Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the frenzy over `Farscape'?

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/t...,2195502.story

What inspires fans' extreme commitment to "Farscape"? After all, even some sci-fi aficionados don't get it.

"Ben Browder and [female lead] Claudia Black are terrific," "Stargate SG-1" executive producer Brad Wright said in an e-mail. "The show itself was always a mystery to me. I didn't get it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance because I couldn't get past the muppet."

Actually, there are two puppets on the show -- Rygel, a small, voracious alien who is the deposed "dominar" of an outer-space empire, and Pilot, a multiarmed creature who is biologically connected to Moya.

Who's Moya, you ask? She's the living space ship on which American astronaut John Crichton (Browder) lives -- with a few escaped prisoners he ran into when his ship accidentally got sucked into a wormhole that deposited him in a strange and dicey part of outer space.........
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

sometimes the storyline was rather hard to follow, but i loved it. i thought crichton was hilarious, and browder was the perfect choice to fill in the gap of RDA (though no one could ever replace him)

Comment

"The show itself was always a mystery to me. I didn't get it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance because I couldn't get past the muppet."
      I think I remember reading that Brad Wright didn't get Firefly either. But I do think his comment is a common one. I know when I've tried to rec the show to people they're always saying "But...there's muppets!!" I keep trying to tell them to just stick with it, that the puppets have wonderful depth and storylines of their own and that they will make you cry. Only a couple have ever listened to me though. I need new friends.

Comment

I didn't get the chance to see every episode all the way through and I was a little wierded out after the first few episodes, even though I still liked it and missed the whole arc with scorpio whatshisname, but after seeing several episodes in the scifi marathon I loved the show. I always loved the characters.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
          sometimes the storyline was rather hard to follow, but i loved it.
          I think that's pretty much why Farscape's ratings weren't that high, and always lost to SG-1
          sigpic

Comment

Farscape did a great job in terms of building ratings and in terms of a accessible stories in the first two seasons. Season 3 got a bit dense, but the action was so fantastic I didn't really notice.

By Season 4, though, it did start to wear.

Comment

Bahahahaha, Muppets. That thing was freaky. I stumbled by pure accident upon some scene with a muppet and someone painted blue. I tried to get into it, I did...it never hooked me...
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I watched quite a bit of Farscape, and whilst never 'getting into it', it's one of those shows that sucked me in enough to watch it. I dunno why, but I liked it.

On the other hand I caught alot of epsiode of Andromeda and, try as I might, I just couldn't work out what the hell was going on. Honestly, it's one of the few SF shows that I haven't got a scooby about....I tried though.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                  I watched quite a bit of Farscape, and whilst never 'getting into it', it's one of those shows that sucked me in enough to watch it. I dunno why, but I liked it.

On the other hand I caught alot of epsiode of Andromeda and, try as I might, I just couldn't work out what the hell was going on. Honestly, it's one of the few SF shows that I haven't got a scooby about....I tried though.
                  That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it. When the show first premiered I was a little wary but I watched, thought it was wierd but couldn't stop watching even though my roomate thoght both I and farscape was wierd.

I just couldn't get Andromeda either. I watched too many episodes to still not have a clue. So I decided either I or the show was stupid and since I'm still here and it's not.... I guess I won.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria

I liked Farscape, and was very dedicated for a while. However, for the life of me, I can't remember why I stopped watching?

I agree with your assessment of Andronmeda. Actually, I think the script and even a lot of the acting was what really steered me away from Andromeda. I really did try (because it took me a while to appreciate Kevin Sorbo in Hercules), but I just couldn't do it. *Sigh*
                    Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Cause its the bestest show ever duh!

I think the characters hook you in. The writers for that show did characters really well. You ended up really caring for them and wanted to know what happens to them. So you watch. Great show once you get past the quirkiness.
                      "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Reason #1, There is no formula for Farscape. At any given time, in any episode, ANYTHING can happen. They can be the good guys, or the bad guys, or thiefs, etc...
                        Reason #2, Lots of hot girls (and I'm sure the girls would say the same thing about guys) in leather.
                        Reason #3, Rygel
                        Reason #4, Rygel

Comment

The puppet characters never put me off, I thought they were well-rounded and believable. In fact, I found all of the characters interesting to watch and I thought it was well-acted and well-written.

I watched it for a spell of several episodes, after coming into one I especially enjoyed while channel hopping (can't for the life of me remember which one it was now). But my interest waned quite quickly over the long term and I quit.

The one thing that did bug me about it and put me off was Scorpio. He was just so gross. It made me sick to my stomach to watch him. Major turnoff. In fact quite a few of the guest characters they met made me nauseous to watch them. And as I like to be entertained by my SF, not grossed out, I guess that was why I stopped tuning in.

I do remember that I was often amused by the cast/crew telling us in interviews how original the setup of a group of prisoners escaping and running about the universe in a special ship was. Obviously never heard of Blake's 7...

Albion
                          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                            The puppet characters never put me off, I thought they were well-rounded and believable. In fact, I found all of the characters interesting to watch and I thought it was well-acted and well-written.

I watched it for a spell of several episodes, after coming into one I especially enjoyed while channel hopping (can't for the life of me remember which one it was now). But my interest waned quite quickly over the long term and I quit.

The one thing that did bug me about it and put me off was Scorpio. He was just so gross. It made me sick to my stomach to watch him. Major turnoff. In fact quite a few of the guest characters they met made me nauseous to watch them. And as I like to be entertained by my SF, not grossed out, I guess that was why I stopped tuning in.

I do remember that I was often amused by the cast/crew telling us in interviews how original the setup of a group of prisoners escaping and running about the universe in a special ship was. Obviously never heard of Blake's 7...

Albion

Was Blake's 7 shown just in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoBoY
                              I think the characters hook you in. The writers for that show did characters really well. You ended up really caring for them and wanted to know what happens to them. So you watch.
                              I agree Techno Boy.

I am new to Farscape and have almost completed the first season. I think the story arcs are really interesting and the character development is well done. There is just enough exposition to suck you in.

I like all of the main characters altho I would have to say that Zhaan and Chiana are prolly my least fave at the moment, but maybe that's cause we haven't been given much info about them.

I am completely hooked and can't wait to find out, especially with Crichton and D'argo's storylines.

Sig courtesy of InvisibleGirl
                              Proud to be an Aussie - the Calling all Australians thread.

My incredibly boring blog!

Comment

Working...
                              X