Page 734 of 734 FirstFirst ... 234634684724731732733734
Results 14,661 to 14,680 of 14680

Default Re: Ask the Moderators

hi, there's something I wish to report to you

Earlier I got an error 502 could not get to the forum at all, now as I can get back, posts I already saw yesterday are marked as unread again. Else everything seems well so far

And thanks fore the wishes Baggie, better late than never

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Just a general heads up to folks, there will be an upgrade of the forum software - hopefully later this week. The exact date and time is unknown.

But should you experience a sudden ‘it won’t work’ or the like within the next week or two that is probably it.

Hopefully this will address the 502 errors and other things.

ALso, there is a very good chance that the forum will roll back to the VB default layout and design. For those that don’t realize, there is a ton of customization that goes on behind the scenes, so it may take Darren a bit to get the furniture back where it was before so your patience is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    Just a general heads up to folks, there will be an upgrade of the forum software - hopefully later this week. The exact date and time is unknown.

But should you experience a sudden ‘it won’t work’ or the like within the next week or two that is probably it.

ALso, there is a very good chance that the forum will roll back to the VB default layout and design. For those that don’t realize, there is a ton of customization that goes on behind the scenes, so it may take Darren a bit to get the furniture back where it was before so your patience is greatly appreciated.
    That's good to know, thanks for the info, Sky

When you know what's going on it's no problem being patient, at least for me

I'm ready for an update.

I do have a question about the software upgrade. Does this mean that avatars may or may not retain the 150x150 dimensions they currently have after the upgrade?

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

No idea right now.I'd hold off on editing or resizing your avs till we find out how vb5 affects the forum features and customisations!

See thread: GateWorld Forum Software Upgrade!

Yeah, I read the thread this morning. I came back this afternoon and couldn't get on, so I thought you were updating. I am back now, and apparently you were not updating earlier.
    Does anybody have a time-frame (ballpark type thing) to give us an idea of when we can expect disruptions?

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

No timeframe yet.

I think we're still hitting server glitches so that might be why you couldn't log in,and I couldn't get in to reply till now.

If all goes well,Greg will take the forums offline at some point in the next few days,and we might have a system message show on the page that may or may not give a guesstimate of when everything will be completed.

Baggie.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post

YAY!! For software upgrade!!!

will we now be able to post things like videos and pics directly into a post? here's to hope!

Second Lieutenant

awhile back i commented on how the episode by episode posting set up was a bit vague

what i mean

oh..never mind, i have no idea how to post a screen shot here

i'll describe-- on forum home page on right side under 'newest threads'

i see today 'prior criminal history' "ep 202"

ok,,, but of WHAT show?

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magi877 View Post
    will we now be able to post things like videos and pics directly into a post? here's to hope!
    You can already do that... encapsulating the links for video's in the video-tag will post the clip directly into your post. See the "What music are you listening to?"-thread in off-topic.

However, it should be noted that it's murder on anyone with a slower or spotty internet connection -- and yes, those do still exist.

Images can be posted to... see below:
    BB-8.png
    (from My Computer @ work)
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

I hope the upgrade doesn't stop us.........

Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    LOL! Love it!
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

The First One (Moderator) Darren's Avatar

Thanks for your questions and your excitement about the upgrade, everyone! Greg and I are beating down the gremlins right now (and let me tell you, that man is a Wizard. We're talking Gandalf the Gray facing down a Balrog).

Time table: We are planning to roll out everything to you here next week.

Avatars: I am attempting to preserve the 150x150 avatar standard, or perhaps nudge it up a bit to 160x160. Infuriatingly, vBulletin in its wisdom has opted to hard-code avatars to 64x64 (because it's 2003, apparently) and not offer their customers easy options to resize. So I am working on this problem over the weekend.

Thread Titles: I know that when we add a new episode thread for a currently airing show into its folder, that gets linked across the forum (including the home page) in a way that obscures what show it's for. I'm thinking about ways I might improve the user experience here, but I hesitate to add the show title to every thread title. They're really meant for eyes that have navigated into that show's season folders. But I'm open to ideas!

After the rollout we'll take your bug reports, change requests, questions, and fawning praise here:

https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...ftware-Upgrade!

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Thanks for your questions and your excitement about the upgrade, everyone! Greg and I are beating down the gremlins right now (and let me tell you, that man is a Wizard. We're talking Gandalf the Gray facing down a Balrog).

Time table: We are planning to roll out everything to you here next week.

Avatars: I am attempting to preserve the 150x150 avatar standard, or perhaps nudge it up a bit to 160x160. Infuriatingly, vBulletin in its wisdom has opted to hard-code avatars to 64x64 (because it's 2003, apparently) and not offer their customers easy options to resize. So I am working on this problem over the weekend.

Thread Titles: I know that when we add a new episode thread for a currently airing show into its folder, that gets linked across the forum (including the home page) in a way that obscures what show it's for. I'm thinking about ways I might improve the user experience here, but I hesitate to add the show title to every thread title. They're really meant for eyes that have navigated into that show's season folders. But I'm open to ideas!

After the rollout we'll take your bug reports, change requests, questions, and fawning praise here:

https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...ftware-Upgrade!
    Thank you for the update, looking forward to it

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    You can already do that... encapsulating the links for video's in the video-tag will post the clip directly into your post. See the "What music are you listening to?"-thread in off-topic.

However, it should be noted that it's murder on anyone with a slower or spotty internet connection -- and yes, those do still exist.

Images can be posted to... see below:
    BB-8.png
    (from My Computer @ work)
    ok.. but thats several steps.. in other forums xenforo based. i can copy a pic or video link and paste it straight in without using the 'post a video" link

its a smooth 'click,copy,paste'

its ok, though,, just a question- thanks

Second Lieutenant

awhile back i commented on how the episode by episode posting set up was a bit vague

what i mean

oh..never mind, i have no idea how to post a screen shot here

i'll describe-- on forum home page on right side under 'newest threads'

i see today 'prior criminal history' "ep 202"

ok,,, but of WHAT show?
    idk if was part of the upgrade or my post here, but thanks.. today i see under "new threads" actual show titles and ep numbers!!! super cool ex: wandavision episode #

ok.. but thats several steps.. in other forums xenforo based. i can copy a pic or video link and paste it straight in without using the 'post a video" link

its a smooth 'click,copy,paste'

its ok, though,, just a question- thanks
    Oh... mmm... I can see why that would be far more interesting.

Xenforo is a system Magi and I are both very familiar with. It is a very good system for running a forum.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Page 734 of 734 FirstFirst ... 234634684724731732733734