Page 731 of 732 FirstFirst ... 231631681721728729730731732 LastLast
Results 14,601 to 14,620 of 14633
  1. #14601
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26,987

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Gatefan: could have been a browser hijacking attempt or someone trying to hack Telstra users.
    So far,none of those has been tracked down to an ad on here,but there's always a first time for everything.
    If you run malwarebytes or a similar programme,it will pick up anything your normal security missed if this happens again.


    Platschu:
    Can you give me a link or two to thread pages where you've had this happen,and the number of the error code if possible?
    If you need anything restored or sent to you,and the posts weren't eaten by the forum or your phone browser glitches,that won't be a problem.

  2. #14602
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,594

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    It wasn't an ad baggie, it was a automatic redirect from GW to that site. A few days later it was on the news that there was a recent flood of phishing scams, mostly targeted at utilities such as Telstra. I was passing it on because GW was the only site where it happened. Has not happened again, so looks like it was a short attack, if that's what it was.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  3. #14603
    Major General planet_tv's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Writing Stargate Atlantis fan fiction.
    Posts
    13,046

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    I was going through a saved session with Session Buddy, a Chrome extension, I had on Gateworld posts to edit to X out the ones I did and AVG secured this threat. I just thought Darren and the mods would want to know about it.

    HappenedOnGateWorld1.JPG


    Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

  4. #14604
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26,987

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    It wasn't an ad baggie, it was a automatic redirect from GW to that site. A few days later it was on the news that there was a recent flood of phishing scams, mostly targeted at utilities such as Telstra. I was passing it on because GW was the only site where it happened. Has not happened again, so looks like it was a short attack, if that's what it was.
    Still nothing?
    Looks like your comp security firewalls and GW's have locked it out or they got blacklisted.


    Quote Originally Posted by planet_tv View Post
    I was going through a saved session with Session Buddy, a Chrome extension, I had on Gateworld posts to edit to X out the ones I did and AVG secured this threat. I just thought Darren and the mods would want to know about it.

    HappenedOnGateWorld1.JPG
    Passed this on to Darren.
    In the meantime,have you filed a ticket/complaint with Chrome Help?
    If there are holes in that app's security or anything trying to hack into hugedomains,they'll need to know.

  5. #14605
    Major General planet_tv's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Writing Stargate Atlantis fan fiction.
    Posts
    13,046

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Passed this on to Darren.
    In the meantime,have you filed a ticket/complaint with Chrome Help?
    If there are holes in that app's security or anything trying to hack into hugedomains,they'll need to know.
    No, but I could probably make a post in Google Chrome Help Community.


    Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

  6. #14606
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26,987

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Go for it!

  7. #14607
    Site Admin GateWorld's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,121

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Thanks for the report(s). On the whole we have much fewer problems with bad actors slipping into the ad system since we switched over to Playwire in 2018. However they do still fall back on things like Google Adsense from time to time, and those large suppliers do not have the same strict standards of enforcement.

    The result is that these can be very tricky to track down if and when they do make it into rotation. Ads are usually geo-targeted, so someone outside your country or region isn't likely to see what you see.

    The best way to help us track and eliminate bad actors is, if it's all possible, start screen-capturing everything. Ideally the ad itself, but also the page it takes you to (including the URL at the top of your browser). Send these to me at webmaster -at gateworld.net #dot#net, and I can investigate and consider sending it up the chain to our ad company. (They want to find and eliminate bad actors from their service as much as we do!)

    Thanks!

    ~Darren

  8. #14608
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,594

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Still nothing?
    Looks like your comp security firewalls and GW's have locked it out or they got blacklisted.
    Still nothing
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  9. #14609
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26,987

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    That's good to know!

  10. #14610
    Probie
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Is there a thread where people post screenshots of certain eps?
    I'm looking for a larger size pic and can't find it through google.John and Rodney.jpg

  11. #14611
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,349

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Kdvb1 View Post
    Is there a thread where people post screenshots of certain eps?
    I'm looking for a larger size pic and can't find it through google.
    I don't think such a thread exists, not specific for screencaptures anyway, though I'm sure you could find that shot in a McKay/Sheppard thread if you like digging for it.

    HOWEVER... I have a much simpler solution for you.

    Gateworld's episode database also contains screencaptures so perhaps you may find a larger option right there --> I guessed it's a shot from the season 3 Atlantis episode The Game.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  12. #14612
    Staff Sergeant Jay Halstead's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I don't think such a thread exists, not specific for screencaptures anyway, though I'm sure you could find that shot in a McKay/Sheppard thread if you like digging for it.

    HOWEVER... I have a much simpler solution for you.

    Gateworld's episode database also contains screencaptures so perhaps you may find a larger option right there --> I guessed it's a shot from the season 3 Atlantis episode The Game.
    I have the Atlantis 1-5 boxset, so can offer to do caps if Kdvb1 can't find what he/she/they are looking for. Just as a side note.

    Anyway, I noticed that some people have different avs that aren't in the gallery, are we able to change our avators to ones that aren't in the gallery. Or do I need a higher post count before I can.

  13. #14613
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,349

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Halstead View Post
    Anyway, I noticed that some people have different avs that aren't in the gallery, are we able to change our avators to ones that aren't in the gallery. Or do I need a higher post count before I can.
    Yes, that comes with postcount which when Stargate was still an active fandom, as opposed to the dorment one now, was really easy (relatively speaking) to reach.

    The exact number is a well-guarded secret, but it should be around 2000 posts or something.
    Also, posts in Off-topic don't get counted.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  14. #14614
    Staff Sergeant Jay Halstead's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Yes, that comes with postcount which when Stargate was still an active fandom, as opposed to the dorment one now, was really easy (relatively speaking) to reach.

    The exact number is a well-guarded secret, but it should be around 2000 posts or something.
    Also, posts in Off-topic don't get counted.
    Ah, okay. I figured it was something like that, no worries. Maybe I'll get there, maybe I won't. For now I'm happy with Major Lorne.

    Yeah, it's a shame there isn't more of Stargate, I would have loved at least another couple seasons of Atlantis. But anyway, cheers for the answer.

  15. #14615
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,349

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    You're welcome.

    Always happy to be of service.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  16. #14616
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,594

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    FH is a door on the heart of gold
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  17. #14617
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,349

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    I'll be sighing behind my mask...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  18. #14618
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,594

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    You have never read or watched HHGTTG?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  19. #14619
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,349

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    You have never read or watched HHGTTG?
    I have -- I know of the sighing doors, on the Heart of Gold. Marvin rules!

    I watched it and currently am reading it. The book is just hilariously bizar.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  20. #14620
    Staff Sergeant Jay Halstead's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Ask the Moderators

    I was sure I'd asked this awhile ago, but when searching this thread back I couldn't see anything, so perhaps I imagined it. Anyway, I was wondering if it's possible to merge accounts. When I registered this account I completely forgot at the time that I'd previously been registered here under a different name, but then when looking around the board I found my old account. I've since changed emails since creating that old account and can't remember what email I even used and no longer use. Anyway I was wondering if it were possible to merge this account with my old one - which is Nikki Alexander - but keep this username.

    I'm really sorry, and I'm pretty sure I've broken one of the board rules, and it's something I don't usually do, but I geuninely had forgotten I already had an account here when I created this one. Hopefully I don't get banned from here or anything.

Page 731 of 732 FirstFirst ... 231631681721728729730731732 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •