Page 1 of 721 12341151101501 ... LastLast

GateWorld Ask the Moderators

Have a question for the moderators or owner of GateWorld Forum? Here's your chance to get that elusive answer!

There are three rules for this thread specifically:

1) We see a lot of repeated questions, so before you ask check the FAQ (link at the top of every page), do a search, and quickly peruse the last few days' worth of posts here in the 'Ask the Mods' thread. At least 50 percent of the time, you'll find the answer.

2) No conversation in this thread. The thread is for people to ask the mods questions, and to get quick (and hopefully helpful) answers. Commentary, suggestions, and chatter are welcome -- but in a different thread, please. From now on we will be strictly enforcing this; posts that go beyond questions and the mods' answers, unless they particularly contribute something helpful to the exchange, will be deleted.

3) From now on, leave the answering in this one thread to the mods. That means that if you're asking a question, it ought to be something that only the mods can answer. For everything else, look for another thread in this folder where your fellow forum members can help. (That may be a better place to ask, and a better way to get a quick answer, since most questions about the forum and how things work shouldn't require mod attention, specifically.)

4) This thread is also not for requests for action. It's not the place to ask for threads to be merged or for titles to be changed. The Report Post feature is there for that purpose.

This is a continuation of a previous thread. Check it out for lots of fascinating questions and their obtuse answers.

The Mods
    Last edited by Skydiver; March 19th, 2007 at 05:57 AM.

Question Re: Ask the Moderators

You guys have any plans of adding this to the Pre-Defined avatars? Because if you did I wouldn't be very happy. I plan to put that as my custom avatar when I hit 1801 posts because it has to do with my name (as seen with my rotating sig).

Default Re: Ask the Moderators

Nope, no plans that I know of. Would you rather it be publically available to all?

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Omaha, Nebraska, USA, Earth, Solar, Milkway

I have a very good question

When are you going to tell me why exactly I am on restriction, Saying I ambushed some with a PM is kind of general. I was PMing people left and right at the time. And why don't you punish the people that started calling me names (in rep comments) I have a screen shot if you want proof or you could just go into the Admin panel and look for yourself

Okay, possibly dumb question, but . . . I'm planning on making a sig with Teyla and Ronon in it, with the caption of . . . "Don't let appearances decieve you, this is an Amazonian Women and her B*tch."

Please tell me that's not *too* inappropriate. I don't want to be dinged on that later on.
    http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/6890/j4de5px.png
    Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
    I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
    Spoiler:
    Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

how about

this is an amazon and her lap dog? or something less offensive than the B word

even still, you may want to consider the fact that ronon fans may not be too fond of having him seen that way

your choice, but you may wish to consider the other side before you adopt it

Exclamation Re: Ask the Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Nope, no plans that I know of. Would you rather it be publically available to all?
    No, Just to me. The Pyramid blowing up is from Full Circle, just like my name, which Anubis said before Daniel tried to stop him from Destroying Abydos and failed. The Blowing up pyramid is unique to the episode and my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    how about

this is an amazon and her lap dog? or something less offensive than the B word

even still, you may want to consider the fact that ronon fans may not be too fond of having him seen that way

your choice, but you may wish to consider the other side before you adopt it
    Okay, see . . . I figured as much. That's why I asked.

And, ShadowMaat, yeah, my grammer sucks. Always has. Thanks for pointing it out.
    http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/6890/j4de5px.png
    Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
    I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
    Spoiler:
    Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

Col. Newman,

As you probably know, the mods do not discuss the moderation of individuals in public. I can dig up the specific PM that was reported to me if you really have a question about it.

Are post in this section not counted as it was before?

It would only be acceptable if the word that the forum bleeps is self-bleeped to a sufficient degree. "B****" is acceptable; "B*tch" is seen as trying to circumvent the profanity filter.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler84
    Okay, possibly dumb question, but . . . I'm planning on making a sig with Teyla and Ronon in it, with the caption of . . . "Don't let appearances decieve you, this is an Amazonian Women and her B*tch."

Please tell me that's not *too* inappropriate. I don't want to be dinged on that later on.

Quote Originally Posted by greytop
    Are post in this section not counted as it was before?
    Posts in this section are counted. After the folder restructure is finished, all posts will go toward your post count except those in the Off-Topic Chatter and Testing Ground folders.

for me to know.. and for you to find out.

just gotta say thx Darren and the rest of the mods for giving' us RPers our fourm.

(i go to work... get home... go to GW... see a whole new look... well not new but improved.)

why are the custom avs set at 65x60 and the personal avs are set at the 100x100.. not sure if anyone has actually asked that or not... but if it has... sorry.

Could I make a request for two threads to be merged?

Roleplaying Section and Role-Playing: Rules, Regs, and Information to be renamed:

Role-playing: FAQs\Information\Signup

And put in the roleplaying section of course.
    Thanks in advanced.

can i ask why several of my thread have disappeared, one fromA2, one from S9, 1 from OT and another from GD so i dont see how it could be a glitch, was the content hazerdous or something???

You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

If you can tell us the name of each thread we'll see if we can locate them. Were they all threads you started yourself?

Madeleine

thats it i cant remember them, there was one about GW messing up on spoiler is know that, but there not in my thread history so i cant check! qasim posted in one i know that, ill check his post history....

You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Omaha, Nebraska, USA, Earth, Solar, Milkway

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Col. Newman,

As you probably know, the mods do not discuss the moderation of individuals in public. I can dig up the specific PM that was reported to me if you really have a question about it.
    Yeah I would appreciate that I would have just PMed you but I can't use PM because I am on restriction

Restriction is just so lovely I can't even change my sig or edit my profile. :rolleyes

Lieutenant Colonel Colonel Sharp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy Blue
    Could I make a request for two threads to be merged?

Roleplaying Section and Role-Playing: Rules, Regs, and Information to be renamed:

Role-playing: FAQs\Information\Signup

And put in the roleplaying section of course.
    Thanks in advanced.
    Yeah, er, about that, I think that was a good choice but I have a post on page 19 (The long one with all the info) that should be the first post of the topic, if there's anyway to do that it would be greatly appreciated

I'd like to ask about one of the forum rules,

Respect Stargate actors and production crew members. This falls under the previous rule -- but it's important to remember that we owe the show's cast and crew at least as much respect as we owe our fellow fans. Criticizing creative decisions is fine; cutting down the people that make the show is not.
    These people take time out of their day to read and participate here, and it's our job to make sure they aren't met with personal attacks because of their creative decisions -- or even drowned with questions and personal requests.
    With regards to the actors, I'm driven to wonder why?

This is a discussion board for a weekly presented work of fiction. I think it goes without saying that one of the most integral and important elements of that presentation is the ability of the actor to present the role they have. Stiff, wooden, and otherwise poor deliveries massively detract from the show as a whole and indeed completely break the suspension of disbelief required to fully enjoy the show.

I'm having a little trouble understanding why it's fine and dandy to ruthlessly attack characters and episodes (which are an indirect, though no less harsh attack on the writers), but we aren't allowed to criticize acting ability.

Not trying to be an arse or anything, but it seems like the words "acting ability" fly a red flag for moderator deletion as soon as they're posted and I'm honestly baffled as to why. If one of, if not the largest Stargate community discussion boards online cannot be free to be discuss being unhappy with certain elements of the show, how are we supposed to express our discontent?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life