Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Firefly/Serenity FAQ Thread

The purpose of this thread is to provide some basic information about the series and film to newcomers. With the film and television series gathering momentum in the US and other parts of the world, there is increasing interest in the Firefly universe.

What is Firefly?

Firefly is a science-fiction western set 500 years in humanity's future. The earth that we know of (referred to in the series and film as "Earth that Was") became overpopulated and humanity gradually settled in the outer reaches of space by terraforming planets and moons.
    This universe has a somewhat cosmopolitan feel but the two dominant cultures appear to be American (hence the western theme) and Chinese. In this particular era, most of the human race seem to be bilingual at least with English and Chinese as the lingua franca. The Chinese used in the television series and film are mainly Mandarin and Cantonese.

The exploits of the crew take place largely on a ship called Serenity, which is a Firefly model spacecraft. The stories revolve around the activities of its 9 member crew.

What is Serenity?
    Serenity is the name of the film based on the Firefly series. It opened on the 29 September in Australia and New Zealand, and on the 30 Sept in the US. The film is set eight months after the events of the final episode.

"Serenity" is also the name of the television pilot which was made to provide some backstory to the characters and subsequent events of the series.

What is the Alliance?
    The Alliance is the main political power of this universe. They govern through a body of individuals referred to in the film as the "Parliament". Unlike the Federation (of Star Trek), the Alliance has malevolent undertones of Big Brother proportions.
    At one stage during its history, the Alliance attempted to bring all planets under its control under the guise of "Unification". Many planets in the outer regions resisted and war ensued between the Alliance and the Independents or Browncoats.
    Last edited by Easter Lily; October 1st, 2005 at 02:00 PM.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Default EL, I got your PM

Also about the name 'Serenity' - both the Film and the ninety minute pilot episode were called Serenity. So I wondered: are folks calling the pilot something else now to avoid confusion? ('Pilot' has a catchy sort of sound to it, dontchathink? )

Madeleine

Default Re: EL, I got your PM

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W
    Also about the name 'Serenity' - both the Film and the ninety minute pilot episode were called Serenity. So I wondered: are folks calling the pilot something else now to avoid confusion? ('Pilot' has a catchy sort of sound to it, dontchathink? )
    Who knows... it might be come "The Pilot"... although, I suppose it wasn't the original pilot... One of the strange quirks of Fox's programming The Train Job was the original pilot if it can be called that...
    While there are parallels between the film and the television pilot, they have quite a different feel individually.
    Thanks for making it "stick".

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Default Re: EL, I got your PM

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily
    Who knows... it might be come "The Pilot"... although, I suppose it wasn't the original pilot... One of the strange quirks of Fox's programming The Train Job was the original pilot if it can be called that...
    While there are parallels between the film and the television pilot, they have quite a different feel individually.
    Thanks for making it "stick".
    Serenity is still the pilot. Sometimes TV shows don't air the pilot at the beginning of the series. Sometimes, never at all. I would hate to have Serenity (the episode) lose its name. I would prefer to call it Serenity - the Pilot or Serenity - the Episode. Or some such.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/Mala50/BlueirisSig.jpg
    ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Default Re: The Firefly/Serenity FAQ Thread

Do I need to watch the Firefly series in order to understand the Serenity movie?

In short, no. While it would certainly enhance your experience of the film to know something of the backstory of the characters, the events in the movie are reasonably self-explanatory.

Do I need to read the Tie-In Comics to understand the events in Serenity?

Again, no. However, the comics cover events leading up to the film and does provide explaination as to absence of certain cast members.They also chart Malcolm Reynold's state of mind and offer a context for the growing tension among the crew.
    Firefly virgins coming cold to the universe would probably not notice anything amiss.
    The comics are published by Dark Horse Comics:
    http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=10-755
    Last edited by Easter Lily; October 5th, 2005 at 04:35 AM.

Questions from a noob to Firefly/Serenity -

1. What is with all the Chinese in the film? I've only seen the movie and not the series as of yet, though it's airing now on satellite starting this Wednesday and I plan on catching every ep... it just threw me that heaps of times, characters, most of whom were not Oriental in appearance, were saying things or cussing and the like in the film, supposedly, in Cantonese or Mandarin! There has to be a reason to it, can anyone fill me in as to why this is?

2. What is the Alliance's actual purpose post-war with the Independants? Are they still actively involved in military operations with certain factions or persons? Was this covered in the series?

3. Who was that bad guy who was able to control such a vast collection of Alliance forces? A special representative of the Parliment, surely... is this charater, in the movie, the first example of his kind in the Firefly universe?

Thanks for taking the time out to read this post, I would appreciate some answers if anyone out there knows them. Thanks alot!

Capt

Will the show ever come back cos I have watched some of the series and I have seen the film about 10 times and I love it
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Why didnt they just teraform planets/moons in our solar sytem. There is abour 100 moons in our solarsystem that we know of and they could have terraformed mars.

Quote Originally Posted by !!?? View Post
    Why didnt they just teraform planets/moons in our solar sytem. There is abour 100 moons in our solarsystem that we know of and they could have terraformed mars.
    There's nothing to suggest that they didn't.
    But Mal wanted to be as far away from the Alliance as much as he could so the stories tend to revolve around outer planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily View Post
    There's nothing to suggest that they didn't.
    But Mal wanted to be as far away from the Alliance as much as he could so the stories tend to revolve around outer planets.
    They said in the beginning of the faq that it was in a different system i was talking about our solar system.

First Lieutenant

I'd be surprised if there was any additional info, since Book's past is one of the great mysteries of Firefly. I had always just assumed that it would remain mysterious after the chat Book has with Mal in Serenity, where he flat out tells Mal that in regards to Book's past he doesn't have to know.

Yeah, I remember Book saying that. I was hoping that Joss may have provided info in another interview that I missed. But, yes, a great mystery.

Anyone know where I could find some Firefly smilies?

I was up late one night ( after midnight), and Firefly Episode 1 appeared on my TV. There had been no advertising for it, and I didn't know about it at all. I was lucky to see the series. I later bought the DVD set and movie. Great show, but typically it had no hope of success because of the lack of respect given to it and most other sci fi shown here in Australia. It's good that most of the cast have moved into other successful shows like Castle,V, Sarah Connors Chronicles etc. I hope they have more luck!!

Anyone see Cowboy Bebop, think Whedon definitely watched that before doing Firefly, this might have already been discussed. Sorry just got into this series recently.

Air Force Chief of Staff Everlovin's Avatar
    Dancing, singing, praising, and thanking!

This looks as likely a place as any to ask this question so here goes... Does the Firefly verse have a version of "frell" or "frack?" SyFy doesn't play Firefly often enough for me to remember.

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

They curse alot in Chinese but that's all I remember!

Hmm. Thank you, m'dear!

You should check this out:

http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Dictionary

Ok, just out of curiousity, is ther ea wiki page for absolutely everything?

Thanks for the link!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast