This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSG or Stargate?

if this thread has already been done before i apologize. but i was thinking, with sg1 and sga getting more and more negative feedback from posters (from what ive seen at least), and BSG becoming more and more popular (especially with that excellent, though rather dark, midseason finale), i was wondering if you guys like stargate or battlestar more now? i mean i know that the early seasons of sg were excellent, but what i mean is right now which is the better, seasons 9 and 2 of sg1 and sga, or BSG?

*EDIT* - Ok everyone keeps saying that you cant compare the two shows. I agree the two shows have many differences almost even different genres. But we're not comparing apples and oranges, we're asking what you like better. Most people still like apples or oranges better (or some other fruit), even if they are two entirely different things. Just because things are different doesnt mean you cant have a preference. Which show gets your blood pumping? Which one do you sit on the edge of your seat for while the other you fall asleep during? If you only had one hour of blank tape left, which would you record? Thats what I'm asking, I'm not asking for a comparison because I agree that they are too different to compare, I'm just asking what you like better, the newer eps of SG or BSG

PS - maybe a mod could make this into a poll, with the choices being SG1 season 9, SGA season 2, or BSG season 2
    SG-1 S9
    19.56%
    SG-A S2
    18.67%
    BSG S2
    61.78%
    Last edited by walterIsTheMan; 28 September 2005, 03:13 PM.

BSG hands down. starting back with the first season BSG has been the far superior series in every aspect. SG-1 and SGA are just sad shadows next to BSG.

Comment

Personally, I've never understood the obsession some have with creating either/or scenarios for EVERYTHING.

EITHER you like Jack OR Mitchell.

EITHER you like the old BSG OR the new one.

EITHER you like Stargate OR BSG.

EITHER you like vanilla OR chocolate.

It's entirely possible to like BOTH without having to turn it into an popularity contest.

BSG and Stargate are vastly, vastly different in terms of style, storylines, and character development. It's like comparing bananas to lemons. The size, the shape, the flavor... everything is different. But they're still fruit. Some might be allergic to lemons, others might not like the texture of bananas, and some may know a killer drink recipe involving both.

I can appreciate BOTH shows for what they are, based on their own merits.
      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 27 September 2005, 07:42 PM.

Comment

As painful as it is to admit, I was struggling to get through the SGAs last week, anxious for Pegasus. Stargate will always have a place in my heart, but BSG is turning out to be my fave.

Comment

Stargate all the way baby
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Personally, I've never understood the petty need some have to create either/or scenarios for EVERYTHING.

EITHER you like Jack OR Mitchell.

EITHER you like the old BSG OR the new one.

EITHER you like Stargate OR BSG.

EITHER you like vanilla OR chocolate.

Give me a friggen break. It's entirely possible to like BOTH without having to turn it into an asinine popularity contest.

BSG and Stargate are vastly, vastly different in terms of style, storylines, and character development. It's like comparing bananas to lemons. The size, the shape, the flavor... everything is different. But they're still fruit. Some might be allergic to lemons, others might not like the texture of bananas, and some may know a killer drink recipe involving both.

I can appreciate BOTH shows for what they are, based on their own merits.
            firstly, calling peoples threads petty is innapropriate and definitely OFF TOPIC. if you have something positive to contribute, then do so, otherwise dont post. second, just because two things are different does not mean people cannot have a preference. to use your example, while bananas and lemons are different, people can still like one more than the other. or another example, lets say a guy loves his wife. other girls are not the same as his wife. so according to your argument, he cant love her more than other girls because since the girls are different than his wife they cant be compared. im not disputing that SG and BSG are different, but people can still have a preference, and if you like both equally theres nothing wrong with saying that but do it without criticizing peoples threads

Comment

It's not an either or issue for me... I agree that comparing the two shows is like comparing apples and oranges. I like SG for it's sly sense of humour which is almost entirely lacking in BSG... I like BSG for it hardhitting storylines and sense of realism. But if all the shows on telly were like BSG, I'd hit the Valium sooner or later. Whether it can maintain that momentum without degenerating into a soapdish, remains to be seen.

I've never considered SG to be a serious scifi show anyway but it is child's play compared to BSG. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.
              Last edited by Easter Lily; 27 September 2005, 08:55 PM.
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

My word choice was poor, Walter, and I apologize for that. However, I still dislike threads whose sole purpose is to stir up enmity and bad feeling as these either/or threads invariably do.

Folks will bash one show in favor of another, the fans of the bashed show will bash back because THEIR show is OBVIOUSLY superior. Then the name-calling starts as one group is nothing but a bunch of sicko freaks who wouldn't know good scifi if it came up and kicked them in the ass. But, of course, that's nothing compared to the toilet-licking morons who swallow swill and call it gourmet. And on and on until the mods have to step in to remind them what the thread is supposed to be about. And then things get personal.

Sure, you say it's just an innocent question, and maybe it is, but some of the nastiest flame wars around here started out with the best of intentions. And fandom right now is already a tinderbox of ill will, with some uneasy stirrings between the Stargate and BSG camps.

I find BSG to be more emotionally gripping and more tightly woven with a better sense of arc, but I appreciate the comparative lightness of Atlantis, which also has its share of dark moments but is generally a lot more relaxed and with a much better sense of humor. It's more of a nachos & popcorn fare compared to the three-course dining experience of BSG, but then, sometimes all I want are nachos and popcorn.

So, as I said, I like BOTH shows.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                  BSG hands down. starting back with the first season BSG has been the far superior series in every aspect. SG-1 and SGA are just sad shadows next to BSG.
                  I am a big Stargate fan and I have to agree. SG1's gloy days are long over and SGA needs some major impovement. I have only been watching Scifi Friday for BSG resently but I've been watching SG1 and SGA too, hoping in vein they will get better.
                  I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    Sure, you say it's just an innocent question, and maybe it is, but some of the nastiest flame wars around here started out with the best of intentions. And fandom right now is already a tinderbox of ill will, with some uneasy stirrings between the Stargate and BSG camps.
                    i agree, but to quote SC, "we cant bury our heads in the sand". almost every thread in gateworld is going to cause some kind of disagreement, but we cant just give up

Comment

Can I have both BSG and Stargate? I'd like to eat my cake and have it too...

SGA, SG-1, and BSG all have their own characteristics and aspects which makes them great shows...some of each shows' attributes are better or worse than the other shows...

Comment

all of the above! i cannot chose between three great shows that i love and watch on fridays
                        sigpic

Comment

Stargate for me.

The only problem i have with BSG is that i never saw the original series, and i never saw the mini-series that Sci-fi did a year or so ago. So diving into the BSG series now is a little confusing for me. while i don't hate BSG, i find myself watching it with far less interest than Stargate.

Comment

gotta think about something more substantial to say for this than what I'm putting into this post.

BUT in the meantime, I agree with ShadowMaat and Easter Lily that "Stargate" (as a whole series entity) and "BSG" should stand on their *OWN* merits and stop being compared against each other for which is better. Both have their own great moments and faults... although I find less to gripe about in SG than in BSG.

I think the comparisons between the two program types (BSG vs. SG) on various web forums has become a political arena in the format of Senator Kinsey (SG-1) personalities trying to squash Stargate in its entirety. It's simply grown as annoying as Kinsey to hear the nonsense griping... and just makes me wonder who's behind most of the internet wars... the "why" isn't even in question - since that seems pretty obvious.

...it also makes me appreciate the *one* forum where BSG is discussed where I can truly enjoy talking about it without getting landed on for liking Stargate as well in the process. (and no, I'm not telling where that *special* place is, lest it get invaded by the same hostility I see nearly everywhere else)

Comment

Personally, I take them all

I have always been a fan of Stargate since the movie back in 1994. However I have always been a sci-fi fan since I was a kid, mostly from watching Star Trek TNG as it's last season aired and soon after the reruns. From there it led me to DS9, Voyager, Star Wars, and subsequently because of Sci-Fi I got into the reruns of Battlestar Galactica. I never got into some series because of just how they were done, such as (/put on armor) Farscape and Babylon 5. I just didn't 'get' those shows, and how they were done didn't make me interested.

What really draws me into Stargate is my love for the characters and the slight realism we get of the situation. How they tie stories and characters to Earth's past always got me into the show. What draws me to the new Battlestar Galactica is the show's ability to draw you in and make you think these are real people, on a real ship, running from a real enemy, and facing real emotions. No other show imho does that, every other show is inventing some new technology every other episode; Galactica is barely surviving on what they have and from episode to episode. They don't have fancy sensors and transporters or some instant cure to their problems; and that's what I like about it. There's my 2 cen...err.. very large paragraphs

Conclusion: Every friday has my eyes glued to Sci-Fi to watch all three shows; and it probably won't change.

Comment

Working...
                              X