This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Stargate still believable?

One of the great things about SG is that its set in the present time and this concept has been believable

But with the events of 'The 4th horseman' and the Alec Colson stuff etc. is Stargate still believable in terms of being set in the present day?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

I think in the context of the show they have slowly gotten to this point so it is believable to me. Had they just jumped any progression to get to this point it would not be. However I think they will have to reveal the gate soon because it is starting to be unbelievable that they can continue to keep this secret.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
      One of the great things about SG is that its set in the present time and this concept has been believable

But with the events of 'The 4th horseman' and the Alec Colson stuff etc. is Stargate still believable in terms of being set in the present day?
      ive wondered that also like how people would react to the super plague especially being unaware of the stargate. where are the reporters calling it bioterrorism etc... from the spoilers didnt they say 25% of the population gets infected? there would be mass panic, riots, looting etc....

Comment

I think the show is as believeable as it was in the past. The SGC has covered up some big ones in their time, and continue to do so. I will admit though, it is becoming more frequent.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Nah.

They abandoned the whole this feels like something very similar could be going on in our very own world right now a long time ago.

To their detriment, I must add. Humanity goes from zero to an intergalactic space cruiser in ten years is nuts. Even with the help of stolen technology and little grey men, its nuts. Buildings disappearing into orbit is nuts. It's all way over the top in regards to the original "this could be happening even now" aspect the show originally had.

Unfortunately, we've lost several key elements that made the show distinctive: the strong ties to human archaeology (let's call it the "Chariots of the Gods" element), the fledgling humanity taking tentative steps into the galaxy element, and now the "no huge contradictions with real world events" bites the dust.

Comment

I agree with all posts, the fact that the SGC is still secret with all the leaks/cover-ups is the most unbelieveable part for me now. I dont mind about all the wacky alien stuff, for me thats never been truly believeable, the believability in stargate for me was just how an earth command would react to it all.
            Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
            Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
            Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
            Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
            Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha

Unfortunately, we've lost several key elements that made the show distinctive: the strong ties to human archaeology (let's call it the "Chariots of the Gods" element), the fledgling humanity taking tentative steps into the galaxy element, and now the "no huge contradictions with real world events" bites the dust.
              yeah the archeology element and chariots of the gods was the main theme for a long time wish they would get back to it.

Comment

I did like the "old" stargate a lot, and given the chance I *might* go back to it..however, there is only so long you can re-decorate, you can move the furniture around, paint the walls a different color, but eventually you just have to throw the old sofa, lamps and pictures out and get something new
                Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
                Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
                Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
                Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
                Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

I think it has become less believable over time. We have FTL travel, travel by wormhole and a base built by an Ancient race in another galaxy. Enemies attack the Earth, over Antartica I grant, skyscrapers beamed into space, aliens with staff weapons running around killing in cities?

OTOH, I've heard stranger stories on the Art Bell show.

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                    One of the great things about SG is that its set in the present time and this concept has been believable.
                    IMO--Stargate was never "believable". Being set in the present doesn't in itself make a show believable.

Characters that feel "real" make a show believable to me.

IMO--Farscape's characters have always been--and continue to be--a little to good to be true.

That's not necessarily a bad thing because sometimes we look for that in our entertainment. We look for the characters on our TV sets to not have the flaws that real people have.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                      Nah.

They abandoned the whole this feels like something very similar could be going on in our very own world right now a long time ago.

To their detriment, I must add. Humanity goes from zero to an intergalactic space cruiser in ten years is nuts. Even with the help of stolen technology and little grey men, its nuts. Buildings disappearing into orbit is nuts. It's all way over the top in regards to the original "this could be happening even now" aspect the show originally had.

I totally agree, DB. The writing change after season 3 took the show in a new direction which ended the believability. It's a shame, really.

Comment

I don't feel the real world element at all anymore. The only connection is that they still wear US millitary uniforms and weapons. Disappearing buildings was the last straw.

Granted, I have to acknowledge that for the sake of the storyline I can't see how they could have beat the Goa'uld (which they kind of needed to do) without ships. They wouldn't have met their goal of getting technology to defend Earth if they hadn't gotten some advances.

But given all that goes on, Jaffa & Goa'uld on Earth. Dozens of Alien ships going in and out, Nasa astronauts knowing about the program, politicians knowing, buildings disappearing, hundreds of scientists going off to a new galaxy etc. I just can't buy that this program could still be secret.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Concerning Fourth Horseman... sorry guys, but SARS, anyone? Abola outbreak, abour 5 years ago? the plot for the episode is by far more believable than the sGC remaining secret....
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                            I don't feel the real world element at all anymore. The only connection is that they still wear US millitary uniforms and weapons. Disappearing buildings was the last straw.

Granted, I have to acknowledge that for the sake of the storyline I can't see how they could have beat the Goa'uld (which they kind of needed to do) without ships. They wouldn't have met their goal of getting technology to defend Earth if they hadn't gotten some advances.

But given all that goes on, Jaffa & Goa'uld on Earth. Dozens of Alien ships going in and out, Nasa astronauts knowing about the program, politicians knowing, buildings disappearing, hundreds of scientists going off to a new galaxy etc. I just can't buy that this program could still be secret.
                            The X-302s could be rationalized - they're just stealth fighters upgraded with some technology found. They could have even said that the Asgard gave us the hyperdrive generator design for it, and we just needed to find the power source (naquadria). We can reproduce it, but we really have no idea how it works.

But instead, we got more and more unbelievable technologies. Just think of the surface area of Prometheus and how much Trinium would have to be mined and brought back just for the surface area of the ship (let alone all the internal parts). The SGC would have been needed to be converted into one large mining operation, with no exploration whatsoever to accomodate this, and it still would have taken years. Not to mention removing all that ore from the mountain without it being spotted by anyone from the general public. It's just too unbelievable.

Comment

All things grow and develop, Now I think stargate is getting too big to be kept under raps, they might need to release little bits of info to satifty fokes
                              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Working...
                              X