No announcement yet.

"Sliders" Discussion /Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember that the last episode I saw ended with them sliding to a world where the city had been evacuated because a giant swarm of insects were about to destroy it. If I remember correctly they saw a TV news broadcast that said something like "May god have mercy on those still in the city". Does anyone here remember what episode this was or more importantly what the next episode is?

This has been bugging me for some time, I tried going through an episode guide but couldn´t find anything that sounded right.

Comment

A real shame the Series never got to be what the original idea was aiming for, the series could very well have done 10 seasons if the ideas were there before hand and the characters were handled carefully, but due to money issues they just made an abomination of a show that was so original and unique that like shows such as "Stargate" that were also unique Sliders could have made history and who knowns a spin off could be on this friday night in prime time with a huge fanbase perhaps.......i wonder if things were different maybe in another world or lifetime....
      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
        A real shame the Series never got to be what the original idea was aiming for, the series could very well have done 10 seasons if the ideas were there before hand and the characters were handled carefully, but due to money issues they just made an abomination of a show that was so original and unique that like shows such as "Stargate" that were also unique Sliders could have made history and who knowns a spin off could be on this friday night in prime time with a huge fanbase perhaps.......i wonder if things were different maybe in another world or lifetime....
        It is very unfortunate. Again, I think Fox is one of the main reasons Sliders wasn't a big success. They pushed the series away from its social commentary, and exploration of scientific theories and various philosophies in order to focus more on cheap action, sex appeal and ripoffs of science fiction films.

The series co-creator, Tracy Tormé, has often been critical of the direction the series took after he lost control of it. Tormé wanted the end of an episode to be linked to the beginning of the next episode, but he claimed that Fox did not allow him to do this because they wanted to air the episodes in their preferred order, and that linking episodes would force them to air them in Tormé's order. He also felt that this screwed up the show's continuity.

He claimed that Fox wanted an action-oriented show based on popular movies where it is intended that the viewer forgets what has been seen five minutes later. He also claimed that Fox did not want anything intellectual or political, and that they didn't want satire. He said he was embarrassed by the third season.

Tormé said that by the third season, all his allies had been fired, the other executive producers, the network, and the studio all wanted to go in a direction that he disagreed with and by that time he had gotten tired of fighting battles with the network, so he walked away from the show.

David Peckinpah was brought to the series in the third season (around the time when Tracy Tormé started to criticize the show). Peckinpah has been criticized by fans of the show who argue that Peckinpah's involvement caused the show to "jump the shark".

Seasons four and five have their fanbases; some even called four the best since the first two (largely due to Jerry O'Connell becoming a writer and producer for the series, although this was itself an albatross as it led to the casting of the much disliked Charlie O'Connell).
        sigpic
        "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
        DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
          Maggots? You mean the Kromagg right? Yeah, she was taken to a Kromagg farm to be tested upon, raped, etc. How very nice of the writers...oh yeah, she'd wanna come back after they did THAT.

Ugh, I just accept that Season 4 and 5 aren't canon. I do sadly accept The Exodus (as crappy as it was) as canon because theres a good chance that it wasn't our professor that died (cause of what happened in "Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome").
          They did that?!
          God, I'm glad I stopped watching the show before that happens.
          I think.
          I survived season 3 somehow.... only watched season 4 on and off.... and yeah, by the end of season 5 I was glad it wa sput out of its misery. A shame, tho, as seaosns 1-2 are one of the best science fiction shows ever!

ETA: interesting info about what happened in the show, Descent, thanks. Truely a shame.

(and, er... I actually liked the first episode with the Kromaggs... but just the first).
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Yep, I found the Kromaggs and this need for a "bad guy" in the show to be one of the show's mistakes. Fox undoubtablely pressured the writers into it.

If Fox kept the show I hear that it would have been Jerry and the woman trying to find their way home after they slide into "the future".

And I doubt the show would have continued 10 years. I think it would have ended in 5-7 because there is only so much "What ifs" people care about and after awhile the non-geek crowd would have left.

Comment

I definitely enjoyed the first few seasons of this show. Just fell out of interest in it though as time went on.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                I definitely enjoyed the first few seasons of this show. Just fell out of interest in it though as time went on.
                Well its widely agreed that Seasons 1 and 2 were the shows best while 3, 4 and 5 were pretty bad all around. Good to see you here, Fifth.
                sigpic
                "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Well its widely agreed that Seasons 1 and 2 were the shows best while 3, 4 and 5 were pretty bad all around. Good to see you here, Fifth.
                  Thank you. Glad to be here.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The show could have evolved, They could have kept the ideas comming and not made it an all out war with the Kromagg's, Since season 2 "invasion" I think the bad guys became and i rarely use this word Sh*t and that better ideas could have been thought up.

I haven't seen the show in a while but was there an episode where where by an scientific experiment all the population of the human race slipped to another Earth and that only one person was left, the other world was overcrowded and suffering because, i always doubt that thought sometimes, but there are a few episodes that have always stuck with me
                    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Did anyone ever watch this show?
                      i thought it was quite good although i have only seen a hand full of eppisodes
                      sigpic

Comment

I loved Sliders. I have seen every episode. They did start to go down hill toward the end and really turned bad when the O'Connell brothers left the show. The last season was... well it just wasn't sliders to me anymore.

Comment

cool, i think when i have no sg1, atlantis and farscape left ill be going for this!
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah Sliders was good at first but did go downhill near the end.

Kari Wuhrer is a good a reson as any to watch it.

Comment

I did watch sliders but near the end i stoped watching. It really got crap
                              sigpic

Comment

To paraphrase conventional fan thinking on Sliders ;

the first two seasons were awesome, the third slipped big-time, the fourth redeemed it a bit but still not like the old days and the fifth did not deserve to see the light of day.

However, the third season got me hooked and i love Sliders to death. Whilst i am somewhat wary of the fifth season, i will watch it if and when i get access to it.

So, which of the Sliders was your favourite ?

Comment

Working...
                                X