, we just thought it a bit strange. Feel free to share it's good stuff to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
                        Yeah but I'm a complete failure at Maths and Geometry. I only just scraped a C at my GCSE
                        LOL, math is the only "F" on my high school transcript (also my only non-A so it didn't really hurt me...just made it clear to colleges that I shouldn't be a math major ).
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

ah the saying is true...you learn something new everyday...
                          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

There was an episode with Lore where Wesley actually explains that concept.
                            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Working...
                            X