Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sliders Appreciation Thread

OOOOh yeah, don't get me started on Aussie networks...ESP 7...but, to it's credit, TV1 does a damn good job airing sci-fi shows and movies, compared to the other networks at least. Which is why I'm remiaing hopeful that sliders wil soon return.

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
    Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
    Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Jerry O'Connell is a jaxkass. Everytime I see him on TV he's being a rude snotty *****. He won't do Sliders without his lame ass brother that can't act either.

Chief Master Sergeant

Default Sliders should return to the air

With the current serialized format of many TV shows, if a new version of Sliders was put on and adopted it, I believe it would be very successful. The downfall of that show was the Kromaggs and without a desire for more action they wouldn't be necessary.

Default Re: Sliders should return to the air

"Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Chief Master Sergeant

I posted this to another thread but was directed here.

With the current serialized format of many TV shows, if a new version of Sliders was put on and adopted it, I believe it would be very successful. The downfall of that show was the Kromaggs and without a desire for more action they wouldn't be necessary.

Yep, I found the Kromaggs and this need for a "bad guy" in the show to be one of the show's mistakes. Fox undoubtablely pressured the writers into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Descent
    Yep, I found the Kromaggs and this need for a "bad guy" in the show to be one of the show's mistakes. Fox undoubtablely pressured the writers into it.
    Actually there was only one episode that had the Kromaggs in it while Sliders was on FOX. That episode was "Invasion". It wasn't until FOX canceled the show and SCI-FI picked it up that the Kromaggs became the recurring villians. Plus on top of that the Kromaggs were given a radical make-over into "more conventional" villians and didn't resemble the evolved Ape Kromaggs we met in "Invasion". If Fox pushed for a villian that would have been more in season 3 with Colonel Rickman.

Chief Master Sergeant Cat_the_Alien's Avatar

Man, Sliders is old school. I remember watching it when it was first run, on Saturday afternoons, when I was around 12-ish. That show was so bad, but I enjoyed it. I've gotten my hands on seasons 1 - 4, and I'm slowly making my way through.

Jerry O'Connell was (and still is) a cutie, even if he's an a** in real life.

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

I just watched an episode of Sliders again last week, hadn´t seen any episode since they aired on TV. It was a good episode and made me remember why I watched this series in the first place.

Oh the good old days back in the day of Bill clinton and the Conservatives aka John major in power here in the UK wow i used to love this show, still do of course and will probably buy the DVDs to feel nastalgic for a while, was such a good show.

Some of the episodes that always stuck with me and popped up again whenever i watched "Armageddon" and all those movies was the episode with the Asteroid on it's way to earth, i liked the way each Earth had it's own problems and it's highs and good points, another i think was in season 3 where the group go to a rondom Earth and some or one of them begins to sufforcate becuase the air on the planet is not what they are used to or something.

I'm really thinking hard here to remember all the good episodes that stuck with me before i hit the hard times and stopped watching it
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

I remember that the last episode I saw ended with them sliding to a world where the city had been evacuated because a giant swarm of insects were about to destroy it. If I remember correctly they saw a TV news broadcast that said something like "May god have mercy on those still in the city". Does anyone here remember what episode this was or more importantly what the next episode is?

This has been bugging me for some time, I tried going through an episode guide but couldn´t find anything that sounded right.

A real shame the Series never got to be what the original idea was aiming for, the series could very well have done 10 seasons if the ideas were there before hand and the characters were handled carefully, but due to money issues they just made an abomination of a show that was so original and unique that like shows such as "Stargate" that were also unique Sliders could have made history and who knowns a spin off could be on this friday night in prime time with a huge fanbase perhaps.......i wonder if things were different maybe in another world or lifetime....
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar
    A real shame the Series never got to be what the original idea was aiming for, the series could very well have done 10 seasons if the ideas were there before hand and the characters were handled carefully, but due to money issues they just made an abomination of a show that was so original and unique that like shows such as "Stargate" that were also unique Sliders could have made history and who knowns a spin off could be on this friday night in prime time with a huge fanbase perhaps.......i wonder if things were different maybe in another world or lifetime....
    It is very unfortunate. Again, I think Fox is one of the main reasons Sliders wasn't a big success. They pushed the series away from its social commentary, and exploration of scientific theories and various philosophies in order to focus more on cheap action, sex appeal and ripoffs of science fiction films.

The series co-creator, Tracy Tormé, has often been critical of the direction the series took after he lost control of it. Tormé wanted the end of an episode to be linked to the beginning of the next episode, but he claimed that Fox did not allow him to do this because they wanted to air the episodes in their preferred order, and that linking episodes would force them to air them in Tormé's order. He also felt that this screwed up the show's continuity.

He claimed that Fox wanted an action-oriented show based on popular movies where it is intended that the viewer forgets what has been seen five minutes later. He also claimed that Fox did not want anything intellectual or political, and that they didn't want satire. He said he was embarrassed by the third season.

Tormé said that by the third season, all his allies had been fired, the other executive producers, the network, and the studio all wanted to go in a direction that he disagreed with and by that time he had gotten tired of fighting battles with the network, so he walked away from the show.

David Peckinpah was brought to the series in the third season (around the time when Tracy Tormé started to criticize the show). Peckinpah has been criticized by fans of the show who argue that Peckinpah's involvement caused the show to "jump the shark".

Seasons four and five have their fanbases; some even called four the best since the first two (largely due to Jerry O'Connell becoming a writer and producer for the series, although this was itself an albatross as it led to the casting of the much disliked Charlie O'Connell).

Maggots? You mean the Kromagg right? Yeah, she was taken to a Kromagg farm to be tested upon, raped, etc. How very nice of the writers...oh yeah, she'd wanna come back after they did THAT.

Ugh, I just accept that Season 4 and 5 aren't canon. I do sadly accept The Exodus (as crappy as it was) as canon because theres a good chance that it wasn't our professor that died (cause of what happened in "Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome").
    They did that?!
    God, I'm glad I stopped watching the show before that happens.
    I think.
    I survived season 3 somehow.... only watched season 4 on and off.... and yeah, by the end of season 5 I was glad it wa sput out of its misery. A shame, tho, as seaosns 1-2 are one of the best science fiction shows ever!

ETA: interesting info about what happened in the show, Descent, thanks. Truely a shame.

(and, er... I actually liked the first episode with the Kromaggs... but just the first).
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

If Fox kept the show I hear that it would have been Jerry and the woman trying to find their way home after they slide into "the future".

And I doubt the show would have continued 10 years. I think it would have ended in 5-7 because there is only so much "What ifs" people care about and after awhile the non-geek crowd would have left.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

I definitely enjoyed the first few seasons of this show. Just fell out of interest in it though as time went on.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man
    I definitely enjoyed the first few seasons of this show. Just fell out of interest in it though as time went on.
    Well its widely agreed that Seasons 1 and 2 were the shows best while 3, 4 and 5 were pretty bad all around. Good to see you here, Fifth.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Well its widely agreed that Seasons 1 and 2 were the shows best while 3, 4 and 5 were pretty bad all around. Good to see you here, Fifth.
    Thank you. Glad to be here.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

The show could have evolved, They could have kept the ideas comming and not made it an all out war with the Kromagg's, Since season 2 "invasion" I think the bad guys became and i rarely use this word Sh*t and that better ideas could have been thought up.

I haven't seen the show in a while but was there an episode where where by an scientific experiment all the population of the human race slipped to another Earth and that only one person was left, the other world was overcrowded and suffering because, i always doubt that thought sometimes, but there are a few episodes that have always stuck with me

Default Sliders

Did anyone ever watch this show?
    i thought it was quite good although i have only seen a hand full of eppisodes