This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

season break

just out of curiosity, why do they do the season break? why not just continue the season straight through?
    "So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure, how amazingly unlikely is your birth! And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth!"

TPTB need time to film or complete the other episodes.

This pic was made by the Hyper-Intelligent being known as.....Metarock Sam!

Spoiler:

This fabulous sig made by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel

Comment

TPTB also like to avoid competing with other prime time shows that are premiering soon. Rather than be drowned out by the competition, they avoid the whole battle entirely with the hiatus.
      SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

They only have 20 episodes to stretch over about 9 months. It occurred to me, that in the US, the season started in mid-July and went through mid-Sept. The DVD's come out in Oct/Nov, then mid-season starts in January and runs I don't know, probably through sometime in March.

I believe the DVDs have already come out in Europe, but their season 2 doesn't start until fall.

Comment

I would also think they would probably like to give the actors a break
          My DVD Collection http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=deathshadow

Comment

All U.S. programs have at least 20 episodes, usually a network will order anywhere between 20-24 episodes per season. The typical American season of television usually runs between September/October to May. Then there are November, February, and May sweeps in which they make the best episodes to lure in more people to watch.

With the usual season, there maybe some reruns here and there, but not in a four to five month block. They usually don't take a hiatus during the regular season, the hiatus is usually during the summer. So I don't know what the reason is on why the Sci Fi channel does the hiatus until January.

I agree with cafine us that they may do so there will not be any competition from other television networks.
            Just sitting here at the computer..typing my life away!

Comment

It also has a lot to do with judging ratings...if a show hasn't been doing particularly well, after the first half, it might find itself dropped...which obviously saves networks money they can throw at other shows instead...

Can't see that ever happening to SG though...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
              "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
                It also has a lot to do with judging ratings...if a show hasn't been doing particularly well, after the first half, it might find itself dropped...which obviously saves networks money they can throw at other shows instead...

Can't see that ever happening to SG though...
                Yeah, I can't see that happening either. Unless there is a significant drop-off in viewership, stargate should be around for some time to come. And I know I'm staying put.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by mgbland
                  They only have 20 episodes to stretch over about 9 months. It occurred to me, that in the US, the season started in mid-July and went through mid-Sept. The DVD's come out in Oct/Nov, then mid-season starts in January and runs I don't know, probably through sometime in March.

I believe the DVDs have already come out in Europe, but their season 2 doesn't start until fall.

i thought there were 22 episodes?
                  "So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure, how amazingly unlikely is your birth! And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth!"

Comment

Originally posted by chipman2382
                    There used to be...they cut it down to 20 in Season 8 when they started producing SGA...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Do they have the long break in Canada, too?
                      *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

i'm pretty sure they don't have the break over seas, but i don't know about canada.

Comment

When is the seasons break going to be? I thoink they'l air 2 or 3 episodes. Does anybody knows that?
                          Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by chipman2382
                            They made 22 episodes from season 1 till season 7 but when they launched Stargate Atlantis they had to reduce it to 20 episodes because actually instead of 22 episodes you get 40 episodes
                            Lord Zedd

Comment

They take a break to keep the show in consciousness of the viewers over a longer period of time. They replay all the episodes and then build up to the second half of the season. Do I like this?, not really, but I understand why they do it. It's actually pretty smart from a marketing aspect.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                              X