X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Broken Promise of Atlantis

622 "Full Circle"

DANIEL: I’ll be back. Don’t lose that tablet; it talks about a lost city that’s more valuable than anything.

DANIEL: I’ll make sure he keeps it. The Goa’uld are going to fight it out over the Eye and hopefully destroy each other in the process but even if they don’t, while they’re licking their wounds, you’re gonna find the lost city of the Ancients.

O’NEILL: The lost city?

DANIEL: Didn’t tell him about that either, huh?

CARTER: Daniel found a tablet talking about a lost city.

DANIEL: Where there are powerful Ancient weapons capable of giving you a big advantage over Anubis.

721 "Lost City"

Daniel: Why wouldn't we wanna gain access to the greatest repository of knowledge in the known universe. Once and for all finding the Lost City of the Ancients, and use their advanced technology to save the entire galaxy from the evil oppression of the Goa'uld?

Okay we have the promise of Atlantis. What has been the reality?

Weapons?

We already had drones, and all of the directed engery weapons that we have found have been destroyed, apparantly without the ability to construct more.

Shields?

We already had effective ship shields, and it doesn't seem that the knowledge of atlantis has been helpful in creating better ship shields. The city shield is new, but not necessarily helpful, and it does not seem that the technology is transferable to other sites. Internal shields have been useful on Atlantis to maintain confinement cells. However this has not been used in any other context. (Actually I imagine that a recently seen shield within the SGC that was described as a tok'ra shield is actually a shield from or using knowledge from Atlantis.)

Transporters?

The transporter technology found in atlantis has not been used in other places. Earth still uses Goa'uld ring transporters or Asgard transporters.

Medicine?

Atlantis has life sign detectors and advanced medical scanning equipment. This has not been deployed beyond atlantis. The only known use for a life signs detector outside of Pegasus has been on board the Daedalus. We have not seen the use of medical knowledge or treatments gained from Atlantis either in Pegasus or MW.

General Knowledge?

We have not seen any knowledge but historical knowledge gained or used.

Ships?

We already had access to ships capable of travleing through stargates, and ships capable of cloaking. The Puddlejumpers have not be used in MW. The Remote DHD technology has not been used apart from puddle jumper activities or otherwise implemented in a different device. We have not acquired better hyperdrives, shields, sensors, or weapons.

Apparantly Nothing has been gained. No new Ancient technology that does not have an analogue to that which was already possessed. The mission to Atlantis has not in anyway helped people in MW. No new scientific knowledge has been gained. Access to Ancient manufacturing or production techniques and facilities has not been discovered.

Why is this? If the Sodan can use an Ancient teleporter, and construct invisibility devices simply be reading the inscriptions on a few rocks. Why can the atlantis team with access to an apparantly functioning Ancient city, with an apparantly functioning and voluminous computer record of the Ancient knowledge and records, in the city that was apparntly the base from which the Ancients established themselves within Pegasus; why have they not acquired non-trivial technologies and knowledge?

Very good questions and points. I tend to agree.
    Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

asking me the same...

Comment

Agreed on every point, when you reflect on it, atlantis has been a let down in that respect.
        Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
        Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
        Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
        Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
        Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary83uk
          Agreed on every point, when you reflect on it, atlantis has been a let down in that respect.
          Atlantis IS the greatest repository of knowledge in the known universe, we all agree on that, but the Tau'i have to work for it and to understand it

Just because they have access to the technology doesn't mean they instantly understand it, the database contains all their knowledge but it needs to be translated and studied before its any use. The city of Atlantis as presented in SG-1, was something that would instantly solve all their problems for them. If everything was as easy as that then SG:A wouldn't be a very good show - "we have a problem lets just look for the answer in the database, no need to work for it"

Atlantis will fufill its promise in time, but nothing comes that easily
          sigpic

Comment

^^^
            I'm hoping for more stuff discovered on Atlantis, SOON. So far, aside from some Ancient tech (puddlejumper, DNA tech, viral lab), there hasn't been much.

I'd like to see:

1) Hand weapons---Ancient 'phasers' with stun and vaporize settings
            2) Stargate manufacturing tech
            3) Drone manufacturing tech
            4) Puddlejumper manufacturing tech
            5) Atlantis' hyperdrive
            6) Nanotechnology devices
            7) More personal shields

In a way, the writers gave themselves an out by making the Ancient outpost sufficient enough to defeat the Goa'uld in the Milky Way. But for an outpost < city, so far Atlantis has come up short (ran out of drones). It seems that for the 'greatest repository of knowledge' and a 'weapons treasure' Atlantis has been depleted somewhat by battle with the Wraith. Here's hoping that most of the Ancients' losses were actually other outposts in the Pegasus Galaxy, and other ships brought to Pegasus. I hope that since the Ancients sunk Atlantis hoping for one day to return, that Atlantis still has hundreds of secrets waiting to be found.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
              Atlantis IS the greatest repository of knowledge in the known universe, we all agree on that, but the Tau'i have to work for it and to understand it
              I have seen no evidence that atlantis holds knowledge that is greater than that which has been downloaded into o'neill's brain from the repository devices.
              Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
              Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
              Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
              Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
              Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

All in all, it's a huge plot hole.

With two shows, the writers have twice the opportunity to create those, and they are taking advantage of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperspace
                  ^^^
                  I'm hoping for more stuff discovered on Atlantis, SOON. So far, aside from some Ancient tech (puddlejumper, DNA tech, viral lab), there hasn't been much.

I'd like to see:

1) Hand weapons---Ancient 'phasers' with stun and vaporize settings
                  2) Stargate manufacturing tech
                  3) Drone manufacturing tech
                  4) Puddlejumper manufacturing tech
                  5) Atlantis' hyperdrive
                  6) Nanotechnology devices
                  7) More personal shields

In a way, the writers gave themselves an out by making the Ancient outpost sufficient enough to defeat the Goa'uld in the Milky Way. But for an outpost < city, so far Atlantis has come up short (ran out of drones). It seems that for the 'greatest repository of knowledge' and a 'weapons treasure' Atlantis has been depleted somewhat by battle with the Wraith. Here's hoping that most of the Ancients' losses were actually other outposts in the Pegasus Galaxy, and other ships brought to Pegasus. I hope that since the Ancients sunk Atlantis hoping for one day to return, that Atlantis still has hundreds of secrets waiting to be found.
                  There would be no show if Atlantis gave up all its tech and secrets in season 2, what are they going to fill the other 4 planned seasons with. So I'm happy to wait for the more advanced stuff as long as TPTB show progress in the show about unlocking the secrets, ie the expedition actually learn about stuff over time instead of random jumps forward just in time to save the day.

On the subject of the Ancient head grabbers - Atlantis probably doesn't hold much more information than in those repositories but its in a handy format that doesn't melt your brain
                  sigpic

Comment

i think today has been the day atlantis has failed, every episode up to aurora has been good and worth it, now people are just finding ways to say 'whats the point' and i totally agree, for me today is the day atlantis fell.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                      i think today has been the day atlantis has failed, every episode up to aurora has been good and worth it, now people are just finding ways to say 'whats the point' and i totally agree, for me today is the day atlantis fell.
                      immhotep [snipped by mods for breaking no personal negative remarks rule] i personally think it was a good episode but i understand that u say it failed but cmon it was good i mean it beats instinct
                      Last edited by GateGipsy; 20 October 2005, 02:04 AM.
                      sooner or later the day comes when you cant hide from the things that youv'e done anymore-BSG adama

Comment

I think you are all letting down atlantis its early days. For all we know we may find a magic room with schematics and things for weapons and ships etc.
                        Time will tell what will happen I think we should just sit down relax and enjoy the ride of a lifetime.
                        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                          I think you are all letting down atlantis its early days. For all we know we may find a magic room with schematics and things for weapons and ships etc.
                          Time will tell what will happen I think we should just sit down relax and enjoy the ride of a lifetime.
                          I totally agree its still early days yet

And Vandred people are entitled to their own opinions, if immothep doesn't like any episode feel free to disagree with him (I do) but you'll never convince him if you insult him
                          sigpic

Comment

spoilers and anger beware!

i just loved atlantis until they didnt give me a show befitting of an ancient ship, theyve spent 11 years hyping up the ancients and then give us a rusty old husk of ship half blown to bits with a wraith first officer and mindless useless captain!
                            that ship is not befitting of the ancients,
                            in fact since SGA started, the greatest race ever to inhabit to stars has turned in to
                            ' those guys who abandoned pegasus because they couldnt fight in order to get rid of cool superpowers in exchange for ultimate power and wisdom, to sitt on their cosmic butt doing nothing while the universe is destroyed'
                            i hate TPTB theyve completely destroyed my view of stargate, in one day, its gone! that how much aurora dissapointed me. if you spend that much time getting something to do something, let it!

and self destruct episodes are pathetic, also the deady could of destroyed the cruisers anyway!

disagree with me, but if your like me and yourve waited along time ( since fifth race) to see an ancient ship, and you get a rusky old ship full of dead people which blows up to defeat two meaning less ships, when the deady could of simply towed the auroa to atlantis for study there, waste of soo much im insulted by it!
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                              Early compared too...???

Real life? To how long archaeologists, computer scientists, linguists, etc. in the real world work? Yep.

Compared to the Stargate Universe? In ten years they have naquadha and naquaddria reactors, intergalactic space ships, etc.? No, it's not early.

Originally posted by vandred
                              immhotep [snipped by mods] i personally think it was a good episode but i understand that u say it failed but cmon it was good i mean it beats instinct
                              Whoa! Rude, crude, and in text-speak no less! Chill out!
                              Last edited by GateGipsy; 20 October 2005, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X