A Time To Rise (201)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
    "A Time To Rise"
    Special Length 90 Minute Season Premiere

"A Time To Rise" (Part One of Two)
    Ep: 2.01
    Release Date: September 22nd 2005
    Written by Alex Rubit

Four months have past since the events of “Judgment Day.” The Horizon team is asked to visit the Vorian homeworld where they are to meet with General Williams and the Vorian President, who inform the team of a surprising decision with regard to the Horizon mission.

A dangerous development within Vorian space leads to the arrival of new series regular De’van Callen!
    Outstanding
    47.06%
    Good
    35.29%
    Fair
    5.88%
    Poor
    5.88%
    Terrible
    5.88%
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 02 October 2005, 09:38 PM.
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

As Sam has already announced, Season Two has officially premiered. You can get to the Horizon homepage by clicking on the link in my signature; the episode can be downloaded in the Episodes section.

Enjoy! And don't forget to stop back here for discussion, and to make use of the episode poll!

Comment

Now that it's released unto the world, I can openly share my opinions on it to everyone!

I liked this episode, and I assure you that it is only a taste of what to come i nthe near future of Horizon. It introduced Callen, who I believe is a great addition to the team.

This was well written, and I'll post a more full review once I've completed the outline of the episode I'm writing. Hey look, it's Tom! Will he rejoin? What's he doing at the prison camp? How'd he get there? How has it changed him? All this and more next week.
      Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
      Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
      Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
      Stargate Destiny, Fan
      Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

I loved this episode, it really had an air of new to it from the beginning and I really loved the new characters you introduced. And the scene on the kih'andari planet, is one of my favorites from the series.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Hey, Alex and Co you guys have outdone yourselves once again! This episode was awesome. I was a little worried in the beginning that it might be a little bit "dry" but boooooooy was I wrong! As soon as I had said that to myself, I began to feel as if I was on one hell of a roller-coaster ride. So much stuff is covered in this one episode that it surprises me that it is only 113 pages long!! I love the whole 2 team thing, the major shakeup in the Horizon chain of command, the awesome insight into Vorian history, the return of our fish-headed friends, the bad guy at the meeting (just in case somebody hasn't read the end of ep 122!) and the massive bombshell that was dropped on us at the end. I am going crazy just waiting for episode 2! I am still thinking of what happens in the last paragraph! Wow, it was such a cool episode. If this episode is any indication of how future episodes are going to be then SGH is going to be an outstanding TV show, virtual or not!! Thanks for this killer episode, and I can't wait for the other ~ 23 episodes, the cgi and other awesome downloadable treats. I just wanted to let you all know how psyched I am about this episode. SGH has returned with a vengeance (I just had to include that cliche!!)
          Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
          ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
          <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

Originally posted by StevetheWraith!
            Hey, Alex and Co you guys have outdone yourselves once again! This episode was awesome. I was a little worried in the beginning that it might be a little bit "dry" but boooooooy was I wrong! As soon as I had said that to myself, I began to feel as if I was on one hell of a roller-coaster ride. So much stuff is covered in this one episode that it surprises me that it is only 113 pages long!! I love the whole 2 team thing, the major shakeup in the Horizon chain of command, the awesome insight into Vorian history, the return of our fish-headed friends, the bad guy at the meeting (just in case somebody hasn't read the end of ep 122!) and the massive bombshell that was dropped on us at the end. I am going crazy just waiting for episode 2! I am still thinking of what happens in the last paragraph! Wow, it was such a cool episode. If this episode is any indication of how future episodes are going to be then SGH is going to be an outstanding TV show, virtual or not!! Thanks for this killer episode, and I can't wait for the other ~ 23 episodes, the cgi and other awesome downloadable treats. I just wanted to let you all know how psyched I am about this episode. SGH has returned with a vengeance (I just had to include that cliche!!)
            Thanks! I'm glad you've liked the episode.

It really does start off in a more quiet way, which was something we went for purposely. So, in a way it goes against expectations, because after the Season One finale you might expect a much more action-packed opening. However, something I think works very well is if you can do things the audience does not expect you to do. It's great if you can be unpredictable, and I think the cliffhanger of this episode must have been a surprise. With the developing Kih'Andari plot, you might also start seeing now what I was talking about when I said we'd be doing some very new things, that haven't been done on Stargate before.

So, the episode starts slowly building up into something very big, and as it does that the tension builds up more and more. I thought that structure worked very well for the story. And, let's just say, you'll be in for quite a ride on Thursday. "A Time To Survive" is one of the biggest episodes we've done, when it comes to action sequences, as well as fight sequences. You could say if we were shooting the episodes, our fight and stunt coordinator would have had his hands full with "A Time To Survive." Once you see it, I think you'll know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Wow, I wasn't expecting Tom back so soon.

Great episode. Better than "Awakening", although not quite as good as some of season one's later episodes. Still a great way to start the new season. Looks like this season'll get very interesting...

Comment

Review:

Great Googly Moogly!

And now for a more thoughtful analysis...

Great to see some new sections of the station, Chase/Grant interaction was an excellent way to get back into the swing of things. A new conference table, some stylistic changes. In terms of visualization it’s nice for a series to change things now and then, its just a shame we cant actually see these lovely new changes.

The David/Christine scene was very cute, I don’t mean in an overly mooshy way, but is was touching to see how much they are missing their companions.

The journalist character didn't appeal hugely, as comedy value I guess his presence was okay, but thinking about the episode probably wouldn't have suffered if he wasn't in it. Though of course now that Horizon is becoming a rather twisty show maybe he isn't all that he seems...

The Kih'Andari becoming more powerful is exactly the start I hoped for, building on season one is the just what I was hoping for in season two. The Vorian reaction too is interesting, their using telepathy as a weapon now? The Vorians themselves are starting to walk pretty close to the line.

The end of the first act was simply marvelous and came as a complete shock, taking the show in a new direction by changing things in such a way is pretty brave and my first impressions are that it is a good move.

Callen is a great character to bring into the mix, immediately I like him, it'll be interesting to see how he fits into the team on a day-to-day basis.

The return of the Enoly was great, again I have been wanting to see more of them since their last appearance. Not just any Enoly either but Gorlon who has a huge grudge against the Horizon team for kicking his ass previously.

Sonak's back, didn't expect to see him again so soon. His ultimatum was fantastic, the Kih'Andari have a legal right to take over Horizon!

The Awesomeness of the episode cranks up another couple of notches when it's revealed Tom is in the prison camp with them. Just before the reveal I thought it might have been Sivok, or perhaps even the real General Williams (that’s if evil Generall Williams isn't the real one). A fantastic cliffhanger. Our heroes in an enemy prison, Tom's return, the Kih'Andari having a claim to Horizon, civil war about to break out.

"A Time To Rise" is an outstanding start to the season, it had everything I wanted from the opening of Season Two. Very well written and gosh, there is plenty to look forward to.
                I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

I'm glad you enjoyed the first episode, and as usual your review was informative and much appreciated. I promise that there's plenty in store for the Enoly, the Kih'Andari, Callen, and many of the other things introduced and continued in this episode.
                  Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

* Do Not read if you do not want to be spoiled*
                    Jelgate's Two Cents

This episode was pretty good. Not as great as the S1 finale but they all can't be action episodes. I got to say that I am actually glad someone is replacing Grant. It never made sense to me that he was the leader of Horizon. I mean it is not professional for the leader to go offworld on missions. Besides, this Callen guy seems like a very decent guy. You could see a lot of emotion between Sivea and Sonak when they were debating on the Kih'Andar. Its always hard when one of your best friends stabs you in the back. So we have come to a civil war in the Vorian system. Why do I have a feeling that won't last to long. Williams is really starting to getting on my nerves by sending Grant and David into an obvious trap. Now there stuck in a Enloy prison camp. I was sure that Tom died in Judgement Day as SierraGulf1 so rudely, pointed out I was wrong. I am really currious on how he went from Ultera to the Enloy prison camp
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Sorry, I was just kidding, but I realize it came across as a little tactless and rude. My apologies, I didn't want to make you look bad and it's been deleted. Glad you enjoyed "A Time to Rise," and we should slowly figure out what happened to Tom as time progresses (mostly, however, in "A Time to Survive").
                      Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

Working...
                      X