This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate vs. Farscape animosity

I have noticed that there is a bit of animosity by the Farscape crowd regarding Stargate. I've read several critic's reviews and it seems like there is always some type of condescending remark about Stargate by a Farscape fan. I've done some lurking on Farscape message boards, and it appears there is a large contingent who can't wait for Stargate to fail. Additionally, I tried to get a few friends into Stargate, but they appear biased because they were Farscape fans. Could someone fill me in on why the Farscape crowd has such animosity towards Stargate? Thanks.

I know plenty of Farscape devotees who aren't at all down on Stargate, so I think that the 'animosity' isn't that widespread.

What they are down on is the desicion of Sci Fi to cancel Farscape in favour of buying Stargate, rather than on the show itself. Can't say I blame them - I'd feel the same if Showtime had cancelled Stargate in favour of buying Farscape!
    sigpic

Comment

Since this isn't strictly about Stargate the show I'm moving it to the off topic folder.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm certainly no expert, but I think there is a feeling among some Farscape fans that the Sci-Fi channel canceled Farscape because they acquired Stargate SG-1. I have no idea whether or not that is true or if it was just the timing. I've been watching Farscape in repeats on SciFi and I like the show, but from what I understand, the ratings did not justify a continuation for SciFi. They are doing a tv movie later this year and maybe that will lead to a spin off?
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Both shows are awesome, and niether one should be better than the other. Both should still be on SciFi. I think they should bring back FarScape, and re-do season 4 and 5, then do peacekeeper war. Just my thoughts.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

People try to build up a lot of animosity between SG and FS fans. "Bad blood" and inter-fandom tension makes for good press, but the truth is, other than a small faction of rabid nutters who insisted on blaming FS's "demise" on Stargate, most of the fans get along quite well. There are a lot of fans who love both shows and there are more who, if they don't watch both, they at least aren't hostile towards the other group.

There are analogies I could make, but I'll play nice.

Me, I liked FS well enough until its last season when I felt it went all stupid and irredeemably cheesy. I stopped watching and wasn't at all surprised when the cancellation was announced. I did feel sorry for the fans, though. I've been there, I've done that, I know how horrible it can be. I don't wish that on anyone.

Comment

i never really watched farscape but i do agreewith shadow, their last season was stupid. heck of a cliff hanger butthe other 21 hours were silly

and a lot of the animosity, be it real or imagined, seems to be based on the presumption that scifi canned farscape to pay for stargate

personally, i've always heard that there were other issues, but i doubt we'll ever know the real truth
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

As someone pointed out, it's kind of the ultimate irony to al the Stargate-bashing "your show killed our show" nutters out there that... er... that actress lady is gonna be on Stargate.

Oh, and then there's the other lady (Zhaan?) who's gonna be popping in for Gatecon again.

Take THAT, meanieheads!

Comment

Farscape was the first science fiction that I had gotten into after TNG, so I was upset with news of its cancellation. I think what upsets most FS fans is that shortly before the cancellation it was announced that there were going to be seasons 4 and 5, so it came as a shock to FS fans (myself included) that the 5th season we were expecting didn't come.

I think most rational FS fans understand that it's not SG1's "fault", the economics of television and the shows declining ratings due to whatever you want to believe (quality, promotion, etc.) were instrumental in FS's demise.... I still can't understand (from a personal preference POV) how Keen Eddie was cancelled and According to Jim is still on the air.

As for the quality of the final season of FS, I don't think it was up to the standard reached by the second half of Season 2 or all of Season 3, but it was better than Season 1. Just a matter of taste I suppose. I still believe that in the grand scheme of all TV the 4th season was still a heck of a lot better than most other shows out there.

What irritates me is how people assume you can only be a fan of one and not the other. Both are different shows with different styles and a person is fully capable of appreciating both for what they are.

Ranting Ends.....

Comment

I love Farscape as much as I love Stargate. I think the problem here in Britain was that Farscape was never promoted very much, therefore didn't get the large audience needed. I also think that Farscape was the type of programme that you had to watch from the beginning to follow the stories. What I mean, there, is that if a new viewer came to watch a random episode, they wouldn't have a frelling idea what was going on! At least with Stargate you can jump in anywhere, and get a general idea of what's going on. This means, IMHO, is that Stargate can always pick up new viewers, which is always good business.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree with Agent X and Dipsofjazz on this. The vast majority of scapers out there know that Farscape's cancellation had little to do with Stargate and more to do with problems with Scifi and the company that owned Henson at the time. Its been discussed to death over at Farscape boards what caused the show to be cancelled and Stargate doesn't come up. The fact is, the two shows are very different in style and storytelling and fans of one may not find the other appealing. But there are people out there who happily watch both and adore the differences. If certain Scapers come down hard on Stargate its because it sticks to formula like glue, the same way certain Gaters find Farscape cartoony and silly. I absolutely LOVE Farscape but I watch Stargate and I like it enough to be hanging around here. I have problems with it, but you know what? I had problems with Farscape's fourth season too. Its not that big of deal. Farscape is more cult, Stargate is more mainstream. Both shows are good. Stargate may get some flak once in a while, but its *Scifi Channel* that seriously pissed off fans.

On a note, Claudia Black appearing on Stargate will lead a LOT of Scapers to watch that episode and plenty of people plan to watch Atlantis when it premieres. One negative comment here and there doesn't mean the whole fandom is against Stargate.

*phew* Anyway, back to lurking.
                      Last edited by FieryHands; 06 July 2004, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                        I also think that Farscape was the type of programme that you had to watch from the beginning to follow the stories.
                        That's the feeling I got whenever I tried to tune in. I thought it looked great, but it was complicated to follow just jumping in and I didn't know anyone else who watched it. As a result, I "missed" it. I'm was trying to catch the episodes in order on SciFi, but I think I'll just abandon that in favor of renting the DVDs. I'm hoping to get caught up by the time the movie airs...in December, I think?
                        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                        once done, cannot be undone...
                        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

All I have to say is that as a Scaper even moreso than a Gater (I say it with pride, but don't get me wrong... I love both shows dearly) I see a fair amount of people at FMD (Save Farscape's forums) that don't give SG-1 the light of day for various reasons, but I see many that do, and a few that like Stargate even more than Farscape. I strongly recommend everyone here watch the Peacekeeper Wars Miniseries unless they actually dislike Farscape, and yes, that's shameless promotion, but please understand that Farscape, Sci-Fi thinks, can get decent ratings without being promoted one ioda this year. If we can get good ratings perhaps we'll see a spinoff of some sort. This is what I would love to see:

8:00 PM - Stargate SG-1
                          9:00 PM - Farscape
                          10:00 PM - Stargate Atlantis

...but that's just me.
                          If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by gange57
                            I have noticed that there is a bit of animosity by the Farscape crowd regarding Stargate. I've read several critic's reviews and it seems like there is always some type of condescending remark about Stargate by a Farscape fan. I've done some lurking on Farscape message boards, and it appears there is a large contingent who can't wait for Stargate to fail. Additionally, I tried to get a few friends into Stargate, but they appear biased because they were Farscape fans. Could someone fill me in on why the Farscape crowd has such animosity towards Stargate? Thanks.
                            I happen to be a dyed in the wool Stargate fan and a dyed in the wool Farscape fan. I love both Jack and John and whichever one of them reaches me first can have me....

....first.

I also love Star Trek-DS9, Babylon 5 and any number of the other sci-fi series. This is the first I've heard of this strong animosity between Stargate & Farscape and I really hate the thought of all of this....
                            "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                            it has it's own laws and beats about things
                            which the intellect scorns."
                            - Mark Twain -

Comment

There were rumors going around that Farscape got the axe to make way for SG-1... But if you look at the ratings, they were pretty horrible. If you were the Sci-Fi channel president and had to make a decision on whether to keep a struggling show like Farscape on the air, or make an investment on a potential franchise with a proven track record... which would you go with?
                              "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Working...
                              X