Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supernatural : General Discussion/Appreciation (Spoiler Tags req for S15)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, they spoil too much in the media. I'm still not trough with Breaking Bad and in a trailer for the last season, which came on TV, they said in a few words what happened in the end of the last but one season which I had not seen by then. Can be a bit annoying .
    The very young do not always do as they are told.

sigpic

Comment

Hmm... It appears as if they must have been under budget and added an extra episode to 8? Almost there, and your right, Series 8 is a breath of fresh air. I was glad to see Bobby again, briefly anyway, and just recently watched Cass get a tablet torn from his belly. Good times, SPN style!

I do have a question and I don't think answering it will spoil much for me. I really like, for the lack of a better word, the Bat Cave. Do they keep it, or rather does it stay in the show going forward? The whole Men of Letters discovery is very interesting. So far, the show seems to leave very little out of mix going forward, so I'm anxious to see if they learn more about what could have been. (but don't tell me!)

Anyway, series 7 bogged me down. Really the middle of 8, while it had some good episodes, I found myself struggling to push the play button. Now, I'm lamenting the end of the weekend and the start of a work week because I don't know if I'll have time to polish off 8. Just wanted to touch base before work gets in the way of play. Till next time....

Comment

Yes, the "bat cave" or Bunker stays around
        sigpic

Comment

Hehe, at first I was a bit sceptical about the bunker but now I like it, too. They should keep it . I also agree that apart from the bunker and some other things much went back to good old Supernatural style since season 8. Very cool.

@Mouse: You don't have to be so fast. Enjoy it while it lasts . I'm currently catching up on Psych. I started a few months ago and are now in the middle of season 5. It's great to have a funny ep here and there. So it's a bit sad that only two seasons are left until I'm through with the DVDs until further seasons come out. Whereas I have enough to watch, anyway . I have all Magnum, P.I. seasons here after having watched it on TV every once in a while. There, I stopped in the middle of season 1 when I started with Psych.
          Btw: In the last but one Supernatural ep there was Sage Brocklebank and I've seen in the trailer that Timothy Omundson will be in the next ep. Very funny since they are both from Psych .
          Oh, and Zachariah from Supernatural is a pathologist in Psych since two seasons or so. In Psych he is a rather funny guy, totally different than Zachariah .

sigpic

Comment

I'm one of those, all or nothing type of guys, I guess. I have stopped at 903 as I have another all day airplane ride that feels like a perfect opportunity to burn through the rest. I actually have another show or two up my sleeve that I've been collecting for a while. So, when I feel the need for another video binge, I'll still have something in reserve.

My favorite stuff is mostly serialized genre content. Normally, I do the same thing with authors and their books, read them till empty. There's advantages and disadvantages to that approach, but so far I've got no complaints. I'll report back on the other side of the pond. Should be caught up by then!

Comment

The problem with authors and their books is that it's pretty often SSDD after a while. So I often read more books of an author when I like one but never do I read all of them. Except when it's a series like the Dark Tower books by Stephen King (although I don't think that I'm going to read the eighth one) or the Watchmen books by Terry Pratchett.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M@ster R View Post
                The problem with authors and their books is that it's pretty often SSDD after a while. So I often read more books of an author when I like one but never do I read all of them. Except when it's a series like the Dark Tower books by Stephen King (although I don't think that I'm going to read the eighth one) or the Watchmen books by Terry Pratchett.
                Just saw your post and thought I'd reply before I go to the land of the $12.95 (usd) inflight internet connection. It's quite the ripoff and even tho it's easily hacked, it's not worth the effort!

Not SPN, but on the subject of SK, I think he lost something after his accident. His work has not been the same. Don't get me wrong, once he started back writing, he can surely still pound them out. The thing is, they just don't have the same edge. I did like his time travel lark in 11/22/63. But recently, I found one that I was very excited to read and found myself unable to get past 62% (kindle terms, sorry). Despite several attempts, I'd put it down, read something else, then try again, I just couldn't finish it. For me, that's something as I can plow through just about anything! In case you aren't familiar, it's the sequel to the Shining. That one should have been a whopper for him and I'm sure that sales wise, it was. But it was so slow and just downright boring that it wasn't worth the effort. If I think about it, Under the Dome was much the same way for me, it was just boring. But, when they released the tv series in the US, I managed to finish it and more or less enjoyed it. For the most part, the reader can see a huge change in his style pre and post accident. Just my opinion of course. I do believe that Roland's adventures in Kingland will forever be remembered as King at his best. In fact, long ago King said in an interview that if you want to honor a writer, buy his books in hardback. So, I did and as much as it pains me these days, I still buy his, in regular hard bound format. (even Doctor Sleep, which I haven't yet unpacked and placed on my King shelves)

I think I've also read everything Pratchett has written, including short stories and his two published collections, but unless my memory is to clogged to remember, (entirely possible) you must mean someone else with the Watchmen? Pratchett is best known for his 40+ novel Discworld series, which might be what your thinking. Watchmen, I think, and I'm not really sure, is a graphic novel from which a movie was made. But I'm not really sure and haven't read it that I can recall.

Anyway, I'm probably breaking protocol by being off topic here. Please excuse me to anyone objecting to my disregard of the bandwidth used with this post. Unfortunately, I like books and I have a hard time shutting myself up when i start to write about them... See you on the other side.

Comment

Well, I haven't read that much from King. I think "It" and the "Dark Tower" books. Not sure, maybe one, two other ones. Many people say that King was best when taking drugs but I don't know, have not read enough from him to say that.
                  Whereas I don't like everything about the Dark Tower books. Most of all, I didn't like King to write himself into the story. And then describing himself as someone who looked like Roland while he had Clint Eastwood from "The Good The Bad And The Ugly" in mind when describing Roland. And King looks / looked nothing like young Clint Eastwood.
                  For the eighth book of the series - I discovered it in the bookshop and was surprised since the seventh book was kind of an ending. Then I read the abstract of the eighth one and a bit in the book and it said that the book was not a sequel but played in the middle of the whole story (I think between 4 and 5). Sounds like rip-off to me. Making a bit more money with the series by writing something no one needs. So I decided not to buy it.

I think I've also read everything Pratchett has written, including short stories and his two published collections, but unless my memory is to clogged to remember, (entirely possible) you must mean someone else with the Watchmen? Pratchett is best known for his 40+ novel Discworld series, which might be what your thinking. Watchmen, I think, and I'm not really sure, is a graphic novel from which a movie was made. But I'm not really sure and haven't read it that I can recall.
                  I was referring to Sam Vimes and the gang from Disc World . Originally Nightwatch but after a while they also became Daywatch, so I just say Watchmen, hehe. I really like those books. Good character writing and nice atmosphere. I also read two books about Death (Mort and Thief of Time) but I did not like them that much. They were ok, but not hilarious. And I know the wizards from the books I've read. They are funny but I don't think that I need whole books about them. So I stayed with the Watch .

EDIT: To say at least something SN related: The last ep was awesome again . Didn't expect Omundson to have such a big and cool role. Would be good if he had more than just one further appearance.
                  Last edited by M@ster R; 22 January 2014, 07:54 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Well, all caught up. Overall, I'd have to call the 8.5 series in a little over a month to be mostly satisfying viewing. I do feel like they are starting to repeat the brotherly conflicts a little more than necessary. If I had one impression to vocalize it's that the supporting cast is what makes this show fun to watch, for me. Pretty much everybody involved, except Sam and Dean. Just my opinion.

Can't believe their going to be introducing a spin-off in episode 20. Chicago, huh? Monsters? Guess we'll have to see. Way past my bedtime, but i wanted to announce my current status. Pretty easily amused, I guess...

Comment

Haven't heard about the spin off, before. Hm, it's okay with me as far as they don't think about quitting. Maybe part of the team wants to quit after season 10 and part wants to stay, and so they are testing a spin off. Wouldn't like that, SN is irreplaceable.
                      Is there more info about what is going on in the spin off? Can't find much info by quick googling.

I do feel like they are starting to repeat the brotherly conflicts a little more than necessary. If I had one impression to vocalize it's that the supporting cast is what makes this show fun to watch, for me. Pretty much everybody involved, except Sam and Dean. Just my opinion.
                      Hm, I like Dean and Sam very much but I also think we had enough brotherly conflicts. Get's lame after a while. Must be extremely lame after watching the whole series in such a short time, hehe.

Oh, one thing regarding the Dark Tower books: Forgot to mention that I didn't like the one about Roland's childhood. King could have left that one out.

sigpic

Comment

Haven't heard about the spin off, before. Hm, it's okay with me as far as they don't think about quitting. Maybe part of the team wants to quit after season 10 and part wants to stay, and so they are testing a spin off. Wouldn't like that, SN is irreplaceable.
                        Is there more info about what is going on in the spin off? Can't find much info by quick googling.
                        what I remember from when the news first came out is that whatever happens in that episode will be the beginning of the spin off and it will star those people, not Sam and Dean. They might pop in or something, but it will not star Sam or Dean or center around them at all. It will be about other hunters and their story.
                        sigpic

Comment

Rather pressed for time this afternoon, but the spin-off was mentioned in Tuesday's edition of Morning Spoilers on Io9. Here's what they said, (guess it was originally reported at TV Line)

"He also said that the wear and tear on Sam following Gadreel's time in his body is more "emotional" than anything else. Finally, mark your calendars: episode 20 will launch the spinoff featuring Chicago hunters and monster cultures. [TV Line]"

I imagine more info could be found with a search at either site....

Comment

Thanks, I only found what Copterdoc said and that Jared said that he doesn't think the spin off would be bad for SN's quotes. But then I thought about the possibility of a near ending of Supernatural. But maybe that's not it. Jared said they made the spin off because fans wanted more from the SN universe for quite some time.

Well, they should take good actors like they often did in SN. And not some kid hunters or stuff ... But that wouldn't be much of problem since my main interest lies in SN. If I don't like the spin off, I don't watch it.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I only found what Copterdoc said and that Jared said that he doesn't think the spin off would be bad for SN's quotes.
                              Not sure what context you mean for, "quotes"? Do you mean numbers, as in ratings, or am I missing the point completely? I'm by no means an expert on this show as I have missed 8+ years of discussions, reviews, and speculation, so I really don't have a clue as to what they're shooting for with this spin-off. I imagine that somehow the boys will somehow hook-up with these yet unknown characters and spend ep# 920 fighting the good fight with them. Then, probably next fall this new person or person's will allow us to dig into this new realm of monsters. I guess that's one area that they haven't explored so far. Might be fun. Hopefully they will pick some compelling stars that fans can hang their hats on. Personally, I hope it's an evolving plot rather than a new shade on the green screen every week, but that's just me.

Well, so long for now, about bed time. Kinda sad I won't have any SPN to drift off with....

Comment

Hehe, yes, I mean the ratings. In Germany, we call them "Quoten". While knowing the term "ratings" I somewhat automatically said "quotes" . Can't you say that with this meaning in English?
                                Just found "quota" in the dictionary. Can this mean "ratings" or is it meant for something different?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X