This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dex vs. Ford

Has Dex made anyone forget about Ford or made his regular departure from the show easier?.

Personally I was dissapointed when they took Ford out the loop (other than a few episodes) in season II. Obviously it was done because of Dex joining the show. But after watching the first half of the season with Dex in every episode since his introduction he has made losing Ford alot easier.

I like Ford's new hybrid Wraith/Human character. His edginess really shows his acting talent alot better than his rather green portrayal in season I.

As far as Dex goes, the guy is growing on me more and more with each episode. I can see why the writers brought him into the fold. His kick-butt attitude and Wraith hunting ability make him something the show needed this season. Plus he seems rather talented.

Any opinions or thoughts are welcome.
    Dex
    67.25%
    Ford
    32.75%
    Last edited by the Fifth Race; 16 September 2005, 12:39 PM.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Dex has had more personal developement than Ford. Hes kinda easier to identify with.

Comment

I prefer Dex too, he makes the show more entertaining as he has more character than Ford did. I always found Ford too under developed. He seemed like nothing special but Dex has alot of background and I like the fact he was a runner, I wonder even without being tagged if any wraith are still looking for him.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm with Dex.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I like Ford a lot. But I liked him more on the second view of the season because unfortunatly the writers didnt give him much to do so he was kind of overlooked unless you really paid attention. I will miss the fresh, newbie, name everything attitude. Of course the "new" Ford seems cool too and hes getting more depth now that hes only a guest star then a member of the cast. His loss is felt.

On the other hand, I dont know what it is about Dex but I just like this character. Hes seems to have been given more presence and more depth in the first couple of eps then Ford ever was given and he seems to have helped Teyla show a little better too. Plus I think Sheppard plays well off of him and I think the Rodney - Dex interactions they have given us so far are pretty darn funny. So for some reason this "alien" seems to have helped the "team" come together.... or maybe its the loss of Ford that has helped them close ranks and Dex just can understand because he was a runner (kinda like ford is now in a way).

I think having Dex on the show does making losing Ford easier. Both are good and respectable characters. Dex has not come in and "stolen the show" but has instead intergrated himself into Atlantis and has enhanced the other characters interactions with one another and improved the team feeling on the show and thats always a great thing!!
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I always felt like Ford was just "that guy". I never had any emotional attachment to him, I didn't know anything much about him, and his presense isn't missed much. Ronan, on the other hand, quickly became an interesting character and has already added more to the show than I felt that Ford added in a whole season. (Not to diss Ford. I do like that TPTB didn't kill him off but instead made SUPERFord a recurring character.)
            SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

I liked Frord, but Dex isn't so bad. Personally, I would like to see Ford return after this story arc of his has given him more character. After all, he's supposed to be special ops trained and a weapons guy. Let's see that put to use.
              'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

I much prefer Ford. I like Ford because he was just a normal guy...like me. He's the only character I could relate to on any level. As far as Dex goes, he hasn;t really done anything that Ford couldn't have done (except murder someone). I certainly don't "blame" Dex for Ford's departure, but I just don't see him as more interesting or "better" than Ford.

Ford is how I would be (or would wish to be) on Atlantis, and I sure hope he comes back.
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I prefer Ford, all the way!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cafine_us
                    I always felt like Ford was just "that guy". I never had any emotional attachment to him, I didn't know anything much about him, and his presense isn't missed much. Ronan, on the other hand, quickly became an interesting character and has already added more to the show than I felt that Ford added in a whole season. (Not to diss Ford. I do like that TPTB didn't kill him off but instead made SUPERFord a recurring character.)
                    Agreed. I find Dex fascinating. Ford wasn't that interesting. Much of the time to me, he just barely missed being annoying with his wide eyed boyishness.
                    Ford is definitely more interesting as the hyped up super soldier than a member of the team, but on a whole I still prefer Dex. Which surprises me since I expected him to be just a pretty boy cliche... which he is sometimes, but not so much that it's distracting.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I think im in the minority but I dont like Dex much, he mumbles and looks down too much
                      Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
                      Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
                      Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
                      Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
                      Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

I always liked Ford, I also like Dex tonns, i'm not sure who to vote for!! -hides under a pile of Jaffa cakes-

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                          As far as Dex goes, he hasn;t really done anything that Ford couldn't have done (except murder someone). I certainly don't "blame" Dex for Ford's departure, but I just don't see him as more interesting or "better" than Ford.
                          That is basically how I feel. There have been some (confirmed?) rumors that Dex was brought on to replace Ford in order to create a character that's grittier, tougher, more likely to shoot and ask questions later, etc. etc. That's fine, but I don't see why they had to move over Ford and bring in someone new. Couldn't they have just kept Ford at Atlantis with his new wraithed, tough attitude? His wraith abilities could have also given his character an "alien" feeling that Dex adds.

I'm warming to Dex, but I'm just not really sure why we had to bring him in when Ford could have taken on the new role.

Comment

Well FORD IMO was immature and didn't bother trying to hide it! I still don't know how somebody that immature could have been chosen to go to Atlantis in the first place it makes (made) Zero sense.

Dex on the other hand is obviously experienced in the ways of the world and you only need to look at him to know he is a man not a boy. This has nothing to do with the Actors I might add, I would never say Rainbow is immature.

I do look forward to seeing him in Lost Boys and hope the character has grow a little even if it turns out to be in a Evil Wraith kind of way! In fact this might be a great way to make an on-going new enemy for Atlantis an ex-team member who not only knows about humans he is also gaining knowledge about the Wraith. He could be the next Mega Enemy of Atlantis, well he could!

Comment

I like Ford,
                              "I like Ford because he was just a normal guy..."
                              I agree with that, Major Tyler took the ward out of my mouth.
                              Ford is the only character I could relate to in my life...

See I like Dex, but I will end up fighting him, Dex is.... like one of thoughts guys that think they know everything/is always better then you, I dont like to hang with people like that, they make to much drama, as if I dont have enuff in my life as it is.

Fords one thoughts guys that you just want to chill with, and i think if it came down to it USA'S army is one of the best, no1 in another galaxy is going to win, plus Ford was one of them best hand to hand combat ppl there, just ask Makay(I dont know the right spelling) .

Never forget the power of words, and how it can affect someone's life.
                              Always remember there's another person on the other side of the computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X