Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Prodigy (419)

Default Re: Prodigy (419)

Tuesday night and another ep of SG1...

1. Raised my eyebrows when I clocked that a bonafide four-star general from this reality was in SG1.

2. First impression of Hailey, interesting idea but quite a gamble from Sam.

3. First appearance of Dr Lee. Wasn't expecting him to return.

4. "It doesn't matter who's right". Good lesson to learn particularly as both theories were plausible.

5. Bear in mind that Jack was expecting this zat blast.

OK ep.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
    Bear in mind that Jack was expecting this zat blast.
    It shouldn't matter whether he expected it. An electrical charge with a standard effect of unconciousness and (on second zap) death doesn't become ineffective because you're "ready for it."

It didn't really bother me. I was more amused than anything.

Ruffler Extraordinaire dipsofjazz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    It shouldn't matter whether he expected it. An electrical charge with a standard effect of unconciousness and (on second zap) death doesn't become ineffective because you're "ready for it."

It didn't really bother me. I was more amused than anything.
    One of the scientists used smelling salts on Jack just after he was zatted, to bring him round.
    <a href=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dipsofjazz/media/sig%20pics/77ab48d9-1023-48cf-8782-b3dadf52b3fe.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/dipsofjazz/sig%20pics/77ab48d9-1023-48cf-8782-b3dadf52b3fe.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...dadf52b3fe.jpg</a></a>

Quote Originally Posted by dipsofjazz View Post
    One of the scientists used smelling salts on Jack just after he was zatted, to bring him round.
    Yeah, I saw that. He never fully lost consciousness in the first place. The smelling salts were a nice effort, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    A solid episode.

Have you ever noticed how greatly the effects of a Zat Gun vary, depending on the needs of the storyline? In this episode, Jack shakes it off after several seconds.
    The commentary addresses this. It's basically the zat gun's operation varies according to the needs of the story.

The three doing the commentary for this episode were hilarious! I'm sure they were imbibing or something, for they were very, very silly. If you have the DVDs, but sure to check it out, especially for the lyrics to the opening.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

DVDs Re: Prodigy (419)

Finally an episode that mostly takes place offworld. Better than average episode.

So this is the episode where a real life General makes a cameo (he successor (Jumper, I think) will appear in Lost City Part II). I thought I missed the episode.

I love the scene where Teal'c zats Jack on one.

OH, and Bill Dow, his first episode as Dr. Lee.

The Commentary:
    • This is the infamous one where they sing the lyrics for the theme
    • Peter, Joe, & Paul were really entertaining during it. It's a Peter DeLuise commentary, of course it's entertaining.
    • The cadet at the beginning is played by Ivon Bartok (aka the producer of the Stargate Special Features in later season DVD releases).
    • In the General's office (at the academy), the officer in the picture is Paul Mullie. I can't find a proper close-up capture on GateWorld's Cap Gallery.
    • This scene and the establishing scene had to be shot twice because of an issue with hats.
      Spoiler:

Monday, Carter get an Entity in her.

Cadet Haley annoyed me when I first watched this. My opinion of her has mellowed considerably since with more viewings of the episode, coupled with her appearance in a later episode. Sam's belief in this lost cause of a cadet makes for a good story as the girl really learns that the universe is a hell of a lot bigger than her little world and sense of intellectual superiority! I like the way she steps up and shows the promise Sam believed in.

The other thing I wondered, rewatching this and the way she analysed things why she wasn't thought of when everyone was at a loss with dialling the ninth chevron in SGU! She seemed as capable as Eli! The fireworks that would have ensued between her and Rush would have made for interesting viewing I'm sure!

Those buzzing light creatures were interesting, good to see another non humanoid alien life form. Jack saying he would never complain about mosquitoes again was funny!

My LiveJournal post

I'd just like to include something in my LJ post here, just in case you decide to skip it..

It's about the glowy creatures:
    "Sam and Hailey theorise why they attacked the scientists, killing one of them. Sam thinks they might have been angry about one of them being imprisoned, but Hailey thinks they are simply reacting to the moon's magnetic field, which changes during its orbit. I think this conflict is quite significant, in that Sam's theory is influenced by the fact that she has been to many worlds and seen many alien creatures which many may assume not to be intelligent or sentient, but it turns out they are, or at least there's more to them than first thought. Hailey doesn't have that experience so she draws from her scientific knowledge and experience."

Is this a valid point? Is there something in this, or am I overthinking things again?
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

It's a valid point.

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

I said on 3! Makes me laugh every time. Teal'c can be evil when he wants to be.

Haley still annoys me.

Better than average ep.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    The other thing I wondered, rewatching this and the way she analysed things why she wasn't thought of when everyone was at a loss with dialling the ninth chevron in SGU! She seemed as capable as Eli! The fireworks that would have ensued between her and Rush would have made for interesting viewing I'm sure!
    That is such a great point! Oh...I wish they had thought of that when making SGU...the actress was quite good, and Haley's personality and stature would have lead to some interesting conflicts & assumptions (she's so petite & looks all of 12 years old!).

Quote Originally Posted by Jae'a View Post
    My LiveJournal post

I'd just like to include something in my LJ post here, just in case you decide to skip it..

It's about the glowy creatures:
    "Sam and Hailey theorise why they attacked the scientists, killing one of them. Sam thinks they might have been angry about one of them being imprisoned, but Hailey thinks they are simply reacting to the moon's magnetic field, which changes during its orbit. I think this conflict is quite significant, in that Sam's theory is influenced by the fact that she has been to many worlds and seen many alien creatures which many may assume not to be intelligent or sentient, but it turns out they are, or at least there's more to them than first thought. Hailey doesn't have that experience so she draws from her scientific knowledge and experience."

Is this a valid point? Is there something in this, or am I overthinking things again?
    Valid point...nice food for thought -thanks for including it!

I'm only annoyed by Hailey because the writers cast her as annoying as a plot device. When you see her in 'Proving Ground' later, it gives you a different perspective on her personality and developement. I like her. I think she was an under-utilitzed secondary character, and I wish we had seen more of her (I'm going to include her in some fic that I write).

I imagine that as part of the SGC, she and Sam probably did research togther -I can see Sam becoming a kind of mentor to her.

sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Major

Quote Originally Posted by SaraBahama View Post
    I'm only annoyed by Hailey because the writers cast her as annoying as a plot device. When you see her in 'Proving Ground' later, it gives you a different perspective on her personality and development.
    By the time of Proving Ground, thanks in part to the events in Prodigy, she has lost the chip on her shoulder. I've known people under similar circumstances, both before and after the chipectomy. Believe me, it's like a complete personality transplant. She's not the same person in PG as she was in plain P (when she was a plain Pain).

Seaboe

A lot people didn't like Cadet Hailey that much. I guess I am not one of those people. She is hardly anything to praise about but is nothing anything to complain about. The character is a plot device of what she is meant to be. That being a plot device for Carter to serve as a prodige. Maybe its the setting but I just like seeing this different side of Sam being superior and giving the orders for once. As for the light aliens it was something new that to mean that was interesting. Kind of wish we could of have seen more of them instead of them turning crazy. We never did find out who was right. Wish we would have seen what caused the light aliens to turn homocidal.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by Jae'a View Post
    Sam thinks they might have been angry about one of them being imprisoned, but Hailey thinks they are simply reacting to the moon's magnetic field, which changes during its orbit. I think this conflict is quite significant, in that Sam's theory is influenced by the fact that she has been to many worlds and seen many alien creatures which many may assume not to be intelligent or sentient, but it turns out they are, or at least there's more to them than first thought. Hailey doesn't have that experience so she draws from her scientific knowledge and experience.
    That's a good point. Figuring out the little energy beings may be partly a matter of physics; but it's also a matter of dealing with aliens, and obviously Sam has a lot of experience with that. I mean, earlier in this season SG-1 met sentient water... if that happened to me I'm sure I'd spend the next several months feeling like all sorts of creatures and objects could be watching me and... judging me...

The first time I saw this ep I thought Hailey was going to be a recurring character in the future, after all that setup. I think she would've been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by syncline View Post
    That's a good point. Figuring out the little energy beings may be partly a matter of physics; but it's also a matter of dealing with aliens, and obviously Sam has a lot of experience with that. I mean, earlier in this season SG-1 met sentient water... if that happened to me I'm sure I'd spend the next several months feeling like all sorts of creatures and objects could be watching me and... judging me...

The first time I saw this ep I thought Hailey was going to be a recurring character in the future, after all that setup. I think she would've been interesting.
    That's why I think I'm going to incorporate her into my fic...I had the same feeling about her...

sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Quote Originally Posted by SaraBahama View Post
    That's why I think I'm going to incorporate her into my fic...I had the same feeling about her...
    Hailey has been in several fics that I've enjoyed. The authors did well with her.

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    Hailey has been in several fics that I've enjoyed. The authors did well with her.
    Hey, hedwig! Recommendations? If you can remember the fics? (PM me if you want...)

sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Chief Master Sergeant

The girl was annoying at first then not so much after she saw the SGC ;D
    Good episode.

Awful, awful episode. For my money, it's the worst episode of the entire series, worse even than "Emancipation" and by God that's saying something. I lack the vocabulary to describe how intensely irritating I find Jennifer Hailey is. She's a snot nosed little brat whose even worse than Wesley Crusher at his own most annoying. She returns in "Proving Ground", another episode in my bottom ten. The whole science vs. the military subplot and the little glowing alien thing were just plain boring as opposed to awful. Too bad the alien swarm didn't kill Hailey. Its only redeeming feature is that it introduces Dr. Lee, who would become one of the series' best recurring characters in Seasons 7-10 as well as appearing in occasional episodes of Atlantis and Universe.

Along with "The Light" and "Entity", this constitutes part of a trio of consecutive episodes which I call the Trilogy of Terror as they're all so, so bad.
    Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926)

I have no country to fight for. My country is the Earth. I am a citizen of the world.

When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong.

pretty "meh" ep with some nice parts. Love a real live USAF general being in it - so cute
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast