Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Stargate vs. Farscape animosity

Quote Originally Posted by dipsofjazz
    I love Farscape as much as I love Stargate. I think the problem here in Britain was that Farscape was never promoted very much, therefore didn't get the large audience needed.
    ITA. The week that the fourth series started, Radio Times devoted a half-page column to Danny Kelly saying what geeks SF fans are, how strange we are attending our conventions and buying DVDs and wearing anoraks. And it devoted not a single line to informing us that Farscape had a new series. It didn't even print 'New Series' in the listing, let alone give it a picture or a spot in the 'choice' section.

ITA about needing to get in on it from the start too. Mr W and I gave it a miss at first, then SFX started raving about it, and went on raving for two years, so we caved and bought the box set of s1, sight unseen. No way would it 'work' well for newbies joining part-way through.

That's the problem with the fourth series. They were told to 'reintroduce' the characters, and to make the plots more standaloney. I did think it got dramatically better with the wormhole-to-Earth storyline in the middle.

There are so many fantastic things to say about Farscape, where to start? Perhaps the biggest spectacle was the end of s3, where Talyn and Crais... you know (sob!), and the breaking up of the command carrier. I have to complement the acting, and not just of the human actors. Pilot was amazing, particularly in Scratch 'n' Sniff and that flashback guilt-trip episode. Rygel had *such* potential to be as annoying as metal scraped on concrete, but turned out to be a fantastic character, probably because unlike what people would expect of a small puppet he was amoral and totally uncute.

Madeleine

Chevron Re: Stargate vs. Farscape animosity

I couldn't care either way.

I just got Basic Cable for the first time in three years, and am trying to get caught up with BOTH SG-1 and Farscape.

Neither is better in my eyes. They are both good sci-fi programs.
    I am on a mission to acquire the SG-1 DVDs, since I wish to know all about this great universe...

I have the original movie and Season 1 on DVD.

Update: I also have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

I have seen the light! Please help me learn more!

We should make a poll about this.
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Quote Originally Posted by DownFallAngel
    We should make a poll about this.
    No, all that would do is feed more controversy. Better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Posted by Darren in Stargate News -
    According to SciFi.com's Stargate site:

Tune in to the Season Eight premiere of SG-1 tonight to catch a special preview of the upcoming Farscape mini-series!

Farscape previews during SG-1's season premiere, Claudia Black to appear in an episode, does anyone else sense a courtship going on here? I just find it curious. It works for me.
    Slainte
    "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

All I sense are greased palms and mutual back-slapping. It's trendy to re-use actors from cult shows. Just look at all the Firefly people who've been popping up in various places.

Quote Originally Posted by Slainte
    Posted by Darren in Stargate News -
    According to SciFi.com's Stargate site:

Tune in to the Season Eight premiere of SG-1 tonight to catch a special preview of the upcoming Farscape mini-series!

Farscape previews during SG-1's season premiere, Claudia Black to appear in an episode, does anyone else sense a courtship going on here? I just find it curious. It works for me.
    Scifi does some dumb things sometimes but this seems like a logical cross-promotion. Wouldn't be surprised to see Claudia Black's guest appearance on Stargate (airing in Jan, 2005) advertised during the Farscape mini-series this fall.

Whatever it is -- works for me too. Looking forward to seeing the preview.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...d_smallest.jpgLife is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Chief Master Sergeant VixyOwl (~~Ani)'s Avatar

QUOTE:
    ----------------
    This is what I would love to see:

8:00 PM - Stargate SG-1
    9:00 PM - Farscape
    10:00 PM - Stargate Atlantis
    --------

YES! I'm so there!
    "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
    "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
    "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
    --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

I never watched Farscape too much and I agree it is hard to follow if you try and jump part-way in. However, from what I've heard, it was a good show, right up there with Stargate. The problem i have with Sci-Fi is: What the ***** "heck" else do they have to show? They have no other "original" series (not that Stargate is an original Sci-Fi channel series). All they have coming up is 16 episodes of Battlestar Gallactica and from the poor reviews I don't think they'll be ordering any more (I could be wrong, since when to network execs make sense?) It's like their trying to pull another StarTrek: TNG from StarTrek: TOS. As far as I know, that's all Sci-Fi has. Stargate and Farscape would have worked well together, epecially since their losing SG-1 soon and will only be left with Atlantis. If Gallactica dies, they've only got one show to carry them. We also saw how they screwed up the last B5 made for TV movie, they better not do the same for Farscape, at least for the sake of the Farscape fans.

OK, I think I'm done ranting. I don't mean to be offensive to anyone, I'm just upset at some of Sci-Fi's decisions. It looked like they'd have a really good line-up there for a while. Now it's going to heck in a handbasket. All we have are old Sci-Fi reruns (which are good, don't get me wrong) and really interesting (i.e. bad, horrible, yuck, etc...) "original" movies (let's watch to giant CG snakes battle eachother for a couple hours). Yup, done now.

Chief Master Sergeant FieryHands's Avatar
    I have no frelling idea! *runs in a circle screami

Offensive? Nah, I agree with you ViritualCLD. Scifi's has had a lot of "original" shows, they just never bother to keep them. Farscape just got lucky running as long as it did and would not have survived anywhere else, unlike Stargate which is at least syndicated. One can only hope that Atlantis rises (no pun intended) above the pile of dead shows and gives Scifi incentive not to crank out shows and then kill them.

Sci-Fi has absoloutely 0 involvement in the production of the mini-series. Its all done by Henson and some outside partners. Not sure who, but Sci-Fi just bought the rights to air the show first. So rest assured they wont corrupt it!

Sci-Fi has alot of original shows...no they have alot of stupid cliched shows that only borderline there "popcorn movies" in how horrible the plots and acting are. The only other Sci-Fi show besides Farscape was decent was First Wave which when compared to Farscape...well thats just it, there is no comparison.

Jeff I like your line up but as much as I like SG-1 they seriously need to end it this season. Sci-Fi will end up milking that show dry like Fox did with the Simpsons and the X-Files.

The animosity seems to have increased since BB and CB came to SG
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have. so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

I haven't seen any Scapers vs Gaters animosity as such - certainly no blanket dislike of one group of fans by the other. What I have seen is two or three Scapers who think that we Gaters are blessed beyond measure to have two of their sainted actors, and two or three Gaters who think that we Scapers (yes, I'm both) should kneel before the greatness of the uncancelled show that is Stargate, cos only a show that's never been cancelled could possibly have the least amount of merit.

And I've seen people who like both shows or just one getting annoyed with the two-or-three; and not just the two-or-three from the 'other side'. For instance I think Farscape is smashing, and Claudia Black is IMO the best actress in TV SF; but even so it winds me up something chronic when any post that is not swooning over her is met with a reply from one of the two-or-three that points out how she's the best thing since crackers.

It doesn't reflect badly on all Scapers / Gaters though; I think most people have the sense to see that the majority of both are the sane, pleasant live-and-let-live type.

Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W
    two or three Scapers who think that we Gaters are blessed beyond measure to have two of their sainted actors,
    This group of people seem to be in the majority and as this is an SG board it is really annoying me
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have. so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

i have never really been given the chance to see farscape, only a few eps and the mini-seies, but i like it a lot . even though i hadn't seen much of it, i was sad to hear of its cancellation , and would most certainly watch it if they made a new season. however, i know stargate sg-1 will always be my number one!
    i've only just heard of this fan animosity, and i'm not really surprised if some scapers feel a little bitter about stargate if it really was because of stargate that it was cancelled. i don't think it is fair for them to take it out on the fans though!

Holey thread necromancy We would have let you make a new topic, Qasim

Banner By JME2

What do you mean?

Necromancy is the black art of communicating with the dead. This is usually done to obtain information about the future, but can also be used for other purposes, such as getting the dead to perform deeds of which humans are not capable.
    love Torri

Chief Master Sergeant lazerbrain's Avatar

I watched the first few episodes at my parent's when it premired on Showtime, but I was in college at the time and didn't Showtime there. But I was into other shows at the time, like B5. Anyway, I eventually got hooked by Farscape and started to watch it religiously. When Sci-fi got SG1, I was worried about the amount of promos for SG1 and not Farscape. Then Farscape gets cancelled in the fourth season after being promised a fifth. For a while, I was very resentful against SG1, but I eventually got over it. I turned my hatred towards Sci-Fi and Vendi-Universial (sp?) who owned them at the time. Eventually I got over that as well because I realized that it is just a business and sometimes bad/wrong things happen and you shouldn't stay mad about it forever. Besides there are much betters things to hate like reality TV.

But I will always love Farscape, and I miss watching that show a lot. But you can learn to love again. Now, I love watching SG1 and Atlantis almost as much as I loved watching Farscape.

Quote Originally Posted by qasimjavid
    What do you mean?
    Check the date on the post before yours its July 2004.
    "Thread necromancy" =bringing back an old thread thats been dead for a long time.

Banner By JME2

Quote Originally Posted by Crazedwraith
    Check the date on the post before yours its July 2004.
    "Thread necromancy" =bringing back an old thread thats been dead for a long time.
    Theres nothing wrong with resurrecting a thread
    love Torri