No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necessary Evil was brilliant- from what I remember probably my favourite episode from the second season. Beautifully shot, flashbacks can often be boring if not done well, here they were used very effectively, and all in all a great detective story that once again demonstrates how the writers of DS9 were never afraid to allow the characters to venture into the morally grey.

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
    Hey brother HG, always good to see you on the superior thread. I was at a local comic book and collectable store last week and saw a full collection of every Star Trek character ever made into a doll/action figure. It had them all from each series displayed is this huge custom built stand. This guy had all the variations of each action figure, meaning if one came with different clothing or a different uniform it was in the collection. I asked him is it for sale?. He laughed and said sure $25,000 and it's yours. If I was rich like brother Fifth Race, I would buy it and proudly display it.
    I think I'd faint from awe in the presense of such a collection.

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
      DS9 Season II Episode Discussion
      Episode #27 Necesaary Evil

An attempt on Quark's life sheds new light on a murder investigation from years ago that Odo had never solved, and as he looks at the new evidence (a mysterious list of names) he assembles the clues from the past and present to uncover the killer of a Bajoran chemist.

One real strength to "Necessary Evil" is its remarkably compelling flashback sequences, which are woven into the story flawlessly. James Conway's stellar direction and the standout art design and production takes us back to Terok Nor of five years earlier, creating a dark, malevolent slave mining station run by Gul Dukat. The lighting and photography is nothing short of brilliant - creating a true "Trek noir" - but the characterizations and story events are just as powerfully drawn. Odo's investigating techniques highlight his intelligence, patience, and thoroughness extremely well, and his pointed commentary about justice in both the dialog and the running security log voice-overs highlights many keen observations. The flashbacks plausibly and interestingly document the way Odo met Kira, Dukat, and Quark all within the same investigation. The story's use of the murdered man's widow, Pallra, is also nicely realized. Kira's role in the investigation is especially intriguing, opening the door to more dark chapters of the freedom fighter's violent past. The revelation that she was actually the killer, on assignment by the Bajoran underground, is gutsy and probing, weakening a bond of trust shared between her and Odo. With a plot that is beautifully crafted, its powerful and thoughtful dialog, and a multitude of riveting character implications, "Necessary Evil" is one of the series' all-time best installments.
      The film noir feel (or as you coined awhile back Trek Noir) really enhanced the whole episode. It gave Terok Nor an even creepier and dank feeling that fit perfectly with the storyline.
      Odo never ceases to amaze me, especially when he and Kira are together on screen. Kira was simply amazing as usual, this was basically the first episode that I started to look at Kira differently. She was able to show a side of character and acting ability we hadn't seen prior to Necessary Evil.
      This episode is Trek Noir at it's best. It feels like an old Sam Spade novel come to life (unlike TNG's Dixon Hill... those stunk!), you expect to see Bogey and Bacall in the background somewhere. It gives a great glimpse of Kira, Odo, Quark, and Dukat when the Cardassians ruled terok nor. It is interesting to see how TPTB used lighting and music to set an entirely differnt tone for the spacestation.

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      My pleasure Kris .

For those who haven't read or want to read A Stitch in Time. - You find out about Garak's childhood, events just before and just after "Tears of the Prophets", Garak's initiation into the Obsidian Order, Gul Dukat's first name, the real reason Dukat hates Garak so much, some "missing scenes" from "What You Leave Behind". You also find out why Garak was exiled to Terok Nor and why he stayed behind on Deep Space Nine, where his gardening skills come from, and a few months of developments on Cardassia after the end of the war... just to name a few of the more interesting bits.

The book basically follows three timelines: One starts in Garak's youth, just before he goes off to join an academy, and progresses to about the middle of "Emissary". A second starts just before "Tears of the Prophets" and continues to near the end of "What You Leave Behind". The third goes from shortly after Garak's arrival on Cardassia after WYLB and shows important events in the rebuilding of the planet.

This book is written in a series of first-person entries into Garak's journal, which he has arranged into an interesting order and is sending to Dr. Bashir.

That's excellent. I have found that re-watching DS9 on DVD was actually better than the first time I watched it during its original airing. The shows depth (writing and characters) really shines through, you end up realizing just how great and entertaining a show it is.

Ok ANOTHER book to add to my list. I recently purchased (gotta love used book stores) Federation, Vulcan's Forge, and Best Destiny and voraciously read them. This one sounds like a must read.

Comment

I am generally an all around proud nerd (more scifi than science). I do not dress the part, act the part (in public that is) or look the part (thank God!). IMO most men (if not all) have some nerd in them, otherwise we wouldn't be men.

Originally I wanted to be an electrical engineer, but the math was killing me, so I switched to mechanical engineering after my first year and basically breezed through in getting my degree. I got a job with the US government right out of college working for the Navy in Japan. I had a blast and ended working in Tokyo for 2 years from 89-91. After that job was over I got re-assigned to Alameda Naval station, which is in Oakland CA. near my home. I worked there for another year or so when my dad asked me if I wanted to be partners with him in the family seafood business. I reluctantly agreed and 25 years later I have no regrets that I basically ditched my degree to run the family business. I make a lot more money now than I would have made as an engineer, and I love the hours. I also train a handful of clients at 24 hr Fitness and Gold's Gym that are interested in Body Building and Power Lifting. Which I don't do for the money, I just love teaching and I used to be a competitive Power Lifter so I get the great opportunity to pass on my knowledge to people on how to make themselves stronger and look better through diet, exercise and weight lifting. I have always admired teachers, so when I had the chance to become personal trainer I took it and found that teaching is so wonderfully addictive.

Well that's a mini bio (from college to present) on myself, feel free to share a little about yourselves anyone.

Ok My mini bio is thus:
        Left small town Maine to pursue a nursing degree at BYU, but got married and had a baby and forgot my degree. We moved to Indiana in 1986 for my hubby's PhD in chemistry at Purdue University. When he finished his degree, he stayed on at Purdue for a while. I had the privilege of being a stay at home Mom for many years (but honestly I was NEVER home it seems ) and did the "carpool" rounds. This offered me many opportunities for volunteer work. I have done all types, from teaching classes to service in nursing homes, but I found working with troubled teens to be the most interesting. We moved to Indianapolis from Purdue a few years ago. When our daughter left for college, (I cried) I went back to school and just completed my BS in Psychology. I will be starting law school in the fall. I want to work in the justice system, preferably with juveniles. I don't regret staying home with our daughter, it has enabled her and I to develop a very close bond, but now it is time for me focus outside the home. I am lucky that my hubby is not only supportive of my education, but is also a nerd so we have plenty to talk about even with an "empty nest".

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
          Necessary Evil was brilliant- from what I remember probably my favourite episode from the second season. Beautifully shot, flashbacks can often be boring if not done well, here they were used very effectively, and all in all a great detective story that once again demonstrates how the writers of DS9 were never afraid to allow the characters to venture into the morally grey.
          I could not have said it any better Lady Trek. Besides being a great episode, Necessary Evil was a great character piece episode that gave valuable insight to what made the characters of DuKat, Kira and Odo tick in the present. This was the first of a handful of flashback episodes that showed life on Terok Nor before it became Deep Space 9. Each time they delved into this dark world of the past, you knew you were getting something special.
          Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
          I think I'd faint from awe in the presense of such a collection.
          Tell me about it. Brother Base told me about this collection yesterday and I plan on going to see it next week sometime. As much as I would love own and collect something like that, I don't think I would want to put out that kind of money, although it would probably be a good investment. Brother Starbase knows his Trek memorabilia and he said this collection has the rarest of the rare, and as far as he knows, it truly is a complete set, including collectables he didn't know existed, including defect dolls that accidently made it on to the market.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
            Fifth Race ...thank you for the Andrew Robinson interviews. A joy to read. I can see how his attention to detail and caring about his character came across in his book 'A Stitch in Time'. That book is one of the best Star Trek books I have read.
            My pleasure Kris. Andrew Robinson sure knows how to give an interview that makes it fan friendly. I wish I would have took the time to meet him at a Trek convention he attended years ago.
            Originally posted by Krisz View Post
            Watching 'Emissary' I also forgot how well Sisko's character was detailed from the start. We really know where he is coming from at the outset, the foundations beautifully laid. Stargate could have taken a leaf from DS9's book in this regard when introducing the character of Cameron Mitchell, his introduction never really worked for me, I never felt I knew or cared for him.
            Sisko was the man (like Starbase stated) from the beginning. His character was pretty much set in stone from the start, which he portrayed beautifully. I went into DS9 already being a huge Avery Brooks fan from his work as Hawk on the 1980's television show 'Spencer For Hire'. I could see elements of Hawk in the Sisko character, especially when Sisko donned the shaved head look after season II. I never really appreciated Emissary that much until I re-watched it a few times. I now, rank it as the best Trek premiere from any of the various series.

I didn't care to much for the Cameron Mitchell character in season 9 (his first), maybe it has to do with not separating him from Farscape. That being said, he has grown on me during season 10. I am just bummed we didn't get at least one more season to end the Ori storyline the right way.
            Originally posted by Krisz
            'A Man Alone' works well as an introduction to the nervousness that is prevelant on the station as everyone adjusts to their new positions and to the new order of things. Now they are starting to get to know one another and what they can and can't get away with, let the fun begin! Of course this episode has Bashir's and Garak's first meeting! It was fun to see the wonderfully naive fresh faced Bashir again. Watching as he nervously faces the unreadable Garak and chuckling at his bumbling teenage like crush on Jadzia!
            I absolutely loved that first encounter between Bashir and Garak. Bashir did act like he was a little scared, a little in awe and even a little envious of Garak. How great was Garak in that first meeting.

Bashir was awfully wet under the ears that first season. He almost was forgotten by the end of season. TPTB didn't write to much for him initially, which all changed by the time season III came around.
            Originally posted by Krisz
            My money has been well spent on this DVD collection, I didn't realise how much I missed this show! Also this time round I have other like minded people I can share the moments with, I am no longer alone!
            That's music to my ears Kris. Thanx for posting up some thoughts on the above mentioned episodes. I look forward to discussing anything and everything as you go through the series again.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally I wanted to be an electrical engineer, but the math was killing me, so I switched to mechanical engineering after my first year and basically breezed through in getting my degree. I got a job with the US government right out of college working for the Navy in Japan. I had a blast and ended working in Tokyo for 2 years from 89-91. After that job was over I got re-assigned to Alameda Naval station, which is in Oakland CA. near my home. I worked there for another year or so when my dad asked me if I wanted to be partners with him in the family seafood business. I reluctantly agreed and 25 years later I have no regrets that I basically ditched my degree to run the family business. I make a lot more money now than I would have made as an engineer, and I love the hours. I also train a handful of clients at 24 hr Fitness and Gold's Gym that are interested in Body Building and Power Lifting. Which I don't do for the money, I just love teaching and I used to be a competitive Power Lifter so I get the great opportunity to pass on my knowledge to people on how to make themselves stronger and look better through diet, exercise and weight lifting. I have always admired teachers, so when I had the chance to become personal trainer I took it and found that teaching is so wonderfully addictive.
              Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
              Ok My mini bio is thus:
              Left small town Maine to pursue a nursing degree at BYU, but got married and had a baby and forgot my degree. We moved to Indiana in 1986 for my hubby's PhD in chemistry at Purdue University. When he finished his degree, he stayed on at Purdue for a while. I had the privilege of being a stay at home Mom for many years (but honestly I was NEVER home it seems ) and did the "carpool" rounds. This offered me many opportunities for volunteer work. I have done all types, from teaching classes to service in nursing homes, but I found working with troubled teens to be the most interesting. We moved to Indianapolis from Purdue a few years ago. When our daughter left for college, (I cried) I went back to school and just completed my BS in Psychology. I will be starting law school in the fall. I want to work in the justice system, preferably with juveniles. I don't regret staying home with our daughter, it has enabled her and I to develop a very close bond, but now it is time for me focus outside the home. I am lucky that my hubby is not only supportive of my education, but is also a nerd so we have plenty to talk about even with an "empty nest".
              Wow you two are far more interesting than muah.

Ok here is my mini-bio: I was born in San Francisco in 1966, I grew up in Marin County in the city of San Rafael (11 miles north of San Francisco). I went to grade, middle and high school with Fifth Race and Starbase, we all grew up within a couple miles of each other. I graduated from San Francisco State University in 1990 with a degree in business administration (boring, I know). I got married to a lovely lady I met through Starbase and his wife, we don't have any kid's, yet, but I am feeling the pressure. We both run seperate home businesses and make quite a good living. I also work part time (helping with the books) at brother Fifth Race's family seafood business. My hobbies include weight lifting, mountain hiking, fishing and everything scifi. It took me years, but I have finally converted my wife over to the dark-side, she now loves scifi almost as much as I do.
              The USS Defiant Rocks!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                This episode is Trek Noir at it's best. It feels like an old Sam Spade novel come to life (unlike TNG's Dixon Hill... those stunk!), you expect to see Bogey and Bacall in the background somewhere. It gives a great glimpse of Kira, Odo, Quark, and Dukat when the Cardassians ruled terok nor. It is interesting to see how TPTB used lighting and music to set an entirely differnt tone for the spacestation.
                LOL on Dixon Hill, those couple of episodes were pretty bad. Jean Luc looked so out of place in that scenario, I just couldn't buy into his character, at least Guinan was good.

When you watch DS9 on Spike the lighting and film quality looks horrible on some of those darker episodes due to the compression of a cable or satelite hook-up. - Yet when you watch the same episodes on DVD the quality is much better and you get a dark noir look that TPTB were going for. I got this from DVD Times .....

DS9 was filmed at a 4:3 aspect ratio and this has been preserved for the DVD release. As such, the transfer is non-anamorphic, but is reasonably good. There are some minor encoding issues - mostly minor compression artefacts in static scenes and some aliasing. On the whole though the transfer is perfectly fine and superior to early seasons of TNG and a number of other TV shows. The colours appear a little washed out and there is quite a lot of noticeable grain, but this is as a result of the original recording and nothing to do with the DVD transfer. Black levels are reasonably good and the special effects scenes are nice and sharp.
                Originally posted by Rac80
                Ok ANOTHER book to add to my list. I recently purchased (gotta love used book stores) Federation, Vulcan's Forge, and Best Destiny and voraciously read them. This one sounds like a must read.
                Used book stores and garage sales are any book lovers best friend. My wife gets most of our book collecton from either or. I put Best Destiny on the find it list, I have and read Vulcan's Forge.
                The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

DS9 ers,

Have not been able to stop in much lately, but just wanted to share a few thoughts that are not episode specific. I have finished seasons 2 and 3, so my collection now includes 2-3-6-7. The only season I have not viewed is 4 and will probably be purchasing it soon.

I view all of Trek as commentary on human nature and each show has its special emhpasis. Ds9 has the major theme of capitalism and the entreprenurial spirit, embodied in Quark and the Ferengi. Even though they are portrayed as butt-heads, they are also a close study in many of the profit hungry's finest qualities: accomodation, relationship building, faith in the river of opportunities, hospitality. Having worked with a lot of folks like this, I am amazed at the accuracy of many of the details. The Rules of Acquisition are masterful and despite the laughs, full of a lot of truth.

Seasons 2 and 3 have greatly elevated my admiration for the Sisko character. He is such a great father and being a father of a 15 year old, I actually found myself admiring his balancing of sober guidance and open affection. This illustration of single fatherhood is, I think, unique in the Trek canon. In general, Sisko is one of the warmest captains I can think of, but he's also balanced, not excessively driven by compassion (like Janeway often is), decisive, tough, a model captain.

I'll try to drop in later to tie some of these observations to specific episodes. But let me say this, Past Tense 1 and 2 are so much better than say, Time's Arrow 1 and 2. They really should have been in the time travel set.

Comment

Episode #27 Necesaary Evil.
                    Necessary Evil is still one of the most popular episodes of the series. The direction is wonderful, making this a truly compelling show. But, standout characterizations are the key here, and they shine. The basic's of Odo's persona are revealed in the episode, as well as a dark chapter from Kira's past. Wonderful performances all across the board (as usual). The show is a very effective look into the Cardassian occupation, Major Kira's past, and Chief of Security Odo.

What makes 'Necessary Evil' a standout episode also encapsulates what was great about DS9 in general - the eagerness to be different and daring, to be unafraid of taking chances with its characters and telling stories more disturbing than its sister shows, but more compelling and rewarding in the end
                    Last edited by Starbase; 24 June 2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610
                      I view all of Trek as commentary on human nature and each show has its special emhpasis. Ds9 has the major theme of capitalism and the entreprenurial spirit, embodied in Quark and the Ferengi. Even though they are portrayed as butt-heads, they are also a close study in many of the profit hungry's finest qualities: accomodation, relationship building, faith in the river of opportunities, hospitality. Having worked with a lot of folks like this, I am amazed at the accuracy of many of the details. The Rules of Acquisition are masterful and despite the laughs, full of a lot of truth.
                      Well said my friend. DS9 had a wonerful and uncanny ability to bring the various portrayed races to life better than any of the other Trek series. The Ferengi are no exception here, TPTB with DS9 literally made them seem like a real society that we might have studied in school due to the great detail that went into creating there race. The Rules of Acquisition were actually written out to completion for DS9, I will have to dig them up and post them in the near future, there worth a good laugh.
                      Seasons 2 and 3 have greatly elevated my admiration for the Sisko character. He is such a great father and being a father of a 15 year old, I actually found myself admiring his balancing of sober guidance and open affection. This illustration of single fatherhood is, I think, unique in the Trek canon. In general, Sisko is one of the warmest captains I can think of, but he's also balanced, not excessively driven by compassion (like Janeway often is), decisive, tough, a model captain.
                      I wholeheartedly agree about the advent of Sisko's character in season's 2 & 3. I will give you a quick breakdown of my overall thoughts on each of those seasons:

Season II - is not the best season of DS9, but it was an outstanding season overall, and definitely one of the better seasons in both DS9's run and the Trek canon. When stepping back to look at the large canvas in terms of the entire series that second season's strengths and importance become clear.

The reasons for DS9's success for season II can be traced to (1) the amount of pivotal impact and relevance its stories had to the major plot lines as they continued to unfold in subsequent seasons, and (2) how deeply the season fleshed out the characters. This season is almost without a doubt the most important in character terms. The true relationships between everybody began to feel completely real. DS9 persona's were given new dimensions that were previously unseen in the series' freshman season. At the same time, these characterizations grew out of what we knew of each person.

Season III - The series took a sharp turn toward adventure, and the results were fairly successful. There were many stories featuring DS9's official new villains, the Dominion. Kicking off the season with the action packed episode "The Search, Part I," the series presented its new starship, the Defiant. The Defiant allowed the crew to escape the confines of the station for starship-based stories to satisfy the highly-demanded action quotient of the series.

However, the series was still at its best when dealing with intrigue and personal issues. Deep Space Nine has always been strongest when dealing with long-term story arcs which build from episode to episode. Fortunately, this was done with the Dominion storyline this year, which will surely become the defining story arc of the series.
                      I'll try to drop in later to tie some of these observations to specific episodes. But let me say this, Past Tense 1 and 2 are so much better than say, Time's Arrow 1 and 2. They really should have been in the time travel set.
                      I look forward to it my friend. I will soon post up some of my personal thoughts on the above mention episodes.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
                        DS9 ers,
                        Have not been able to stop in much lately, but just wanted to share a few thoughts that are not episode specific. I have finished seasons 2 and 3, so my collection now includes 2-3-6-7. The only season I have not viewed is 4 and will probably be purchasing it soon.
                        Season 4 was excellent, we had the addition of Worf and elevation of Klingon's, TPTB used a lot more special effects, and there were probably more highly rated episodes than other season. Worf's addition to the DS9 cast was exactly what I expected. It wasn't overemphasized by any means, and at the same time, the writers supplied the character with enough material to maintain a respectable presence along with the rest of the cast. DS9's cast is a well-oiled ensemble machine!.

Right alongside Worf came the Klingon plot line and its repercussions: the disintegration of the Federation/Klingon treaty, a new obstinate presence in DS9's area of space, and a plentiful supply of new problems for Captain Sisko and the crew to contend with.

There were really no very bad episodes in season 4, even the ones I would consider not great were still very good. The stand-out/truly excellent episodes of season 4 IMO are The Visitor and Hard Time - both are two of the best character pieces from any season. Other stand-outs include Homefront, Accession and The Way of the Warrior among a few others.
                        I view all of Trek as commentary on human nature and each show has its special emhpasis. DS9 has the major theme of capitalism and the entreprenurial spirit, embodied in Quark and the Ferengi. Even though they are portrayed as butt-heads, they are also a close study in many of the profit hungry's finest qualities: accomodation, relationship building, faith in the river of opportunities, hospitality. Having worked with a lot of folks like this, I am amazed at the accuracy of many of the details. The Rules of Acquisition are masterful and despite the laughs, full of a lot of truth.
                        "Finest qualities" and Ferengi mentioned in the same sentence?, now that's a first. I admire some things about the Ferengi and Quark in particular, that being said there are plenty of things about Ferengi society that are suspect to say the least, chauvinism and sexism come to mind. Although Ferengi society sure did advance a long way during DS9, thanks maninly to Moogie, Grand Nagus Zek, Rom and Nog.
                        Well said my friend. Sisko really came into to his own with his fathering abilities and commanding duties during seasons 2 & 3, especially in season 3.
                        The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Episode #28 Second Sight

In "Second Sight," the brilliant Professor Seyetik (Richard Kiley) comes to DS9 to prepare a groundbreaking experiment. Meanwhile, Sisko meets an enigmatic woman and finds himself falling in love for the first time since his wife's death four years earlier.

The woman, Fenna (Salli Elise Richardson), is like a dream - she has a knack for saying the perfect thing at the perfect time. The only problem: she keeps disappearing ... literally. Many portions of this episode ring true. There are some genuinely engaging emotional moments in the romance between Sisko and Fenna, often present in the performances is a sweet chemistry that proves engaging and sometimes downright moving. Even more engaging are the typically effective scenes between Sisko and his son. One scene in particular ends with a big laugh, as Jake gives his father a look of utter bemusement. What doesn't work, unfortunately, is the "sci-fi" plotting used to explain Fenna's existence. The plot makes a less than stellar attempt to link Fenna to Seyetik's wife, Nidell, writing Fenna off as a nonreal figment of Nidell's convenient telepathic abilities. As compensation for the gratuitous twist, the episode has Kiley as the egomaniac Seyetik. He's the type of guy who writes his own obituary because he wouldn't dream of leaving the task of writing something so important in anyone else's hands. You've gotta love this guy, he's arrogant, and he knows it. Kiley is delightful, bringing a great deal of humor and charisma to the role, with a final scene that is bittersweet in its theatrics. Unfortunately, the more important issue here - that of Sisko's romance, ultimately falls short (and feels too much like a Reset Button Plot) because of the story's need to make his would-be companion nonreal, thus rendering the romance dramatically unfulfilling.
                          The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Episode #28 Second Sight

In "Second Sight," the brilliant Professor Seyetik (Richard Kiley) comes to DS9 to prepare a groundbreaking experiment. Meanwhile, Sisko meets an enigmatic woman and finds himself falling in love for the first time since his wife's death four years earlier.

The woman, Fenna (Salli Elise Richardson), is like a dream - she has a knack for saying the perfect thing at the perfect time. The only problem: she keeps disappearing ... literally. Many portions of this episode ring true. There are some genuinely engaging emotional moments in the romance between Sisko and Fenna, often present in the performances is a sweet chemistry that proves engaging and sometimes downright moving. Even more engaging are the typically effective scenes between Sisko and his son. One scene in particular ends with a big laugh, as Jake gives his father a look of utter bemusement. What doesn't work, unfortunately, is the "sci-fi" plotting used to explain Fenna's existence. The plot makes a less than stellar attempt to link Fenna to Seyetik's wife, Nidell, writing Fenna off as a nonreal figment of Nidell's convenient telepathic abilities. As compensation for the gratuitous twist, the episode has Kiley as the egomaniac Seyetik. He's the type of guy who writes his own obituary because he wouldn't dream of leaving the task of writing something so important in anyone else's hands. You've gotta love this guy, he's arrogant, and he knows it. Kiley is delightful, bringing a great deal of humor and charisma to the role, with a final scene that is bittersweet in its theatrics. Unfortunately, the more important issue here - that of Sisko's romance, ultimately falls short (and feels too much like a Reset Button Plot) because of the story's need to make his would-be companion nonreal, thus rendering the romance dramatically unfulfilling.

I found this episode pretty boring- the one-off episode Trek romance: forced, predictable, and dull, with the love interest never to be mentioned again. Thankfully we didn't get much of these eps throughout DS9 though, as you said the sci-fi twist was gratuitious, and the episode would have been much better off without it, the scenes between Sisko and Jake are certainly far more interesting than the romance. Unfortunately as far as I recall we didn't get a proper Sisko/Jake episode in the second season until the finale? I really love the episodes that focus on their relationship.

Comment

The only part of that episode that I enjoyed was the bit with the guy having "tinkered" with the warp engines so they would go faster (technobabble is occasionally fun), and the bit about the star being brought back to life.

Other than that I considered it a bit of a waste. This is another one of those episodes that I've only seen once. Was it a nebula class starship that they used?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                I found this episode pretty boring- the one-off episode Trek romance: forced, predictable, and dull, with the love interest never to be mentioned again. Thankfully we didn't get much of these eps throughout DS9 though, as you said the sci-fi twist was gratuitious, and the episode would have been much better off without it, the scenes between Sisko and Jake are certainly far more interesting than the romance. Unfortunately as far as I recall we didn't get a proper Sisko/Jake episode in the second season until the finale? I really love the episodes that focus on their relationship.
                                I got to agree with all of you, Second Sight was rather forgettable. I just finished watching it this evening.... What should have been an interesting Sisko story gave way to everyone else providing comic relief for his over-done intensity. Dax, Bashir, Kira, O'Brien, and guest star Seyetik kept their senses of humor even when events got un-funny. Sisko, however fell in love intensely, talked to Jake intensely, investigated intensely, and moped intensely.

So it was a problem when the direction plodded, and the plot out-dumbed dream sequences. Seytik's suicide was inappropriately funny ("Let there be light!"), but I wished Sisko would have burst into a big grin at least, it would have been better if he lightened up a bit.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X