Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anubis69
    Sounds very Halo, Metroid and SG though. It's too generic sci-fi for trek to do it. From my PoV they want to push the boundaries of SF, not conform into another overdone (and usually badly done) topic.
    It's overdone now, but then it was quite fresh. Remember, SG, Halo etc all 'came up' with the idea after TNG. I'm just saying they could have got in first...

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

I find DS9 my 4th favourite of the lot, with Voyager the wone i hate.

TOS
      TNG
      ENT (tho that has cocked up some Trek history)
      DS9
      VOY

One thing i've always felt with the Trek shows after TOS is that they all tried to create relationships with the characters they where equal to the Kirk, Spock and McCoy triangle. TNG came close, and DS9 had Odo and Quarck, Miles and Julian, VOY had sod all.

But for me, TOS is the ultimate Trek. Tho it had campy elements to it, it was the 60's, but it was by far the most fun to watch, and it didn't rely on all that heavy techno babble, which seemed to plague DS9 and VOY... and even TNG, but that was fine some how.

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
      Lister: 'Why not?'
      Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
      Cat: 'Can we see him?'
      Rimmer: 'See who?'
      Cat: 'The king.'
      Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
      Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
      Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

That is what made TOS inspire everything the fact that less is more. Granted there were some elements that made the stories cheesy at times, but then again there was not as much techno speak.
        All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
        Pay it forward

Comment

Exactly. TNG had it, but it was different. A new generation of fans. DS9 and VOY did it to death.

TOS and TNG are the best by far, with TOS the best in general... IMO

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
          Lister: 'Why not?'
          Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
          Cat: 'Can we see him?'
          Rimmer: 'See who?'
          Cat: 'The king.'
          Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
          Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
          Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

What also made the earlier shows great was the fact that they did not explain all the aspects and history of the villains, there was an air of mystery and intrigue that left the viewer wanting more. In today's shows they feel they have to explain everything.
            The writers should take a lesson from the masters of horror and scifi, don't go into so much detail when you introduce a villain. i.e., Leatherface and Pinhead. Yes, I know off topic a little but then when Mark Lenard played the Romulan commander in TOS in "Balance of Terror" we were hooked and riveted because we did not know much and from that brief glimpse of the Romulans in TOS it was like "WOW!"
            Now that the Romulans and Klingons and every other species gets drummed into everyone's head with each new scifi series that comes around, there is nothing left to leave the viewer in awe.
            B+B simply viewed ST as a cash cow and they did everything they could to milk it as much as possible without any respect to the legacy of Roddenberry.

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger56
              I find DS9 my 4th favourite of the lot, with Voyager the wone i hate.

TOS
              TNG
              ENT (tho that has cocked up some Trek history)
              DS9
              VOY

I'm curious Smegger, did you ever see all the episodes of DS9 and Voyager. I was more of a TNG fan before the whole Dominion conflict started (around halfway through season 5) than a DS9 fan. I really did'nt care to much about Voyager till 7 of 9 came along too.
              Last edited by the Fifth Race; 01 November 2005, 11:02 AM.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

All of the recent comments about TOS remind me anew of how much I loved the show. Smegger is right about the original trio of Kirk/Spock/McCoy. I don't think any of the shows since then have had such a strong bond between characters and used to such good effect. And Skritsys makes some really good points about the groundwork laid in the first series, and the mystery and intrigue that it used to make such great scifi TV. And they did it every week--you never knew what you were going to get! Sometimes you had riveting character studies, sometimes great comedy, sometimes true tragedy; and always (with a few minor exceptions) really entertaining television.

Like The Fifth Race, I didn't really watch Voyager until 7 of 9 was added. She brought so much of the alienation and interesting character actions and reactions that the earlier shows had that was lacking until she showed up.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Most of the original shows Dark Shadows, Red Dwarf, ST:TOS depended on the writers and the actors to tell the stories. These days, most of the shows are so heavy on the SFX it is hard to tell a good scifi show. DS9 had a good combination of both and so did TNG. Granted some of the characters in DS9 were a bit one dimensional and some eps wandered off the beaten path, but those are somewhat forgivable. There is bound to be a few duds here and there, but what I liked most about DS9 were the characters and the fact that they were exploring another quadrant of space and still having some of the main elements that make ST so good.
                  Even SG-1 utilized the combination of actors who could really capture the attention of the viewer, the chemistry between O'Neill, Teal'c, Daniel, and Carter made SG-1 in much the same way ST:TOS did with the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triangle.
                  DS9 had the whole cast doing it all. Gul Dukat, Sisko, Kira, and Odo definitely took the show into a whole new direction with the rest of the cast following.

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                    Most of the original shows Dark Shadows, Red Dwarf, ST:TOS depended on the writers and the actors to tell the stories. These days, most of the shows are so heavy on the SFX it is hard to tell a good scifi show. DS9 had a good combination of both and so did TNG. Granted some of the characters in DS9 were a bit one dimensional and some eps wandered off the beaten path, but those are somewhat forgivable. There is bound to be a few duds here and there, but what I liked most about DS9 were the characters and the fact that they were exploring another quadrant of space and still having some of the main elements that make ST so good.
                    Even SG-1 utilized the combination of actors who could really capture the attention of the viewer, the chemistry between O'Neill, Teal'c, Daniel, and Carter made SG-1 in much the same way ST:TOS did with the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triangle.
                    DS9 had the whole cast doing it all. Gul Dukat, Sisko, Kira, and Odo definitely took the show into a whole new direction with the rest of the cast following.
                    Good point about writers and actors telling the story, rather than SFX. Some shows manage that balance and some don't

I'm really regretting that I didn't stick with DS-9; I think I only caught the first couple of episodes and I was totally bored. It was the same way with Voyager, but they had it on one our local stations for a couple of years recently, and I managed to catch most of the episodes, and enjoyed it immensely after sticking it out through the first few. Not so lucky with DS-9; I know it's on Spike, but I won't have cable until January, so I guess I'll have to wait.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Well if you just want the episodes from the series, you can always buy them online http://www.scifiboxsets.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                        I'm really regretting that I didn't stick with DS-9; I think I only caught the first couple of episodes and I was totally bored.
                        I was the same with DS9: I thought it was just plain dull to start off with (and who was this plastic-looking old guy in charge of security?)... and yet now, it's my favourite.

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brigadier General Pants
                          I was the same with DS9: I thought it was just plain dull to start off with (and who was this plastic-looking old guy in charge of security?)... and yet now, it's my favourite.

DS9 sure did take awhile to develope did'nt General?.

I too, did'nt care much for Odo (plastic looking security guy) and few other DS9 characters (ie. Jadzia, Kira, Jake and even Quark). But after sticking with the show I learned to appreciate and even love all those characters. The writing (especially characterization) was just just so damn good on DS9!.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

The only reason Odo looked so plastic was because he could never get the facial features of humans quite right.

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                              The only reason Odo looked so plastic was because he could never get the facial features of humans quite right.

I thought that was a very cool and smart way to portray Odo. Recreating the facial features if you are a scupltor or painter is probably the hardest thing to learn and do with skill.

Although seeing Odo become a Hawk or Eagle let alone a lion or some other big animal made his lack of being able to create a more human looking face puzzling sometimes.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

especially when he could fly and get the feathers right, I agree with you on that.

Pay it forward

Comment

Working...
                                X