Page 727 of 729 FirstFirst ... 227627677717724725726727728729 LastLast
Results 14,521 to 14,540 of 14578
  1. #14521
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26,939

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    To get any of those specific ads referred/blocked,we really need screencaps or urls if at all possible.

    I haven't seen anything called "O'yun.fu" (yet?) but I'm getting this ad for Netflix perpetually .Good thing there's an X button to close that one down,because it scrolls over the multiquote and covers the side of posts.Also no noise,unless I click for the blurb itself.

    Side ad for Netflix.March 17th 2020.JPG

    There's a very annoying one for a game site here too:

    Side ad for gaming site.March 17th 2020.JPG

    No way to switch it off that I can see,or way to block it via adblock plus.

    Oh and this one's back:

    Side ad back again.Leads on to Sonic game.March 17th 2020.JPG
    No way to shut that one either.

  2. #14522
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,855

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Piss off these side ads like "O'yun.fu" and "play this game" ads that cannot be closed or people will just either leave or put ad/script blockers on which will destroy the whole purpose of these ads.

    Revenue, traffic, or content. Make a choice.
    Visitors may be your ad driver, but the people who make your content worth viewing are getting jack of it.
    I hope you're seated comfortably, 'cause I agree with GF here.

    The only way this (or many other) site is usable is with blockers. Along with Firefox's native protections, I use uBlock Origin & NoScript, with the TLD (gateworld.net) and a few other domains this site loads whitelisted. I never see any ads.

    I won't even try to visit this site on my iPhone; Apple doesn't allow blocker extensions on Firefox in IOS, so I can't use them. And the site is unusable on that device.

    As I said a while back, this is a problem that the advertising industry has to address and resolve, or they're going to kill the business model.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  3. #14523
    Colonel ScifigirlSG's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,146

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    I just received an update for Phoenix Fan Fusion. Since I can't change the dates on the thread title, it would be appreciated if a mod could change the date to Sept 25-27, 2020. Thanks much !!

  4. #14524
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,855

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    No way to switch it off that I can see,or way to block it via adblock plus.

    Oh and this one's back:

    Side ad back again.Leads on to Sonic game.March 17th 2020.JPG
    No way to shut that one either.
    Adblock Plus is useless. Several years ago, they began accepting payments from advertisers to let ads from those advertisers though.... Which kinda defeats the purpose of an ad blocker.....

    I suggest uBlock Origin

    Note that this is not the original "uBlock" which was purchased by Ad Block Plus and subsequently crappified.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  5. #14525
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26,939

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
    I just received an update for Phoenix Fan Fusion. Since I can't change the dates on the thread title, it would be appreciated if a mod could change the date to Sept 25-27, 2020. Thanks much !!
    Edited the title,and thanks for the heads-up for anyone hoping to attend!

  6. #14526
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26,939

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Adblock Plus is useless. Several years ago, they began accepting payments from advertisers to let ads from those advertisers though.... Which kinda defeats the purpose of an ad blocker.....

    I suggest uBlock Origin

    Note that this is not the original "uBlock" which was purchased by Ad Block Plus and subsequently crappified.
    Normally I still use adblock+,but I've been switching to Ublock to get things done here when need be.

    Referred all this to Darren already,but he's very busy in rl and it takes a while to get through the to-do lists.

  7. #14527
    Major General planet_tv's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Writing Stargate Atlantis fan fiction.
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Would it be possible for this thread, https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...Submit-a-Theme, to be a sticky thread?


    Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

  8. #14528
    Major General Princess Awinita's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the galaxy with Ezra
    Posts
    11,207

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    On the subjhect of adblock plus, once they sold out to advertisiers to let "SOME" ads through, they stopped being an adblocker. Once that hapopened I started using uBlock Origin and havent seen an ad sneak in since. though as I have said the reason I use an adblocker like uBlock is because of incredibly bad experiences with malicious ads sneaking in virus and malware that have killed my computers more times then I care to count.

    This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete

    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

  9. #14529
    Colonel ScifigirlSG's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,146

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    I'm currently using Adblocker Ultimate from the Microsoft extensions

  10. #14530
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,855

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    On the subjhect of adblock plus, once they sold out to advertisiers to let "SOME" ads through, they stopped being an adblocker. Once that hapopened I started using uBlock Origin and havent seen an ad sneak in since. though as I have said the reason I use an adblocker like uBlock is because of incredibly bad experiences with malicious ads sneaking in virus and malware that have killed my computers more times then I care to count.
    ^--- Agree with you I do.

    For those interested, Firefox has a new native extension called "Facebook Container". Puports to put a leash on one of the more unsavory corners of the interwebs. So far, I haven't heard anything bad about it.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  11. #14531

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    I’ve been hesitant to say anything, due to the sad fact that in order to keep a website going, you need ad revenue. I wish there was another way. But, the fact is, in order to enjoy using the site, minus the forum, I have to use Firefox, and use a adblocker to block the video that even if you click the x, it will reload every single time. It blocks apart of the page, and is, let’s face it, annoying. It simply makes the website not fun to use. I avoid using the site often, except for checking the homepage for news and to go to the forum, simply because Firefox does not work natively on Mac. As in I cannot use gestures.

    Again, I understand the struggles on the other side, this is just giving user feedback. I also, don’t expect things to change quickly, if at all. I simply wanted to give my perspective. Take it as you will. I’m just thankful the site is here at all. Seriously, thanks to both moderators, and Darren for all you do.

  12. #14532
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,855

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssabraveheart View Post
    I’ve been hesitant to say anything, due to the sad fact that in order to keep a website going, you need ad revenue. I wish there was another way. But, the fact is, in order to enjoy using the site, minus the forum, I have to use Firefox, and use a adblocker to block the video that even if you click the x, it will reload every single time. It blocks apart of the page, and is, let’s face it, annoying. It simply makes the website not fun to use. I avoid using the site often, except for checking the homepage for news and to go to the forum, simply because Firefox does not work natively on Mac. As in I cannot use gestures.

    Again, I understand the struggles on the other side, this is just giving user feedback. I also, don’t expect things to change quickly, if at all. I simply wanted to give my perspective. Take it as you will. I’m just thankful the site is here at all. Seriously, thanks to both moderators, and Darren for all you do.
    I don't really expect it will ever change. Did the used car dealer ads ever become less annoying?
    It's the mentality of the type of people that go into advertising/marketing. "It can't be I'm trying to sell a crappy product that no one wants, so I'll irritate them. Maybe that will make 'em buy my crap.' That, and their constant optimism. They just can't accept that no one wants whatever it is they are selling.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  13. #14533
    Major General VampyreWraith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    12,841

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    At least that Little Ceasers ad seems to be gone (I haven't seen it in a couple of days). That ad would appear every page load and create a border around the forum and I couldn't click on things until it went away. The video ad is a little annoying sometimes, especially when you're trying to reply to something (or edit a reply), but at least it's small (most of the time) and quiet and can usually be closed if necessary.

  14. #14534
    Air Force Chief of Staff Alan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    38,668

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Hey all.

    I feel like I'm jumping right into the middle of what seems to have been a long conversation about ad-block usage here at GW. I don't know if this particular combination has been mentioned before but this is what I've been using - for a good couple of years now I've been accessing GW via Google Chrome and I use a combination of the browser add-ons Ad-Block Plus and uBlock Origin and am very pleased to say that I have not been bothered by a single advert or pop-up in the slightest.

    I don't know if any of that is of any practical use or help to anyone but I just wanted to share my own personal GW experience.

    Stay safe everyone. Take care.
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, CLASS and much more...

  15. #14535
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,855

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Hey all.

    I feel like I'm jumping right into the middle of what seems to have been a long conversation about ad-block usage here at GW. I don't know if this particular combination has been mentioned before but this is what I've been using - for a good couple of years now I've been accessing GW via Google Chrome and I use a combination of the browser add-ons Ad-Block Plus and uBlock Origin and am very pleased to say that I have not been bothered by a single advert or pop-up in the slightest.

    I don't know if any of that is of any practical use or help to anyone but I just wanted to share my own personal GW experience.

    Stay safe everyone. Take care.
    Ad-Block Plus and uBlock (which has been purchased by Ad-Block) are useless. They take payments from advertisers to let those advertiser's ad through. uBlock Origin alone will do the same for you, and without having deceitful software such as ad-block plus loaded and consuming resources.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  16. #14536
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26,939

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by planet_tv View Post
    Would it be possible for this thread, https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...Submit-a-Theme, to be a sticky thread?
    Done,and locked so it stays on-point.

    I've listed the themes already done to save anyone having to trawl through the threads to see if we already covered a specific show or idea.

  17. #14537
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26,939

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Referred all this to Darren already,but he's very busy in rl and it takes a while to get through the to-do lists.
    Update:
    Thank you for your patience,everyone.I've sent several more new caps to the webmaster e-mail address.

    Let's now see what Darren says when he gets the chance to read through all this.

  18. #14538
    Colonel ScifigirlSG's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,146

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Thanks for the list of previous themes. Goes back several years.

  19. #14539
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,498

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    I can't screencap this issue, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with the "buttons" for things like top and inbox?
    Recently whenever I hit those buttons the screen immediately drops to the bottom rather than going where directed. Anyone else having this issue?
    Cheers!
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  20. #14540
    Air Force Chief of Staff Alan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    38,668

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I can't screencap this issue, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with the "buttons" for things like top and inbox?
    Recently whenever I hit those buttons the screen immediately drops to the bottom rather than going where directed. Anyone else having this issue?
    Cheers!
    Hi mods,

    I haven't had the issues Gatefan is describing about but want to quote it as I don't want you to miss the question because of my post about something I've noticed which is really only a minor thing by comparison. What I have noticed is that the GW clock seems to be falling ever so slightly behind the Microsoft clock and I just wanted to let you guys know early so you can keep an eye on it just in case it starts to fall further behind as it has done before.

    Thanks guys!
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, CLASS and much more...

Page 727 of 729 FirstFirst ... 227627677717724725726727728729 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •