This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ori resistance

Why is SG-1 encouraging the Jaffa in last week's episode to resist the Orii when they have no means of protecting them or fighting back yet?

For instance, on that episode on SG-1 a few weeks ago when the Ori caused a plague among the people: SG-1 couldn't find a cure, and all of the people were dying.. it was just by conforming that the people didn't all end up in body bags.

While watching last week's episode, I could just imagine what kind of a slaughterfest would happen if and when the Jaffa humbly told the Ori where they could stick their staffs.

Seems like a moral dilemna to me. Until SG-1 has developed some way to fight back, they shouldn't be sending other worlds to their deaths in the meantime by encouraging them to resist a (so far) unbeatable foe. What do you think?

We do not know the motive of the Orii. If the SGC didnt stop people from converting, then these convertees would attempt to convert others and therefore increase the spread of the Ori to the degree where it would be impossible to fight back.

Also, because we dont know the motive of the Ori, we cant really not fight back. We have to fight morally because the Ori could actually really want us dead (in the name of ascension - like tell EVERYONE that you'll ascend when you'll die and let everyone die for nothing.

Comment

The Jaffa just got done being salves...Why would they want to be slaves again?! They should be able to what they want when they want without worrying about anyone killing them for it.

Comment

Originally posted by mo24
        Seems like a moral dilemna to me. Until SG-1 has developed some way to fight back, they shouldn't be sending other worlds to their deaths in the meantime by encouraging them to resist a (so far) unbeatable foe. What do you think?
        Well, in my opinion, what sg-1 is doing is right. They can't let these people fall victim to the Ori, and risk the Ori's forces growing in our galaxy. While things may seem hopeless now, the peoples of these planets in question should be given all the facts and allowed to choose for themselves.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

When Teal'c and Bra'tac joined SG-1 in trying to defeat the Goa'uld, that too seemed an 'impossible' task... A number of times Teal'c said to renounce the Goa'ulds as Gods, on deaf ears... or by Jaffa who wish to kill either of them.

In the end, it wasn't us who decimated the Goa'uld, but the Replicators. So, even though we are a long way from defeating the Ori... we will acquire means to stop them.

Comment

aka ...The Asgard, Furlings and Nox (after the Ori kick the snot out of them...they may change their minds)

Comment

Originally posted by mo24
              Why is SG-1 encouraging the Jaffa in last week's episode to resist the Orii when they have no means of protecting them or fighting back yet?

For instance, on that episode on SG-1 a few weeks ago when the Ori caused a plague among the people: SG-1 couldn't find a cure, and all of the people were dying.. it was just by conforming that the people didn't all end up in body bags.

While watching last week's episode, I could just imagine what kind of a slaughterfest would happen if and when the Jaffa humbly told the Ori where they could stick their staffs.

I absolutely agree to all of this, it was demonstrated with the plague/virus in episode 5 that we can do nothing to stop the Priors so why are they risking other peoples lives in the same way.

We are recruiting people to fight in a battle they are ill-equipped to fight and they are just going to be lambs to the slaughter.
              Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
              Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
              Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
              Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
              Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

I thought the same thing. What's the point of resisting if you can't do anything to help them? But not doing anything is also wrong. It'd be like watching Hitler come back and try to retake Germany and never saying to the Germans: stop, look what you're doing to yourselves.

It's also a matter of self protection. If the Ori take the rest of the galaxy we'll go down too no matter what our advice to others has been. We're certainly not reccommending anything we don't plan to do ourselves, even if it's a waste of time. But just giving in to the Ori isn't exactly an option either.

The more people give in, the faster the conversion moves along. The more people resist the more likely we'll be able to stall for time and get some help. In fact, "choosing" not to resist could ultimately be more dangerous than resisting; by doing so we may just be refusing our right to help from someone else.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

there's not much that they can do to resist, but they have to do what they can. Never go down with out a fight!

~Sarge

Comment

did you ever learn about the 1960's??? what was the point of all those kids resisting the government? or the 40's 50's what was the point of all the african people in American resisting the police/government its the same thing if youthink about it... from the looks of it, it just doesnt seem right to sit by and let it all happen.. even if there is hardley anything that can be done to stop it.... but its the right thing to do

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

I have nothing against resisting the orii, it goes without saying that stargate command should resist given what we have learned about them, but they arent just simply resisting, they are telling others to resist based on our sketchy knowledge of what the ori intend.

We arent even telling them how best to defend themselves, we're just saying "tell the prior you refuse to worship the Orii" when we know all too well that is exactly what will make the Prior kill them all.

Telling them not to follow the Ori will not work, it'd be a good strategy if we didnt already know that the Ori wish for all who do not follow to be destroyed.

It's like a workforce going on strike, it doesnt work if the company is willing to just fire them all

Comment

Originally posted by Gary83uk
                        Telling them not to follow the Ori will not work, it'd be a good strategy if we didnt already know that the Ori wish for all who do not follow to be destroyed.

It's like a workforce going on strike, it doesnt work if the company is willing to just fire them all
                        But you'll never get the company to change if you always accept what they give you. It's sort of a catch 22. If you resist you die. But if you don't resist, you lose your freedom and reason for living and condemn all your descendants to mental enslavement. Some people think the latter is worse.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                          But you'll never get the company to change if you always accept what they give you. It's sort of a catch 22. If you resist you die. But if you don't resist, you lose your freedom and reason for living and condemn all your descendants to mental enslavement. Some people think the latter is worse.
                          He who secretly worships falsely and runs away, lives to resist his evil godlike oppressors another day.

Daniel is a little too dramatic in my opinion with regards to this ori battle of philosophies thing. Having high ideals is great, standing up for your beliefs is great but tactically stupid in this case (at least so far). Hes making the priors job easy by saying plainly that we will never convert to Origin, if I was a prior I'd be like "hey ok, thanks you just saved me a few years of preaching - now die".

Clearly the Ori would rather have people worshipping them than dead, so play on that, keep them guessing, stall. Whatever they need to do to hold back total anihilation, Daniel is just begging for it.

The jaffa were once fanatical about the Goa'uld, now look at them. We're acting as if the battle is lost as soon as the first person starts worshipping the Ori.

As it stands, my theory is that we will actually convince people that the Ori are evil and should not be worshipped and the Ancients will step in after us having demonstrated what our will is and they will enforce/protect our free will since we will probably be helpless to do so ourselves. At the moment the ancients cant do squat because by their own rules, everyone has the right to make a choice and if they step in now to deal with the Priors/Ori everyone will not have had that choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                            I don't know about that. Sometimes, the order a harsh dictator can bring is better then the chaos that ultimate freedom brings. But I do see your point.
                            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

I actually disagree with the assumption that complete freedom will mean chaos. I think that humans are smart and resourceful enough to band together and function as a unit even in the absence of a ruling structure. Most people say that if the government were to collapse, chaos would take over. I think there will be an initial point of confusion, some people may be unable to cope, others would exploit the situation. But the vast majority of people would find some way to band into communities and take direct action for their own lives. To say that we need the current government structure or a dictator to bring order is coming from only one perspective that there is only one valid type of governance for human societies. Which there isn't...

Comment

Working...
                              X