This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Doctor Who or New Doctor Who-which do you like more

I hope no one has started a thread on this yet. but here's my question: Which Doctor Who do you like more, The Old Series or the New Series?

I personally like the New series.
    sigpic

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
    I hope no one has started a thread on this yet. but here's my question: Which Doctor Who do you like more, The Old Series or the New Series?

I like both because without the old you wouldn't have the new(and people wouldn't love it as much as they do if it wasn't for the old series) and I love the freshness of the new. It's all part of the same journey though and series two will have some more old faves and references to the old series! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos

Well I think it is an unfair question. How can you compare classic to new? Add to that the one Actor so far and 13 episodes, well 'apples and oranges' comes to mind.

If I must play I would say the old. Too many great episodes and memories for me to see it any other way.

Comment

I can't really say because I can't see the new one yet (curses!). But from the little information I get, I probably would still like the old one best. Just because I grew up with it.
        "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

I dont really take it as a new series just a prolonged break between the classic series therefore this series is part of the classic series altogether in the grand scheme of things. I therefore prefer the old series as it is the new series and old together.
          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

It depends on how old you are I guess, I watched from Tom Baker onwards and each series has it's points, the old series was a little naff in parts (Rubber Monsters, Dorset Gravel Pits and wobbly sets) but that was part of it's charm and the new series has been updated and revamped for a new generation of Who fans and the older fans can argue in the pub for hours over both old and new

Comment

I got introduced to both the old and the new series around the same time. My first few episodes were of the new series, but before I'd gotten halfway through the new series, I'd already watched some Fifth Doctor serials and a couple of episodes with Colin Baker, Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton. So there's not really a Doctor whom I consider 'my' Doctor, nor do I have a preference for the old or new series. I don't even consider the new series 'new' (after all, for me everything DW is new), but instead just another set of episodes that joins the long long list of Doctor Who serials.

Comment

How does one make a proper comparison? In a sense all the doctors are new except William Hartnell...

I must say though, the sfx of the Ecclestone series has been quite something else and in that sense it has superceded its predecessors. But other than that each incarnation/era excels in a different way.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

New series forllowed by the second doctor are my faves.
                  heh, and i never got into Tom Baker's series.

Comment

New series all the way. I didn't even like the Doctor before the new series, now I'll even enjoy some of the older eps from time to time. Eccleston ROCKS and Billie Piper is FIT!
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Iv not seen old series, only the odd clip here and there. Though from what iv seen the new one is much better.

Comment

The main change has been the budget. I mean back in sixties it was something ridiculous like £250 an episode. But now weve got the money and the tech to make the show great and more spectacular than ever.
                        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I like them both, but if I could only watch one it would be the classic series.
                          sigpic
                          Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

I grew up in a time when special effects were just getting started and because we already had colour for about 30 years since then it was really hard to watch the classic series.

These days I can look past that and really enjoy some good stories and great acting. I know some people who can't bare watching the Pertwee years with me, or they just make fun how the women are in the show. Little do people realise I don't take insulting Jo Grant in front of me lightly.

The new series was easier to watch and I really get into the story arch. I'm a bit of a RTD fan girl because of his very emotional story lines. I liked Stephen Moffat at the beginning because of his twists but it's getting all so repetitive; monster one week, robot the next, monster the week after, etc. And I just get there will be a twist in the end. And what's with the cheesy happy endings?

It bothers me because when people hear I like Doctor Who they think I like this one. I do get into the episodes but I dunno...maybe I just miss Tennant...and Col Baker and Jon Pertwee. Matt Smith is a good Doctor but not the Doctor I want. He was before but now he's just too goofy. They're aiming the show more at kids too. Kids always did watch it but it wasn't always marketed towards them, taking out adult themes and such.

They're getting kind of Will and Grace with the whole celebrity appearances too.

So, between the Pertwee years up to no.6. I haven't seen much of the second Doctor yet. And I really really love the 9th and 10th Doctors.
                            My post for Gate World: An Autistic's take on Sci-Fi

Comment

Last edited by Morgania; 03 January 2012, 09:40 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                              X