No announcement yet.

Red Sky (505)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate where you're coming from with this argument, but, while altering the chemical composition of the K'tau sun isn't technically advancing the K'tau people artificially - it is interfering with the planet's development, albeit tangentially. The Asgard would be using their advanced technology to reverse a catastrophic chemical reaction in the sun - and that is interference in the natural course of events (in the sense that it's the natural course that a planet will die if its sun snuffs out). Yes the disaster has been caused by non-natural means - but the cause is irrelevant for our little grey allies.

The treaty only permits the Asgard to intervene if the threat is from a Goa'uld System Lord. They are not allowed to get involved with a treaty planet in any other way. This not only forbids 'artificial advancement' of a planet, but also getting involved where the problem is a natural disaster, an attacker who isn't a Goa'uld and (unfortunately) interplanetary visitors from Earth who have mucked up the protected planet's sun en route.

The Goa'uld would have gone to enormous lengths to ensure that the protected planets aren't suddenly bumped up with lots of tasty Asgard technology - and being galactic leaders in the Art of Sneakery, they'd quite naturally assume that the Asgard would be sneaky as they are. The only way they could absolutely guarantee to their (highly suspicious) satisfaction that the Asgard aren't exploiting any loopholes is to ensure that there aren't any loopholes to exploit. Thus, no protecting of the planets concerned unless the problem is a Goa'uld.

Spoiler:
    That was how Anubis got around the treaty when he re-directed the asteroid in Earth's direction. Despite the 'non-natural' nature of the event's cause (deliberate in this case rather than accidental as in SG1's mistake with the K'tau sun), an asteroid strike on a planet is, to all intents and purposes, a natural event, and thus the Asgard cannot get involved as there is no proof of an overt attack on Earth by a Goa'uld.

I don't believe that the Asgard are being deliberately callous - or that they're creatively interpreting the treaty in some horribly badly timed effort to persuade Jack that he's got to clean up this mess himself. They simply have no choice but to allow the K'tau people to be wiped out - or risk horrible consequences for all protected planets - including Earth.

Of course, we'll never know for sure who it was that saved the day - was Sam's last ditch effort the previously unavailable loophole that the Asgard needed before they could get involved? Or did she pull it off herself?
    sigpic

Comment

Everytime I see this episode I always think of one thing: why doesn't anyone get sunburned?
      And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
      Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
      Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
      Daniel: Oh! You see?
      Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
        Everytime I see this episode I always think of one thing: why doesn't anyone get sunburned?
        Either natural genetic mutation or else a little help from their Gods, the Asgard.

Comment

Either that or they've got a major trade agreement with Piz Buin.
          sigpic

Comment

The asgard must be getting miffed that we keep turning up on their protected planets and endangering them. Maybe they should give us a list so we can avoid them in the future.
            I thought the idea behind this one was a bit dodgy 'the wormhole carrying stuff into the sun'. Considrering the wormholes don't seem to go in straight lines I would have thought there was a slim chance of this happening and why hasn't it happened before.
            They didn't make the people very likeable either, so when the rocket was blown up and jack wanted to leave I was at the point where I didn't care.
            I can't say I didn't enjoy the episode though I just thought the story was a bit weak!

Comment

I like the idea TPTB had in this episode and that was that we cant always win, and in many ways we didnt we dont know what happend, who did restore the sun? and it was carried of beautifully

Comment

I absolutely agree.

Even after four years or so, SG1 are relatively new to the art of interplanetary wormhole travel, and are therefore on an extremely steep learning curve. It's inevitable that they're going to drop clangers as they go. What makes this episode worthwhile is that this clanger is the absolute ultimate whopper, and there's no advanced techological cavalry waiting in the wings to sweep in and save the day for them this time.

On a separate note regarding the mentality of those people who bombed the rocket. Their actions are absolutely extraordinary - massively self-important and horribly selfish given that their imposing their decision upon all of their fellow citizens regardless of whether or not they agree. To us, the thought of someone being able to save us from an impending apocalypse is the ultimate miracle. But, to them, it's the ultimate denial of their god's word - and they'd like us to get knotted and leave them all to expire faithfully, thank you very much. They clearly lack the agility of reasoning to consider the possibility that the strangers' activities might be at the very instigation of their Asgard 'god', and that Ragnarok might not be due just yet.

It’s a bit like a fable I read once about a guy who gets trapped in his house by rising floodwaters and completely refuses all offers of rescue from the Fire Brigade/RNLI/RAF chopper on the grounds that God will save him. When he’s finally swept off his roof and drowns, he arrives in heaven and demands to know why God didn’t save him – and God says, ‘I sent you two boats and a helicopter. What more did you want?’
                sigpic

Comment

This is overall a very good episode. It may have some bad points and i guess the whole village worshipping gods thing is wearing thin but they had a good idea with the red sky. The sky hadnt been a different colour since season 1's the first commandment when they made it orange.
                  Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I LOVE this episode has everthing for a stargate episode...........largly off world........something goes wrong (and it is relatively original)..........great sets...........not cop-out ending at the end..........nickname for the stargate(Annulus)..........good interaction with the inhabitants

Comment

There was a very funny quote in this episode where Jack is in the Asgard high council and says: We saved your little grey butts LOL! very funny
                      STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
                      legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

^yeh thats really funny ya can always expect something like that from Jack and i love the bit where Jack's tryin to convince the people that thor is really an alien...the things he says...hilarious...thats our Jack!
                        http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...el/friends.jpg

Comment

I think the best thing about this episode is the fact that the problem is entirely the fault of SG-1. I suppose they could claim the 'We didn't know this would happen' argument, but given what they did to get to K'tau, it wouldn't stand up very well.

We've got so used to SG-1 visiting a world and rescuing the people from some previously insoluble difficulty. Faced with lots of that sort of stuff, it's inevitable that they're going to start feeling fireproof. The fact that Sam was prepared to discard various safeguards in the Dialling computer is evidence enough of how cocky they were getting.

I don't imagine they'll be so prepared to ignore safety protocols in future!
                          Last edited by Chaka's_Mum; 16 July 2006, 11:13 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes.

It brings about another 'human' aspect of SG1 and also explains that activiating the Stargate wasn't a fluke!

Rick did some excellent bits in this one!
                            It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

This was a nice episode. The fact that SG-1 caused the problem was a good idea and worked well within the episode. I also liked the Puratin-esque look that was in the village and the attitudes of the people toward SG-1 reminded me a lot of what I read in Arthur Miller's classic The Crucible. The show's special effects were good, though the rocket explosion was very badly done and a little too obvious. The acting was also good, especially from RDA and his scenes in front of the Asgard high council were good. Overall, a good episode and above average. I give it a 8/10.

timdalton007

Comment

Originally posted by jazz!
                                Yes.

It brings about another 'human' aspect of SG1 and also explains that activiating the Stargate wasn't a fluke!

Rick did some excellent bits in this one!
                                Agreed. One of my favorites from this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X