This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced Transport: Yikes!

Ever thought about how it would be to go through the gate, or to be beamed to an Asgard ship? Well, if my thinking is correct (please tell if not) at least with some technology, you don’t really come out as really you, just a copy of you. When you get beamed up and rematerialized from the data stored in the computer, the machine takes other matter to “re-make” you.
    Spoiler:
    McKay and Cadman were beamed up into the dart and stored in the computer as life sign signatures. McKay and Cadman were later both beamed out back in Atlantis (McKay was beamed out before, but you know the story…)
    Teal’c in “48 Hours” had his “data” stored at the molecular (or atomic, I forget) level in the makeup of the data crystal that was used to store information in the DHD’s computer, and then later rematerialized.

In conclusion, if I’m right, advanced transport ,in general, is like a quick painless death, the only difference is that your copy comes out of some machine. But anyway, that’s the pessimist’s way of looking at things, if I got the chance to go through something like a stargate I’d jump right in. Would you given the consequences? Everything is copied when we come out the other side, including the neurons that store our memory, so “we” just go on like nothing ever happened. So what do you think about that?
    Last edited by !Dorentus!; 26 September 2005, 07:43 PM.
    Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
    2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
    3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

I suppose if you think about it anyways, our bodies go through a rebuilding process that makes us almost, if not all, new material in a certain amount of time. I used to know what the “regeneration period” was but I forgot, maybe someone else knows.

1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

actually, the matter is broken down to the atomic level so it can travel safely through the worm-hole. So you don't really die. Its more like being put in a giant blender, sucked through a tube at lightning fast speeds, then being poured into a mould.

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver
        actually, the matter is broken down to the atomic level so it can travel safely through the worm-hole. So you don't really die. Its more like being put in a giant blender, sucked through a tube at lightning fast speeds, then being poured into a mould.
        Ahh! Cool. How about using transport rings or an Asgard/Wraith beam for travel? Would that have the "dying" effect?
        Also wouldn't the Asgard's method of immortality basically do the same thing? Since basically they take the information out of their brains, put it into a computer, make a whole, new "blank" clone, and then download the information of their former life back into the next body. That means no matter of your former self lives. Freaky concept, don't you think?
        However, I think I would prefer it over death.
        1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

I think you could go on and on about this subject. For example, would you then not want to ascend? Because if you think about it, your body doesn't just get changed into different matter, but rather no matter at all, just energy. It's just a matter of coming to terms with yourself. Whether this change into another state is better or not.
          In mourning I now will be.
          No more Stargate can I see.
          Sci-Fi Friday jubilation
          Has descended to Saturday syndication.
          (that is to say I don't have cable anymore.)

Comment

Working...
          X