Page 731 of 731 FirstFirst ... 231631681721728729730731
Results 14,601 to 14,609 of 14609
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Ask the Moderators

Gatefan: could have been a browser hijacking attempt or someone trying to hack Telstra users.
    So far,none of those has been tracked down to an ad on here,but there's always a first time for everything.
    If you run malwarebytes or a similar programme,it will pick up anything your normal security missed if this happens again.

Platschu:
    Can you give me a link or two to thread pages where you've had this happen,and the number of the error code if possible?
    If you need anything restored or sent to you,and the posts weren't eaten by the forum or your phone browser glitches,that won't be a problem.

It wasn't an ad baggie, it was a automatic redirect from GW to that site. A few days later it was on the news that there was a recent flood of phishing scams, mostly targeted at utilities such as Telstra. I was passing it on because GW was the only site where it happened. Has not happened again, so looks like it was a short attack, if that's what it was.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

I was going through a saved session with Session Buddy, a Chrome extension, I had on Gateworld posts to edit to X out the ones I did and AVG secured this threat. I just thought Darren and the mods would want to know about it.

HappenedOnGateWorld1.JPG

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    It wasn't an ad baggie, it was a automatic redirect from GW to that site. A few days later it was on the news that there was a recent flood of phishing scams, mostly targeted at utilities such as Telstra. I was passing it on because GW was the only site where it happened. Has not happened again, so looks like it was a short attack, if that's what it was.
    Still nothing?
    Looks like your comp security firewalls and GW's have locked it out or they got blacklisted.

Quote Originally Posted by planet_tv View Post
    I was going through a saved session with Session Buddy, a Chrome extension, I had on Gateworld posts to edit to X out the ones I did and AVG secured this threat. I just thought Darren and the mods would want to know about it.

HappenedOnGateWorld1.JPG
    Passed this on to Darren.
    In the meantime,have you filed a ticket/complaint with Chrome Help?
    If there are holes in that app's security or anything trying to hack into hugedomains,they'll need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Passed this on to Darren.
    In the meantime,have you filed a ticket/complaint with Chrome Help?
    If there are holes in that app's security or anything trying to hack into hugedomains,they'll need to know.
    No, but I could probably make a post in Google Chrome Help Community.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Go for it!

Thanks for the report(s). On the whole we have much fewer problems with bad actors slipping into the ad system since we switched over to Playwire in 2018. However they do still fall back on things like Google Adsense from time to time, and those large suppliers do not have the same strict standards of enforcement.

The result is that these can be very tricky to track down if and when they do make it into rotation. Ads are usually geo-targeted, so someone outside your country or region isn't likely to see what you see.

The best way to help us track and eliminate bad actors is, if it's all possible, start screen-capturing everything. Ideally the ad itself, but also the page it takes you to (including the URL at the top of your browser). Send these to me at webmaster -at gateworld.net #dot#net, and I can investigate and consider sending it up the chain to our ad company. (They want to find and eliminate bad actors from their service as much as we do!)

Thanks!

~Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Still nothing?
    Looks like your comp security firewalls and GW's have locked it out or they got blacklisted.
    Still nothing
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

That's good to know!

Page 731 of 731 FirstFirst ... 231631681721728729730731