This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Bad Guys (Possible Spoilers)

Has anyone noticed, that ALL the Stargate off-world baddys and Goa'uld have BRITISH accents?? Or is that just me Let' see let's name some in the reasent seasons..(That i can remember that is)
    Spoilers!!

Khalem, Apophis, Hathor, quite a few of the different priors, the Doci, Heru'ur, ok, almost all of the Goa'uld, Vala (When she took over Prometheus)
    There are alot more (my memories terrible) but i'll leave it at that.

Any more bad guys with british accents would be appreciated!

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

amercian and canadian TV likes to use europeans as bad guys

Comment

Originally posted by Loaf
      amercian and canadian TV likes to use europeans as bad guys
      rofl... why is it always the europeans as the bad guys are we really that evil
      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin

~Stays deathly quiet at that post~

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want your bad guys to look evil and smart at the same time, give them a british accent. It's worked for science fiction since Star Wars.

Comment

i thought apophis was jamacan

Comment

I can't remember who it was that said this at a con, but they said that a lot of bad guys have British accents because the accent is pure and 'too good to be true' - I can't remember who though! *head slap* was at Wolf con in England though if anyone can remember :/
              Ses
              James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
                I don't know how to answer that without going off-topic.

I think it's really the "proper" received-pronounciation English that's the main target in entertainment, because it's associated with aristocracy and imperialism. England was a dominant imperial force, reviled around the world, for many years.

Maybe in a few years time, the bad guys will have Texas accents to reflect the new imperial paradigm.

I don't know. In any case, it's just a television/movie shorthand. Specific accent = evil. The opposite seems to be true in real life. People tend to view certain accents as charming.

I do think we need to be specific. After all, how many bad guys are Welsh or Irish? David Prowse, who played Darth Vader, was Welsh. Apparently, his accent was comically charming in juxtaposition to this dark menacing character his was physically portraying, so they brought in James Earl Jones to dub the voice.

Comment

Cliff Simon (Ba'al) is from South African, I believe.

Comment

I agree with.... the other guy... its because the bad guys use proper English, and there are no Americans that speak proper english. Thus they need British actors.

O wait! Apophis and Ra were the first villains, they didn't have british accents!! In fact, most of the early villains didn't. They killed all the system lords from the ancient world (egypt, greece, and the eastern cultures), all thats left are the european gods from the dark ages.

Comment

On the flip side of course, many of the Ancients encountered so far have English accents - basically every characters in the Atlantis ep Before I Sleep. I think most Ancients in SG-1 have been American-sounding (you had Orlin, and to be honest I can't remember right now the way that Oma spoke).

Comment

Its makes them sound smart, sexy and sophisticated (just like me ). Its everything a bad guy should be. Liquid Snake (Metal Gear Solid) wouldnt be half as cool if he didnt have a British accent. It also helps to show that the entire galaxy isnt populated by Americans and Africans. (Hope that dosn't sound racist)
                        Mercy is the mark of a great man *stab* maybe im just a good man *stab* well im okay

Amanda Waller: Bruce's DNA was easy enough to obtain. He left it all over town.
                        [Terry raises eyebrow]
                        Amanda Waller: Not remotely what I meant.

Comment

I know what you all mean about the British accent thing...it comes across so crisp and precise for a bad guy.
                          The good guys just don't sound the same with one.

but for me, there is only one evil Go'ald - Ba'al..I mean Cliff simon is just so super sexy, and a really GOOD bad guy...
                          Major Kaz Johnson Royal Marines. SG 6 CO GW RP

Atlantis based RPG...Take a look
                          http://tauruscolony.vf11.com/tauruscolony.html

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver
                            I agree with.... the other guy... its because the bad guys use proper English, and there are no Americans that speak proper english. Thus they need British actors.

YES! I think a proper way of stating the question is, "why do the system lords use proper english?"

Comment

Yeah it makes them sound sophisticated and not so sinister more trust worthy i guess
                              wereas if they all had deep raspy voices they'd all sound like someone from a cheap cartoon were they try to make the kids scared just of the voice

Spoiler:
                              Originally posted by Kidwizz
                              ... oh crap... you mean that... that... THING (aka sil) has siblings... *runs for bunker* *locks it behind me*

oh and sil... your the n00b...
                              Originally posted by Lt.Col.Errandboy
                              You guys must be glad you weren't in Perth on Boxing Day - we had 44.2 degrees - hottest on record, and we were the hottest capital city on that day IN THE FRAKKING WORLD!!!

had a barbecue on the pavement, actually...
                              and Btw for the fahrenheit crew, 44.2 celsius equals 111.5 fahrenheit!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X