This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate FLT Drive vs StarTrek FTL Drive

I have a tech question, which is faster, a HyperDrive or a WarpDrive?

hyperdrive definitely. prommie went over 1000 ly in "Prometheus", it'd take months to do that with warp drive. warp 9 is 1516 times the speed of light. thats over half a year to get 1000 ly

Comment

Originally posted by Hermes
      I guess you're talking about Star Trek's Warp Drive.

Hyperdrive takes the ship out of normal space to travel, so although it would get you to your destination sooner, it's difficult to tell if it is really faster, since speed is distance/time, it actually contracts the distance necessary to travel between two points. (you could say a wormhole is the fastest, but the "speed" is walking speed...)

Warp drive is in normal space, even though the ships on StarTrek are enveloped in a "warp bubble" which allows them to "slide" through space faster than newtonian physics would say is possible.

Star Trek even had references to a slipstream drive in STV, which took the ship out of normal space, and naturally, they have wormholes, etc.

The answer you're probably looking for is: Hyperdrive
      -GuyFromOH
      I'm a guy, from Ohio.
      ------------------------------------
      Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
      Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
      cool!"

Comment

If you count the horrible Voyager episode "Threshold" Warp, otherwise Hyperdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
          If you count the horrible Voyager episode "Threshold" Warp, otherwise Hyperdrive.
          Yeah it was really weird when they started to turn into those pre-historic water mammals. WORST EPISODE EVER!!!
          "They dyed me this colour!"
          Ossie Davis
          Bubba Ho-tep

Comment

yep that episode was stupid and had so many plot holes dam startrek

but to stay on topic hyperdrive is faster

Comment

Hyper.

Speed is calculated by distance and how long it took for you to get there meaning time.
              It doesn't matter how you get there. It's distances traveled and how long it took to get there.
              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Hyperdrive. Asgard hyperdrives can hop between galaxies in minutes. It was supposed to take Voyager, what? 75 years to get a mere 70,000 lightyears? (3/4 of the width of our galaxy)
                sigpic

Comment

I would think that Stargate ships go faster.
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*

Comment

Hyperdrives go WAY faster then warpdrives.
                    I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
                    so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
                    But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
                    Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
                    GW My home away from home....
                    My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

I'm going with Hyperdrive
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hermes
                        Hyperdrives are definitely faster as they go into subspace. Warp drive on the other hand creates a subspace bubble around the ship and essentially makes the ship go partially into subspace.
                        Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                        Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
                          Hyperdrives are definitely faster as they go into subspace. Warp drive on the other hand creates a subspace bubble around the ship and essentially makes the ship go partially into subspace.
                          So basically it is traveling fast but not in the hole bending the needle type of fast.

I am trying to understand.

It's not like bending the needle because that would be like being their like when you step through the stargate.
                          Isn't going into subspace the same thing as traveling in subspace? Please explain.

Comment

Hyperdrive! Definately! I mean even the name sounds like it goes faster than WarpDrive
                            sigpic

Comment

i think it is the hyper in it. BTW time diulation would be greater in hyper drive, meaning that you would live milenia longer than someone not in hyperdrive if you were to live at hyperdrive speed ur whole life

Comment

Working...
                              X