No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree Fifth Race about the great Klingon storylines they had, especially in the later seasons of DS9. The whole Worf and Martok dealing with a Gouron worried about his legacy was fantastic stuff!. Martok himself was a great character that I could never get enough of. Martok was especially good dealing with the Romulans once they joined the Starfleet alliance against the Dominion. I also like when they first introduced Martok into show when Garak and Worf went looking for Garaks father Enabran Tain on a Dominion prison. I believe the episode was called 'In Purgatory's Shadow', truly a great episode!.

Comment

Martok was one of my alltime favorite characters on any of the Star Trek series. I also like Gouron alot till they turned him into a politico that all he cared about was his legacy. Worf gave what was coming to him in the end.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

DS9 was awesome.

At first Sisko hated being on DS9 and eventually Bajor became his home, it hit me when Jake said Earth wasn't home anymore at that moment DS9 became more realistic to me.

DS9 brought something that I never thought I would see in Trek space battles. In TOS and TNG space battles were hinted at but you never really saw big ones like on DS9.

DS9 also had alien characters that were supposed to be allies such as the Bajorans that at first didn't really like the Federation and who were openly hostile at first.

Klingons, all I have to say about that.

The Dominion imho was the most interesting villains in Trek.

Seeing San Francisco's Golden Gate bridge on Fire and half destroyed incited a very visceral reaction. Not only did the Dominion and Breen attack Earth they attacked the United States/North America, really didn't like them after that.

Favorite ferrengi episode: Magnificient ferrengi

Call to Arms was my favorite DS9 episode.

Comment

Originally posted by jree
          DS9 brought something that I never thought I would see in Trek space battles. In TOS and TNG space battles were hinted at but you never really saw big ones like on DS9.

The Dominion imho was the most interesting villains in Trek.

Seeing San Francisco's Golden Gate bridge on Fire and half destroyed incited a very visceral reaction. Not only did the Dominion and Breen attack Earth they attacked the United States/North America, really didn't like them after that.

Favorite ferrengi episode: Magnificient ferrengi

Call to Arms was my favorite DS9 episode.
          The space battles on DS9 were simply fantastic!, The special effects had'nt been perfected like they are now, but awe inspiring none the less!.

The Dominion were very interesting foes, and very powerful!

<<<<living in San Francisco my whole life I know exactly what you meant by seeing it in flames after the Breen and Dominion attack! very spooky stuff.

Magnificient Ferengi was a great episode as was Call to arms...

Great post Jree!!!
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

ohh what can i say that has not already been said?

TOS: not much of a fan but for its time it was light years ahead in the way it tackled racism and contaversial issues back when it was a taboo subject but it obviously stuck with many fans and when it moved over to the UK and the rest of the planet it became even bigger, aside from the cheesy acting and rather poor looking space battles (if there was even a space battle to be had since CGI was never around back then) but it pushed the boundaries and went down in history for all of the above and much more.

TNG: hmm at first odd but it grew much quicker than its predassesor with outstanding episodes and a great cast that over the years became a family, towards the end the story arcs became visable with the cardasians and the romulans even the klingons that most definately set the stage for its sister show DS9 in 1993.

DS9: oh great from the begining a real TNG feel with its one off episodes and cast but soon on from there the show proved to be a massive hit so much that VOY would never really have happened if it floped, lucky for all fans it did not and evolved into a great series that for me is my favourite.

VOY: again in the time that TNG eneded on a good note with the bigger budget movie and its predessesor DS9 well under way the new show once again pushed the franchise into the unknown with a whole new cast and some of the best one off eps there were in the franchise, the borg VOY biggest element and a certainty ever since the enterprise-D first flew in front of the borg cube all the way back in the very early 90s, so much so the much loved ST movie in VOY series 3 run became the best movie there had been and awaits to be toppled in my opinion and the 5th series ENT spin off with once again more borg in series 2 of ENT.

ENT: not the very best but a worthy attempt at painting the picture of the pre-federation era with some brilliant episodes and characters to be found, space battles may not have been the driving force behind this show but non the less it does not deserve to be forotten as a bad series.

just my little round up but yes DS9 has to be for me the best but let us not forget the big movies in the duration of this time.

Generations: a purely TNG spin off with space battles and more klingons that one man could shake at with a bat'leth, and a clear connection to the capt kirk era that made this a enjoyable flick.

First contact: oh yes this has to be the best of tham all, with the borg the time travel and the battles that threw ST into the 24th century, this big budget movie made possible by such movies and ID4 in 1996 gave way to the next 2 movies and the contraversial ENT series.

Insurection: a gigle a minute this film shows the humourus side of ST with some good battles and character moments, nice on location scenes and creative moments.

Nemesis: um not bad, a good follow up to the romulan TNG story arcs with some great battles and brilliant sets, showing the best of capt picard since FC and a change in the wind.
            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
              DS9: oh great from the begining a real TNG feel with its one off episodes and cast but soon on from there the show proved to be a massive hit so much that VOY would never really have happened if it floped, lucky for all fans it did not and evolved into a great series that for me is my favourite.

VOY: again in the time that TNG eneded on a good note with the bigger budget movie and its predessesor DS9 well under way the new show once again pushed the franchise into the unknown with a whole new cast and some of the best one off eps there were in the franchise, the borg VOY biggest element and a certainty ever since the enterprise-D first flew in front of the borg cube all the way back in the very early 90s, so much so the much loved ST movie in VOY series 3 run became the best movie there had been and awaits to be toppled in my opinion and the 5th series ENT spin off with once again more borg in series 2 of ENT.

just my little round up but yes DS9 has to be for me the best but let us not forget the big movies in the duration of this time.
              Voyager had big shoes to fill following DS9 (as did DS9 following TNG, which IMHO it eventually did). Onething Star Trek did marvelously with it TV series is they did something completely different with each series. It was'nt like one long continuation from series to series. Even Enterprise (although it flopped pretty miserably) was a bold step for the powers that be to try.

I'm with you on the Star Trek movies Darkstar! (some were much better than others) but all were fun and are all part of my DVD collection which I still watch regulary. 'Undiscovered Country', 'First Contact' and 'The Voyage Home' are personal favorites.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                It wasn't like one long continuation from series to series.
                I think in a way it was. Different in their own ways, yeah, but it was different spins on the same timeline, same region, same characters (give or take) and that's why it was great. That everything tied in when it came right down to it. I'm gonna use DS9 as an example cos it's freshest in my mind, but when in the briefings they say things like "The Dominion just invaded Betazed" and how that was Troi's home planet. And all the continuity that was kept up, Klingon history, past wars, the fleets that were wrecked during the beginning of the war and how later they said "that the 7th fleet is already severely depleted". All those little things made Trek even better than on face value. The more you watch and learn, the more you get out of it, and hence more you want to watch!!

Also, does anyone else think that although they never showed certain battles (Wolf 359, initial Dominion war "hit-and-runs" etc.) it made it so much cooler?

can't remember the fleet number so....

"We've got word from the nth fleet"
                Bashir: "And...."
                "Only 12 ships returned..."
                Bashir: "12! 12 ships out of a 124!?"

Just imaging that battle was very cool in itself. It adds to the whole experience.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                  I think in a way it was. Different in their own ways, yeah, but it was different spins on the same timeline, same region, same characters (give or take) and that's why it was great. That everything tied in when it came right down to it. I'm gonna use DS9 as an example cos it's freshest in my mind, but when in the briefings they say things like "The Dominion just invaded Betazed" and how that was Troi's home planet. And all the continuity that was kept up, Klingon history, past wars, the fleets that were wrecked during the beginning of the war and how later they said "that the 7th fleet is already severely depleted". All those little things made Trek even better than on face value. The more you watch and learn, the more you get out of it, and hence more you want to watch!!

Also, does anyone else think that although they never showed certain battles (Wolf 359, initial Dominion war "hit-and-runs" etc.) it made it so much cooler?

can't remember the fleet number so....

"We've got word from the nth fleet"
                  Bashir: "And...."
                  "Only 12 ships returned..."
                  Bashir: "12! 12 ships out of a 124!?"

Just imaging that battle was very cool in itself. It adds to the whole experience.

I agree with you Anubis about the time line similarities (except for Enterprise)...TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager all were basically in sucession as far as the time line ran (over 150 year period or so). What I meant is that other than a few crossover characters (Worf, Q, Troi, Barkley and O'Brien from TNG to DS9 and Voyager) and having the Enterprise in common with TOS, TNG and Enterprise, each series were something completely different with different story arcs. Which is a great testimony to Roddenberry and the other PTB that created the TV shows.

The battle scenes (spaceship battle scenes were awe inspiring on DS9). When you have so many different races and species going up against each other in an intergalactic war, you have makings of some great scifi TV!.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

my favourite episode that sticl in my head are:

favour the bold: that was a good space battle and some great character moments

Seige of AR-558: this showed one of the best ground battles since season 6 and some great dialogue too.

far beyond the stars: a great chance to see the actors as themsleves without the make up, but a great story about racisim in the era it was set in even if it was a vision, personally the prophet vision eps are not really my favourite but this goes down as a good all round episode.

tears of the prophets: another great space battle and some good characyer moments aswell.

changing face of evil: a great battle episode but a new twist with the introduction of the breen to the war and the unexpected destruction of the uss-defient at last, well not that i've been hoping for it its just after so many battles the defient technically should have been blown away sooner.

i think overall season 6 and 7 proved to be my personal favourites and these are just the few that came to mind, it was a shame to see it end but nothing can last forever, another thing was the introduction of the breen, it was supprising to have a new ally so soon towards the end of the entire series.
                    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                      i think overall season 6 and 7 proved to be my personal favourites and these are just the few that came to mind, it was a shame to see it end but nothing can last forever, another thing was the introduction of the breen, it was supprising to have a new ally so soon towards the end of the entire series.

Seasons 6 and 7 and even season 5 stand out for me personally!....The introduction of Martok/Klingon angle and the whole Garak/Ebrontan angle with the Cardassians joining forces with the Dominion was just fanatstic writing!.

The Breen were'nt complete strangers to the ST universe. Tehy were talked about in TNG where we encountered them before. They were portrayed as a very powerful and Xenophobic race that had run ins with the Klingons.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race

The Breen were'nt complete strangers to the ST universe. Tehy were talked about in TNG where we encountered them before. They were portrayed as a very powerful and Xenophobic race that had run ins with the Klingons.
                        oh wasen;t that the Hur'q?

oh im confused if you are a big fan of the ST series you will have heared a little about the hur'q and extinct race that fits in category of former powerful and now extinct alien races that for reasons unknown are gone for good such as the:

Promelian's: from TNG a ship of theirs was discovered in a minefeild or asteroid feild and is said to be very powerful battle ship that was a shame was never really touched upon.

DS9 touched upon the Ikoniann race a former technicaly advanced race that strangely enough built dorrways to other places that could have given the Jema'hadar the ultimate tactical ability of appearing anywhere in the known universe with no warning

others were the Gorn as seen as a reptilian race that appeared in TOS and another i cannot think of the name to save my life that painted the picture of the ancient past (not stargate ancients mind you) that gave us the answer to why alien races such as the klingons humans and romulans all look pretty much humanoid in TNG.

there are more but i had a brain wave that has sadly now gone away

Comment

The Hur'q (spelling?) race/species was mentioned on TNG but so were the Breen. I will do a search on all TNG season discs and see if I can find the exact episode they were mentioned.

It had to do with the Enterprise investigating a Breen colony near the Black Cluster.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

They were touched upon briefly in DS9 before they joined the war as well. In the Dominion war camp with Worf, Martok, Garak and Bashir. The one that tried to get the Jem'hadar's disruptor. For those who can't remember, lets just say he won't be seen anytime soon! The Romulans also had a saying, "Never turn your back on a Breen"..... Wonder what they look like under the suit.... wonder what they talk like.....

Woops, OT! To answer the question about what ep of TNG, according to the ST enyclopedia, was "Hero Worship" and one was also involved in "Interface".

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                              They were touched upon briefly in DS9 before they joined the war as well. In the Dominion war camp with Worf, Martok, Garak and Bashir. The one that tried to get the Jem'hadar's disruptor. For those who can't remember, lets just say he won't be seen anytime soon! The Romulans also had a saying, "Never turn your back on a Breen"..... Wonder what they look like under the suit.... wonder what they talk like.....

Woops, OT! To answer the question about what ep of TNG, according to the ST enyclopedia, was "Hero Worship" and one was also involved in "Interface".

Ask and you shall recieve!....Thats awesome Anubis thanks for clearing that up. I watch alot of TNG and DS9 weekly on the Spike network (not to mention having all the seasons of TNG, DS9 and Voyager on DVD) and I remember an episode where Picard specifically mentioned the Breen and there encounters with the Romulans and how powerful they were becuase they had success in fighting the Romulans.

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember them laying the foundation for the introduction of the Breen by name and then one showing up on episode where Martok, Bashir and Enabrentan were in the Dominion prison where Worf and Garak came to there rescue. They actually portrayed the Breen in a good light with the one Breen prisoner helping out then getting himself killed in overpowering the Dominion guards. Man that was a great 2 part episode where the changeling Bashir was finally exposed and Garak had to fight his chlostrophobia in sending out out the SOS.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I'm curious Albion, what did'nt you like about the final season of DS9?, I have heard a few say they did'nt like it. Perosnally I thought it was great, it did seem like one long episode but there were a few stand alones during season 7.
                                Sorry for the late reply, Fifth Race! I have a dreadful habit on this forum of replying to threads and then never being able to remember where they were to visit them again.

What did I hate about the final season...well, thankfully my memory of it is a little hazy by now, so the details are vague, I'm afraid. There were, actually, some elements I thought were good about it. The whole revelation that the Kai (sorry can't recall her name) was an agent of the Pah Wraith rather than the Prophets (which explained all those times during the previous seasons when she'd been unable to connect with the Prophets). I did enjoy that.

But I simply found the entire Gul DuKat gets plastic surgery and becomes the Kai's lover plot thread ludicrious. I winced every time those two appeared on screen together. It was like something out of a bad daytime soap. That she never recognised him just seemed ridiculous to me. I thought it was such a lousy way to close a character - or two characters really as I always thought the Kai was a wonderfully complex character too - who'd been so strong in the show. It was like turning a good villain into a clown.

And I recall being really annoyed and upset about the whole Sisko leaves wife and child behind and who knows what happened to him, maybe he'll come back at some point...thing, too. I really hate when TPTB don't give us a happy ending for all the characters in a final episode. I know others disagree and some like to have a mix of angst and happiness, but when I've followed a group of people for seven or whatever seasons, I just like to leave knowing they're getting on happily with their lives.

Those were the two main things that I recall.

Albion
                                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X