This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
    Would it be possible for this thread, https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...Submit-a-Theme, to be a sticky thread?
    Done,and locked so it stays on-point.

I've listed the themes already done to save anyone having to trawl through the threads to see if we already covered a specific show or idea.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Referred all this to Darren already,but he's very busy in rl and it takes a while to get through the to-do lists.
      Update:
      Thank you for your patience,everyone.I've sent several more new caps to the webmaster e-mail address.

Let's now see what Darren says when he gets the chance to read through all this.

Comment

Thanks for the list of previous themes. Goes back several years.

Comment

I can't screencap this issue, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with the "buttons" for things like top and inbox?
          Recently whenever I hit those buttons the screen immediately drops to the bottom rather than going where directed. Anyone else having this issue?
          Cheers!
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            I can't screencap this issue, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with the "buttons" for things like top and inbox?
            Recently whenever I hit those buttons the screen immediately drops to the bottom rather than going where directed. Anyone else having this issue?
            Cheers!
            Hi mods,

I haven't had the issues Gatefan is describing about but want to quote it as I don't want you to miss the question because of my post about something I've noticed which is really only a minor thing by comparison. What I have noticed is that the GW clock seems to be falling ever so slightly behind the Microsoft clock and I just wanted to let you guys know early so you can keep an eye on it just in case it starts to fall further behind as it has done before.

Thanks guys!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              Hi mods,

I haven't had the issues Gatefan is describing about but want to quote it as I don't want you to miss the question because of my post about something I've noticed which is really only a minor thing by comparison. What I have noticed is that the GW clock seems to be falling ever so slightly behind the Microsoft clock and I just wanted to let you guys know early so you can keep an eye on it just in case it starts to fall further behind as it has done before.

Thanks guys!
              What do you mean by "Microsoft clock"? The time on your windows machine?

Windows syncs itself to NTP time servers operated by microsoft. However, there are many NTP servers you can choose to sync to in Windows' clock settings. There are a few options offered, but you can also manually enter whatever you want. For example, I operate an NTP server as part of my head end machine, and all computers in the house sync to that.

Comment

Cheers!
                Nobody else reported this yet.Is this still happening?
                Have you checked through your Chrome/Firefox settings etc for the latest updates?

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                Hi mods,

Thanks guys!
                Ty,Alan!

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                What do you mean by "Microsoft clock"? The time on your windows machine?

Windows syncs itself to NTP time servers operated by microsoft. However, there are many NTP servers you can choose to sync to in Windows' clock settings. There are a few options offered, but you can also manually enter whatever you want. For example, I operate an NTP server as part of my head end machine, and all computers in the house sync to that.
                He's referring to the time displayed on the Forum.It sometimes needs to be reset by our SysAdmin once it lags beyond a minute or two.

Comment

Have you checked through your Chrome/Firefox settings etc for the latest updates?

Ty,Alan!

He's referring to the time displayed on the Forum.It sometimes needs to be reset by our SysAdmin once it lags beyond a minute or two.
                  Ah, then maybe the machine the board runs on needs new NTP servers.

Comment

Actually, it happened after the latest updates
                    As of me getting home from work, it has stopped, so if Greg did anything on the back end, it worked

EDIT ( two hours later): just tripped again. I have no clue what it is causing it. Annoyed might well be right in it being a timing issue, or possibly even a load issue (I don't know enough to say) I may have played with net since it was born (when it was a university ANSI system), but I know jack crap about the "back end" aspects, and nor will I pretend to know about them. I mean, I did some back end BASIC programming back in the day, but programming is nothing like that now, there is no comparison anymore.
                    Last edited by Gatefan1976; 08 April 2020, 04:52 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Cheers!
                      Actually, it happened after the latest updates
                      As of me getting home from work, it has stopped, so if Greg did anything on the back end, it worked

EDIT ( two hours later): just tripped again. I have no clue what it is causing it. Annoyed might well be right in it being a timing issue, or possibly even a load issue (I don't know enough to say) I may have played with net since it was born (when it was a university ANSI system), but I know jack crap about the "back end" aspects, and nor will I pretend to know about them. I mean, I did some back end BASIC programming back in the day, but programming is nothing like that now, there is no comparison anymore.
                      Nothing here should be blocking the buttons,or slamming you down the page when you try to use the top or other control buttons.The last time I had something similar happen,it was because an ad was trying to load past my adblocker and it skewed everything for a while.

I've sent the details you posted to Darren and Sky to see if they can advise on a way to fix this, or to refer it to Greg.

Tests to try out while you wait:
                      Click if you can on any notifications for messages.

Option 2:
                      go into your control panel and general settings -> switch on Pm notifications where it says "Email Notification of New Private Messages: Receive Email Notification of new Private Messages" - save -> send yourself a pm -> find the link in the e-mail when it arrives - click it and you should then be taken directly to your PM Inbox.
                      (Keep the notification and delete the extra pms.)

Hopefully there won't be any need for you to have to do all that!

Comment

Sounds like the sort of error that might be caused by a script failing to load properly. This is usually browser-specific, and often caused by browser extensions or other such gremlins.

I'd recommend that you open an Incognito tab (or whatever it might be called in your browser if you don't use Chrome) and login to the forum there. This will run a default instance of your browser without any extensions. If the problem goes away, you can test your extensions by disabling them one at a time and reloading the forum page (in your normal tab).

If the problem persists in an Incognito window, try a different browser. If it happens in a different browser ... then we might have a vBulletin problem on our hands! Report back, if you would be so kind, as to what browser(s) you are using and anything you discover.

Thanks!

~Darren

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                          Sounds like the sort of error that might be caused by a script failing to load properly. This is usually browser-specific, and often caused by browser extensions or other such gremlins.

I'd recommend that you open an Incognito tab (or whatever it might be called in your browser if you don't use Chrome) and login to the forum there. This will run a default instance of your browser without any extensions. If the problem goes away, you can test your extensions by disabling them one at a time and reloading the forum page (in your normal tab).

If the problem persists in an Incognito window, try a different browser. If it happens in a different browser ... then we might have a vBulletin problem on our hands! Report back, if you would be so kind, as to what browser(s) you are using and anything you discover.

Thanks!

~Darren
                          Thanks Darren!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, I do not know if this is a matter you can help me with but I thought I would let you know here anyway.

I had no PC and tried to log in here on my tablet. Despite being able to log in to all other sites, Safari each time would produce an "incorrect password" fail. I even had the forum send me a new one because I thought I had forgotten mine somehow but even with the new PW the same error happened. I went through all Safari's settings that could have caused that thing, but neither thing I changed would make a difference..I also tried Chrome but there it was the same, sadly

Back on a PC and Chrome, login in worked at the first try

Just wanted to let you know about that, it's nice t be back again
                            Last edited by DarkenLycht; 21 April 2020, 09:46 AM. Reason: corrected spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                              Well, I do not know if this is a matter you can help me with but I thought I would let you know here anyway.

I had no PC and tried to log in here on my tablet. Despite being able to look in to all other sites, Safari each time would produce an "incorrect password" fail. I even had the forum send me a new one because I thought I had forgotten mine somehow but even with the new PW the same error happened. I went through all Safari's settings that could have caused that thing, but neither thing I changed would make a difference..I also tried Chrome but there it was the same, sadly

Back on a PC and Chrome, login in worked at the first try

Just wanted to let you know about that, it's nice t be back again
                              i know this doesn't help you, but maybe help mods figure it out?? idk

but when i first signed up i had google (on chrome) save my user and pass as i do for every site i go to

GW would not let me in although i checked keep me signed in ,etc

i came tithe site and tried signing in manually.. no luck

even now, the only way i can get in is by using a saved 2yr old notification email from Gw, and clicking the link to here in that email

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                                i know this doesn't help you, but maybe help mods figure it out?? idk

but when i first signed up i had google (on chrome) save my user and pass as i do for every site i go to

GW would not let me in although i checked keep me signed in ,etc

i came tithe site and tried signing in manually.. no luck

even now, the only way i can get in is by using a saved 2yr old notification email from Gw, and clicking the link to here in that email
                                You running any ad blocking or script blocking extensions? You have to allow some things for niceties to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X