No announcement yet.

Prodigy (419)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While rewatching this episode, I realized what a missed opportunity it actually represents. It's sad that Hailey only returns once. She should have been a cast member on either SGA or SGU. Possibly the best guest character in all SG series, with a depth and potential unlike any other character. Though she's a *****, I really liked her. She wasn't more annoying than Rodney, anyway.
    Last edited by Heart of Light; 25 May 2011, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heart of Light View Post
      While rewatching this episode, I realized what a missed opportunity it actually represents. It's sad that Hailey only returns once. She should have been a cast member on either SGA or SGU. Possibly the best guest character in all SG series, with a depth and potential unlike any other character. Though she's a *****, I really liked her. She wasn't less annoying than Rodney, anyway.
      I am honestly surprised they never had her on SGA or even SGU.. I think she would have done well in either.

Comment

I'd forgotten how enjoyable this episode was. Hailey was an annoying character but also one that had a ton of potential and depth, so I enjoyed watching her. She portrayed the awe at first seeing the Stargate very well. Great to see Carter at the academy, but Daniel's presence is missed. The off-world story is also a good one - I'd love to have learnt more about the light bugs.

O'Neill really takes his time when dialling the gate at the end. Just get on with it! Also, first appearance of the awesome Dr. Lee!

RATING: 8 out of 10
        Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
          I'd forgotten how enjoyable this episode was. Hailey was an annoying character but also one that had a ton of potential and depth, so I enjoyed watching her. She portrayed the awe at first seeing the Stargate very well. Great to see Carter at the academy, but Daniel's presence is missed. The off-world story is also a good one - I'd love to have learnt more about the light bugs.

O'Neill really takes his time when dialling the gate at the end. Just get on with it! Also, first appearance of the awesome Dr. Lee!
          The episode was more enjoyable than I thought it was, it's not one I re-watch often, but better than I remember it to be. I agree with you about Haley - although she is also a charcter where I wouldn't care if she came back or was never seen again, she did add something extra to the episode, bit of a change of pace and insight to the mission.

I think O'Neill went slowly, so he wouldn't pose as a threat to the bugs, they seemed to be watching him. (Also, it builds tension and all that for the sake of the show )

I just realized today that Dr. Lee made an appearance in the episode. I always thought he came into the picture much later into the show.
          Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

A solid episode.

Have you ever noticed how greatly the effects of a Zat Gun vary, depending on the needs of the storyline? In this episode, Jack shakes it off after several seconds.

Comment

Tuesday night and another ep of SG1...

1. Raised my eyebrows when I clocked that a bonafide four-star general from this reality was in SG1.

2. First impression of Hailey, interesting idea but quite a gamble from Sam.

3. First appearance of Dr Lee. Wasn't expecting him to return.

4. "It doesn't matter who's right". Good lesson to learn particularly as both theories were plausible.

5. Bear in mind that Jack was expecting this zat blast.

OK ep.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                Bear in mind that Jack was expecting this zat blast.
                It shouldn't matter whether he expected it. An electrical charge with a standard effect of unconciousness and (on second zap) death doesn't become ineffective because you're "ready for it."

It didn't really bother me. I was more amused than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                  It shouldn't matter whether he expected it. An electrical charge with a standard effect of unconciousness and (on second zap) death doesn't become ineffective because you're "ready for it."

It didn't really bother me. I was more amused than anything.
                  One of the scientists used smelling salts on Jack just after he was zatted, to bring him round.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                    One of the scientists used smelling salts on Jack just after he was zatted, to bring him round.
                    Yeah, I saw that. He never fully lost consciousness in the first place. The smelling salts were a nice effort, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                      A solid episode.

Have you ever noticed how greatly the effects of a Zat Gun vary, depending on the needs of the storyline? In this episode, Jack shakes it off after several seconds.
                      The commentary addresses this. It's basically the zat gun's operation varies according to the needs of the story.

The three doing the commentary for this episode were hilarious! I'm sure they were imbibing or something, for they were very, very silly. If you have the DVDs, but sure to check it out, especially for the lyrics to the opening.
                      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Finally an episode that mostly takes place offworld. Better than average episode.

So this is the episode where a real life General makes a cameo (he successor (Jumper, I think) will appear in Lost City Part II). I thought I missed the episode.

I love the scene where Teal'c zats Jack on one.

OH, and Bill Dow, his first episode as Dr. Lee.

The Commentary:
                        • This is the infamous one where they sing the lyrics for the theme
                        • Peter, Joe, & Paul were really entertaining during it. It's a Peter DeLuise commentary, of course it's entertaining.
                        • The cadet at the beginning is played by Ivon Bartok (aka the producer of the Stargate Special Features in later season DVD releases).
                        • In the General's office (at the academy), the officer in the picture is Paul Mullie. I can't find a proper close-up capture on GateWorld's Cap Gallery.
                        • This scene and the establishing scene had to be shot twice because of an issue with hats.
                          Spoiler:

Monday, Carter get an Entity in her.
                        sigpic

Comment

Cadet Haley annoyed me when I first watched this. My opinion of her has mellowed considerably since with more viewings of the episode, coupled with her appearance in a later episode. Sam's belief in this lost cause of a cadet makes for a good story as the girl really learns that the universe is a hell of a lot bigger than her little world and sense of intellectual superiority! I like the way she steps up and shows the promise Sam believed in.

The other thing I wondered, rewatching this and the way she analysed things why she wasn't thought of when everyone was at a loss with dialling the ninth chevron in SGU! She seemed as capable as Eli! The fireworks that would have ensued between her and Rush would have made for interesting viewing I'm sure!

Those buzzing light creatures were interesting, good to see another non humanoid alien life form. Jack saying he would never complain about mosquitoes again was funny!

Comment

My LiveJournal post

I'd just like to include something in my LJ post here, just in case you decide to skip it..

It's about the glowy creatures:
                            "Sam and Hailey theorise why they attacked the scientists, killing one of them. Sam thinks they might have been angry about one of them being imprisoned, but Hailey thinks they are simply reacting to the moon's magnetic field, which changes during its orbit. I think this conflict is quite significant, in that Sam's theory is influenced by the fact that she has been to many worlds and seen many alien creatures which many may assume not to be intelligent or sentient, but it turns out they are, or at least there's more to them than first thought. Hailey doesn't have that experience so she draws from her scientific knowledge and experience."

Is this a valid point? Is there something in this, or am I overthinking things again?
                            "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                            "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                            "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                            "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                            >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

It's a valid point.
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I said on 3! Makes me laugh every time. Teal'c can be evil when he wants to be.

Haley still annoys me.

Better than average ep.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X