No announcement yet.

SG3 Missions Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ Military Recruit Base ] { Cal Mykonos } { Administrator Donel } { Base Commandant Brigid }

Mykonos shook her head. "Susan, I wish with all my heart that I was lying. I'm not. Nine months ago we lost contact. A Tok'ra ship took a team to Earth's coordinates to see if it was a Gate problem. It wasn't. The solar system now has two asteroid belts. From the scatter of debris, the Tok'ra think it may have been a very large naquida bomb detonated on the surface."
    She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose to help hold back the sudden, threatening surge of tears. Taking a deep breath, she continued, "We've still got off world teams trickling in. People who'd been ambushed and were running for cover, people who'd managed to escape, even a couple of teams who'd been on long term survey missions off world."
    Hearing Brigid's gasp, Cal nodded to her, "Yes, Base Commander, it's that bad. We're here trading our land and our services in order to get medical supplies. The Tau'ri are officially an endangered species."

Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
    sigpic

Comment

[ Military Recruit Base ]

“I don’t have to sit here and listen to this b*****it!”
      Susan hissed and let her eyes shift between the two women then, all of a sudden, she rushed up from her chair, heading for the door.
      Thoughts running wild in her head as she ran towards the door, doubts starting to trickle their way through her mind. This had to be some sort of elaborate way to try and trick them all to reveal the codes of their IDC’s… ‘Cause what use would she have of it if the Earth wasn’t there anymore? She could just as well give it up? Like h£!! if she was going to tell them anything!

NPC - Lt. Susan Elliot

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence"

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Girl View Post
        < Lady Bridgid Infirmary >

Spoiler:
        Carrie followed the physician through the mist, more feeling, than actually seeing Searlait behind her; the air in the passage tickled her nose, almost making her sneeze and she grimaced heavily as she entered the clean room.
        Searlait smiled at her as she shook out her coverall, “No harm Physician, but you like a new student! One…” She grew silent for a second while searching for the right word, then smiled even bigger, “…eventually… adapt!”

Carrie rubbed her nose against her right upper arm in an attempt to quench the itch, still grimacing, “I sure hope so, because I’d really hate to feel like every time I had to scrub in.”
        The other surgeon shrugged, “One week and you do fine. Let’s prepare.”

Stepping up to the place next to Cear, Carrie grabbed the brush in the sink and started the procedure of scrubbing her hands and lower arms.
        ‘Finally something that resembles home…’ She pulled in a deep breath then grinned a little, that thought hadn’t crossed her mind until now that Gaia actually was home…
        Her thoughts were interrupted as Searlait handed her a lime green towel.
        “Dry, then I show how suit will fit.”

Looking over at Cear, Carrie gave her a smile, “One never gets to old to learn something new, uh?”
        Searlait quickly turned to grab the suits from their hangers, but not before Carrie could see an amused slime on her face.
        Once the surgeon turned back, her face was serious and Carrie could feel the change of atmosphere in the room as she was handed one of the suits.

Apparently you tucked your feet inside the pants and booties part of it, pulled it up and tightened the string around you waist. Then tucked your hands in the sleeves, adjusted the hood on your head and then someone, in this case Cear, closed the back with some sort of “zip-lock” for lack of better words.
        Carrie looked at Searlait as the woman adjusted the face mask, covering her mouth and nose, before doing the same herself, adjusting the rubber like bands on the sides of the hood to make it all fit comfortably around the face and head.

Searlait nodded towards Carrie and Cear, “You ready?”
        Carrie shot a fast look at Cear, “As ready as I’ll ever be…” and then followed the head of surgery through the doors in to the OR.

'Or not...'Another English word for the OR was ‘Operating theatre’ and that was the first word that came to mind when she entered and came to an abrupt halt inside of the room; operating table with equipments and instrument trays in the middle of the room and a surgical team gathered around it, ready start the procedure as soon as the patient arrived. ‘Aquarium’ was the second word that came to mind…
        Three of the walls were entirely made of glass, and behind them were rows of seats climbing up towards the ceiling, and from the looks of things, the rumor had spread though out the hospital and there were not only young students occupying the seats…

Carrie pulled in a deep breath; the pterodactyls made a quick return and rummaged around in her intestines, then leaned towards Cear as they crossed the room towards the table, “Looks like you forgot to mention the audience?”

Gracious Lady Searlait – Physician, head of surgery.
        [ Lady Bridgid Infirmary ] {Gracious Lady Cear - First Physician Instructor} {Delwyn - Sr. Attendant} {Student Efa}

Cear looked just as startled by the audience, "So many! It never seems so many when on the other side of the glass."
        She squirmed a little inside the rarely worn surgical scrub suit, uncomfortable at being exposed in her ignorance of surgery. "Searlait does this all the time. She say that she sometimes forget fishbowl and only see patient. I don't know."
        The woman tipped her head toward the side of the room, "I watch from there. You not need fumble fingers standing near."

The sliding doors opened with a hiss and small puff of the antibacterial vapor. The surgical bed was rolled in and secured in position under the bright lights. In a moment, the anesthesiologist had the patient hooked up to the monitoring equipment and checked to see that everything was fine.
        "Surgeons," she said with a small bow, "Ruarc is yours. May the Great Mother of All guide your hands."
        You're never too old to do something goofy.
        sigpic
        Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

Carrie mumbled, “Wish I could go hiding in a corner too,” then took a deep breath and followed Searlait towards the centre of the room, doing her best to try and ignore their spectators.
          As the anesthesiologist gave them the go a head, one of the technicians started cleaning and then placed a crisp white cover over Ruarc’s head, leaving only a 4 by 4 inch square of his skin visible.
          With a small grin of appreciation that hopefully reached the eyes, Carrie accepted the help of another tech to pull on a pair of surgical gloves. She stretched her fingers in them, rubbing her thumbs against her index and forefingers to test them. They fit snugly but where a bit thicker than what she was used to. ‘This’ll be interesting…’

Searlait took up the position to the right side of their patient and motioned for the off worlder to place herself opposite her, “Physician Carrie; will you do honors and start the surgery?”
          Carrie let her eyes sweep over the instrument tray next to her, then slowly shook her head, “Thank you, but no thanks. Let’s do this as we planned in the scanner room.”
          Searlait smiled and nodded, “As you wish,” and then started by making a small C-shaped incision in the skin.

They worked slowly and meticulously, talking quietly as they proceeded. Searlait sent a prayer that the microphones would pick up their conversation, making this understandable for the students in the outer room.
          The audience didn’t really bother her, but she’d seen how the other surgeon had tensed at the sight of them and now that she’d seemed to have relaxed and forgotten about them, it would be a bad move to remind her about them by asking her to speak up more than she did.
          She frowned and one of the instructions she got then nodded as the intention got clear and moved on.
          The Tau’ri way was indeed different and no matter how the outcome would be, it would be a most interesting case study for the next month’s board.

45 minutes later Carrie took a deep breath and stepped back from the table, looking at Searlait, “…and that’s it. It’s all up to Mother Nature now…”

NPC Gracious Lady Searlait – Physician, head of surgery.

Comment

Spoiler:

“I don’t have to sit here and listen to this b*****it!” Susan hissed and let her eyes shift between the two women then, all of a sudden, she rushed up from her chair, heading for the door.
            Thoughts running wild in her head as she ran towards the door, doubts starting to trickle their way through her mind. This had to be some sort of elaborate way to try and trick them all to reveal the codes of their IDC’s… ‘Cause what use would she have of it if the Earth wasn’t there anymore? She could just as well give it up? Like h£!! if she was going to tell them anything!

NPC - Lt. Susan Elliot
            [ Military Recruit Base ] { Cal Mykonos } { Administrator Donel } { Base Commandant Brigid }

One of the guards stepped in front of the door, blocking the exit. Maybe this one needs some therapy, too, the woman thought, She’s almost as irrational as her menfolk.
            Cal approached, murmured “Thank you, Squad Leader,” and took the other woman’s place in front of the door.
            Reaching into the pocket of her dress, she pulled out her own GDO. Calmly and deliberately, Cal recited the names of the six symbols that defined Earth’s point in space, the address as it were. Holding up the GDO, she added, “I have my own code and I know the address. If that’s what it takes, I’m sure I can arrange for you to dial Earth’s address yourself.”
            She recited another six symbols, “That’s home now. Gaia, the Alpha site. I’m sorry, Lieutenant, I’m not bull***tting you.”

(( GDO – garage door opener, the nickname for the device that will send the code to open the iris. ))

sigpic

Comment

Suddenly the room started to spin and the knees begun to buckle; the second before her legs gave away completely, someone grabbed hold of her, pushed her down on a chair and then firmly pressed her head between her knees.
              “Keep head down and breath slowly,” It was the voice of the base commandant, the grip on her neck still there, but much easier on the touch now, more like a gentle remainder to keep her head down than someone forcing to break your neck.

Slowly the world begun to come back, the room stopped spinning and the roar in her ears subsided. A minute later Susan nodded and mumbled, "I’m ok now", and slowly straightened up on the chair.
              She wiped away the tears that refused to stop trickle down her cheeks with the palms of her hands as well her sleeves, and looked up at Mykonos, “Do we know who did it?”

NPC - Lt. Susan Elliot

Comment

Cal felt her own eyes start to smart with tears. Giving in to the sudden urge, she put her arm around the younger woman's shoulders and gave her a gentle squeeze. "We're not sure. Goa'uld of course. Zeus possibly."
                She sighed and wiped her own cheeks with the back of the hand that still held the GDO. With one more gentle squeeze, she stepped away from Susan.
                Brigid held out a handful of tissues, "Milady, I can have counselors here in moments to stand by as you tell the others. I wouldn't tell the men-folk until after their treatment." She winced, "They're too unstable right now."

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Carrie mumbled, “Wish I could go hiding in a corner too,” then took a deep breath and followed Searlait towards the centre of the room, doing her best to try and ignore their spectators.
                  As the anesthesiologist gave them the go a head, one of the technicians started cleaning and then placed a crisp white cover over Ruarc’s head, leaving only a 4 by 4 inch square of his skin visible.
                  With a small grin of appreciation that hopefully reached the eyes, Carrie accepted the help of another tech to pull on a pair of surgical gloves. She stretched her fingers in them, rubbing her thumbs against her index and forefingers to test them. They fit snugly but where a bit thicker than what she was used to. ‘This’ll be interesting…’

Searlait took up the position to the right side of their patient and motioned for the off worlder to place herself opposite her, “Physician Carrie; will you do honors and start the surgery?”
                  Carrie let her eyes sweep over the instrument tray next to her, then slowly shook her head, “Thank you, but no thanks. Let’s do this as we planned in the scanner room.”
                  Searlait smiled and nodded, “As you wish,” and then started by making a small C-shaped incision in the skin.

They worked slowly and meticulously, talking quietly as they proceeded. Searlait sent a prayer that the microphones would pick up their conversation, making this understandable for the students in the outer room.
                  The audience didn’t really bother her, but she’d seen how the other surgeon had tensed at the sight of them and now that she’d seemed to have relaxed and forgotten about them, it would be a bad move to remind her about them by asking her to speak up more than she did.
                  She frowned and one of the instructions she got then nodded as the intention got clear and moved on.
                  The Tau’ri way was indeed different and no matter how the outcome would be, it would be a most interesting case study for the next month’s board.

45 minutes later Carrie took a deep breath and stepped back from the table, looking at Searlait, “…and that’s it. It’s all up to Mother Nature now…”

[ Lady Bridgid Infirmary ] {Gracious Lady Cear - First Physician Instructor} {Delwyn - Sr. Attendant} {Student Efa}

All during the procedure Cear had been revising her opinion of the surgical specialty and of the Tau'ri. Even her opinion of Searlait rose a few more notches.
                  Maybeso this won't be such a one-side exchange. The woman began to re-think her assignment of people to go with the Tau'ri. Morgrhen was none too pleased. I think she gets her wish. I'll send two who are open enough to teach and to learn. Maybe exchange people? She chuckled to herself, Male physicians? They probably have them. Too radical for now. Stay with females only."
                  Cear was amazed at the improvement in Ruarc's condition by the end of the procedure. Usually patients, especially for brain surgery, were barely hanging on to life when they left.
                  The observing gallery, which had been mostly silent, broke into applause and excited chatter as Carrie stepped back. Several advanced surgery students pushed their way to the exit hall, hoping to have a word with Searlait and the Tau'ri doctor.
                  Cear took charge of Ruarc, explaining as she guided his bed past Carrie, "Physician Carrie, I see to his care for recovery. You rest, get clean, have drink and eat. I join you soon. Surgeon-Physician Searlait, well done. Very well done. BOTH, very well done."
                  Delwyn and Efa, now both in scrub suits, quietly took over piloting the bed. Efa murmured quietly, "I told you everything would be alright, Ruarc. Now we just have to get you a better House and I have an idea for that, too."
                  You're never too old to do something goofy.
                  sigpic
                  Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

Carrie pulled a deep breath and rolled her shoulders, suddenly aware of the tension in her neck and shoulders as she discarded the gloves. ‘So far, so good.’
                    Fully aware that Ruarc was still under, Carrie still gave his leg a gentle squeeze as the bed as the bed passed her on its way out of the OR, “See you later Ruarc…” before nodding at Cear.
                    “Sounds good. I’ll see you later.” Her internal clock must be closing to midnight since the fatigue that usually made it self know by this time of day, definitely lingered there. The next couple of hours would be tough, but nothing she hadn’t done before. A change of clothes, maybe a shower and something to drink would usually do the trick.
                    Searlait looked up towards the emptying rows of the outside. Their patient had made it this far and was stable. That was definitely more than she’d hoped for when they’d started the surgery. Definitely worth being waken up for.
                    She nodded her agreement towards Cear, grateful to leave the post operative care to someone else, making her free to talk some more with the Tau’ri physician.
                    Putting a hand on Carrie’s elbow, she pointed towards the exit, “Come. Let’s do as Cear says.” The big grin under her face mask was reflected in her eyes, “Lets eat and talk.”

Carrie let Searlait guide her out of the room and in to the rustle and bustle of the corridor where they stopped just outside the door.
                    Searlait held up a hand in the air and the noise died within a few seconds.
                    “Surgical trainees! I know you have questions and we’ll have a discussion in class tomorrow afternoon.” She gave Carrie a hint of a smile before she continued addressing the students. “As a preparation for that I’d a summary from each and every one of you of at least 2000 words on my desk in the morning. Class dismissed.”

The groan of the students 20 closest students were almost in unison, but Searlait quickly turned towards Carrie and nodded towards the other side of the corridor, grinning mischievously, “I give them a bit of home work. Will make my small class occupied until morning. Come!”

Carrie couldn’t help feeling sorry for the students, even though she hadn't understood the words; their meaning had been very clear to her and after all, she was grateful to be able to get away from the crowds; she’d never liked being the centre of attention.
                    They stepped in to what was probably the surgical staff lounge. Some, although battered, but still comfortable looking couches and arm chairs were grouped in one corner around a low table. In the other end a few chairs and a dining table.
                    Cear made a motion with her chin towards a door in the back of the room, “Changing room for guest physicians. I will be back shortly with something to eat and drink. Ok?”
                    Carrie nodded, “That would be lovely. Thank you!”
                    With a content smile on her face the older woman left the room, leaving Carrie all by herself.
                    When she was alone, she stretched and yawned, rubbing her face as she walked towards the door, “This is going to be a looong night…”

Approximately 20 minutes later Carrie stepped back in to the lounge, newly showered and having changed back in to the Iberian dress she’d worn before.
                    Searlait was already back, having changed as well and with the assistance of a male, she was setting the table. When she noticed Carrie, she suddenly blushed and gave her an embarrassed smile as she crossed the room, “I… I thought I’d help him a little… Make things faster…” She then grinned as she remembered what she’d heard about the Tau’ri culture, no matter how strange it had sounded, “Never mind. Come. Let’s eat and talk.”

A few minutes later the two surgeons were totally engulfed in the technical aspects of the procedure they’d just performed all while digging in to the sandwiches and local muches on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen Blue View Post

Spoiler:
                      Cal felt her own eyes start to smart with tears. Giving in to the sudden urge, she put her arm around the younger woman's shoulders and gave her a gentle squeeze. "We're not sure. Goa'uld of course. Zeus possibly."
                      She sighed and wiped her own cheeks with the back of the hand that still held the GDO. With one more gentle squeeze, she stepped away from Susan.
                      Brigid held out a handful of tissues, "Milady, I can have counselors here in moments to stand by as you tell the others. I wouldn't tell the men-folk until after their treatment." She winced, "They're too unstable right now."

Susan gave the commandant an appreciative nod, then blew her nose and looked up at her, “Yeah, I think it might be a good idea to wait… and having the counselors standing by at all times for the near future. It makes sense you know. It explains why the men of our group were getting more and more short tempered, like they were on the edge all of the time. Always on high alert…” She slipped a sigh and shook her head, “I just wished we’d known it from the start.”

Taking another deep breath, she rubbed her face and looked back at Mykonos, all business, “So where does this leave us now? What do you want me to do Captain?”

NPC - Lt. Susan Elliot

((OOC: Can't seem to find spoilertags ))
                      Last edited by Northern Girl; 25 August 2011, 03:07 AM. Reason: Thanks Jyn! :)

Comment

Working...
                      X