• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entity (420)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON FOUR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 420

The S.G.C. is invaded by an alien life force that takes up residence in the base computer system -- and in Major Carter.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 February 2021, 09:26 PM.

I really liked the concept behind this episode, especially how it shows that after working together for so long, the team has really become a family, in their relentless care for Carter. The part where Jack shoots her though... oh, man, that was frighteningly good.
    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Yeah, this one was well acted. RDA really made it look like it was painful for O'Neill to shoot Carter.

Comment

this is one of my favourite sam episodes. here's a drinking game for ya, every time AT blinks, take one drink. you shant be getting drunk very quickly.
        i love the overall look of this episode, and i love the science versus military debate and how its done.
        fantastic acting all around. teal'c doesn't have much to say in this one, but just look at his eyes. and rda looking all sad? yum. i know, i'm so shallow.
        i love o'neill playing around with the camera though. very funny.

good, good, good episode.

Comment

Yes, AT did a really good job playing a character with no lines and making it feel real.

I enjoy this episode and I think it raises some interesting military vs. science questions, and in typical Stargate fashion leaves it for the viewer to decide the answers.

The Props department came up with a very cool looking "nest" too. Those guys are always amazing!

One little nit I have, is when Carter talks about the systems going down and she mentions "File Allocation Tables" (FAT). Any project where the data they collect is important would be using a journaling filesystem, and FAT16/32 are not journaling filesystem. Plus FAT is a very Windows related term and I highly doubt they would trust Windows to run their computers. They'd probably be using a UNIX of some form. Anymore I'd guess SELinux with openMosix for clustering.
          ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
          The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

perhaps they use a windows interface, for the primary system, and have a unix backup. but i'd guess that they'd have created their own OS to make it more difficult to break into. but then again i'm no longer dealing with computers on a serious basis and i have a tendency to completely forget anything i've learned when i've been away from it for a while (i'm stupid that way) so i'm probably completely off base on that.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
              perhaps they use a windows interface, for the primary system, and have a unix backup.
              Oh yes, I can see it now. An SG team has just sent their iris code, and Hammond orders "Open the Iris" Sgt. Davis goes to place his hand on the pad when suddenly the system locks up. Davis turns to Hammond, "Sir the computer has crashed!" The next thig we know we hear the unmistakable sound of multiple impacts against the iris.

No I highly doubt that they use Windows for the main system, if you sneeze in it's direction Windows gets a virus.

but i'd guess that they'd have created their own OS to make it more difficult to break into.
              Why reinvent the wheel? Especially with the fine grain security you can get with, for example, Solaris or SELinux ACL's

Of course your security is only as good as your administrator, no matter what OS you're running.
              ~BCM =)

Comment

There's something a friend noticed the other day with this episode....

After the entity has invaded the SGC computers Hammond says that he's contacted all off-world teams to tell them to stay put. BUT later on he says that they can't open the Stargate and risk letting the entity out of the SGC.

Umm...so how did he contact the off-world teams exactly?
                "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Maybe he contacted off-world teams before he actually told them they couldn't open the gate, well yah, that brings up a good question
                  Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

That could be explained several different ways...

One he decided that the risk was minial to contact 1 team and that team contacted all the other teams and told them to 'stay put'.

Or, more likely, at the time he contacted all the other teams he thought the alien virus was contained and he was just telling them to stay put until they were sure that everything at the SGC was back up and running. As a precaution.
                    ~BCM =)

Comment

I just skimmed through this thread, and didn't see anyone talking about it, but question, for Zats, first shot is stun right? and second shot is...?

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                        I just skimmed through this thread, and didn't see anyone talking about it, but question, for Zats, first shot is stun right? and second shot is...?
                        ...death.
                        third is Walla-kazam, I shall make this body disappear.

I think the idea behind this ep, that the second shot didnt kill sam because the entity was in her body when she was shot, rather than her.
                        thus, the entity died, while she was downloaded into the computer.

I was disappointed that they didnt communicate more with the entity.
                        and really quite annoyed at jack for provoking it into squidging into sam.
                        fair enough he just wanted to be prepared, but there's a difference to being prepared and being aggressive.

I guess that must be how daniel feels a lot of the time.?

Comment

Ok, i was confused with the second and third shot, because in that one episode where rya'c is brainwashed (but isn't really), and his new dad backstabbed SG1 and went to rat them out, but Jack followed him and shot him, and incinerated him, haha... It looked like 2 shots, but yah, i think i might have remembered he shot him twice more once he was on the ground.

I was bummed they didn't speak to Entity more either

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
                            I was disappointed that they didnt communicate more with the entity.
                            and really quite annoyed at jack for provoking it into squidging into sam.
                            fair enough he just wanted to be prepared, but there's a difference to being prepared and being aggressive.
                            Wow, I never thought of it like that.

The way I saw it was that the Entity had setup the nest primarily to store itself until it could act, but ultimately as a trap for Sam or Daniel or someone, because the Entity knew that they were "more efficient sotrage vessels". I felt that the Entity was planing on jumping into a person basically from the moment it started to build the "nest".

I saw Jack's actions as having no effect on the plans of the Entity. However I do think his actions had some effect on the timing, in that the entity felt it had to act before Jack cut the power. Otherwise, I don't feel that his actions "provoked" the entity more then it already was when they wiped it from their computer systems or "attacked" it's homeworld.
                            ~BCM =)

Comment

This was a good one for first Jack's confusion,"I'm not getting all of my memos"And his reaction in the briefing "So were calling it a probe" Sometimes it takes so little to satisfy him. Then he is all tuff guy, no bs when Sam is threatened. He can be everybit as silly as serious.And all in one episode. Jack O'Neill rules!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X