No announcement yet.

Rite of Passage (506)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My main problem with this episode was that they changed actress for Cassie, but didn`t change approach to the character. They should have because that new actress has different type of personality. The original Cassie was gentle or softer (don`t know how to describe it) so if she went little crazy it would be expansion of character and could be interesting to watch. But the new actress is tougher type, so with her it came out as she was ungrateful brat. And I don`t buy every teenager is like that, especially not those who lived through some hardships and new what they could loose.

So I think if they for example turned that first scene with B-Day to humor and Cassie would tell with laugh that she is too old to spend her B-Day with her mom and aunt, instead of being very annoyed, it would deliver the message about character (inpending sickness and teenage behavior) without half the people disliking the character. And similar changes should have been done through a whole episode. I think if they played with and shifted a nuances a little it could turned out as great episode. As it is now, I don`t care much about this ep cos I can`t get past how they portrayed Cassie.

I liked that they allowed Janet shine though.

Comment

Teenagers are very different from one day to the other - I found it well-portrayed, that girl had to be more of a fighter than a humerous girl.
      CARPE DIEM
      ANJA

Comment

You have to keep the character consistent, even when the actress changes, or it isn't the same character.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Three of my favorite things are present in this episode, which is one of my all time favorites in SG-1's run: Fraiser front and center, one of my favorite Goa'uld - Nirrti, and Daniel/Janet teasing.
          What could a girl like possibly want more? =D

It has a good story. Good team moments and the whole of the SGC is actively involved. The discovery of what Nirrti was up to and the realization that with Chronus off the board, she's free to go wherever she likes. We go back to Hanka and find out what else was going on on that planet and with the people. Our first glimpse into the concept of a Hok'Taur (will be back in season 6) and Doctor Fraiser taking up arms against Nirrti.

Two of my all-time favorite scenes happen in this episode, namely Janet holding that gun on Nirrti and General Hammond informing her she's Cassandra's mother. And Daniel telling Janet in the hallway that if there's anything they can do, she just has to ask. Daniel/Janet tease -- *thunk*

How would you rate SG-1's "Rite of Passage?"

Excellent -- what else? =P
          Good
          Fair
          Poor
          Terrible
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Its not bad but its not good. Sure its nice that a recurring character gets a story but i find myself bored with Cassandra and her mental abilities. I was more interested in Nirriti and making Hoktar. Although this episode does have the famous magnet line. Ill give it a faie
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I thought this was between good and fair. The teenage angst got a bit old real fast.

I loved Janet in this episode-- I felt her anguish! Loved that she pulled a gun on Nirrti! That brought the episode up for me.

I am now caught up with you guys, so my summer rewatch will continue on ahead. I will come back to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                I am now caught up with you guys, so my summer rewatch will continue on ahead. I will come back to visit.
                Mmm... yeah, you are... we generally get 3 episodes in a week. Fulltime job and no vacation (yet).

3-episode quiz: Red Sky, Rite Of Passage & Beast Of Burden

Jigsaw puzzle: Rite of Passage
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

11:46

We are on summer vacation, and I have no other shows that I am interested in, except So You Think You Can Dance, so I have lots of time to watch Stargate.

Comment

You could read a book
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

More like a good book series. I haven't found anything recently that has really kept my attention. I could maybe read The Belgariad again.

Comment

I sort of wish HBO had taken up David Eddings Belgariad rather than Game of Thrones.
                        http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                          I sort of wish HBO had taken up David Eddings Belgariad rather than Game of Thrones.
                          I would be happy to see someone do something with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                            I could maybe read The Belgariad again.
                            I loved that when it first came out, and now cannot read it. Having the extremely powerful, female magic user pat all the younger females on the head and say "there, there, it will be better after you have a baby" makes me gag.

That said, you can actually tell which of the books he was working on during 1981, when he was living in Spokane (not to mention that the map clearly depicts Washington state).

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                              I loved that when it first came out, and now cannot read it. Having the extremely powerful, female magic user pat all the younger females on the head and say "there, there, it will be better after you have a baby" makes me gag.

That said, you can actually tell which of the books he was working on during 1981, when he was living in Spokane (not to mention that the map clearly depicts Washington state).

Seaboe
                              I never noticed Polgara saying that so much, as her patronizing young people in general.

I never noticed that about Washington state--cool!

Comment

7 minutes 59 seconds
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X