Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Prodigy (419)

Default Re: Prodigy (419)

I just saw this episode for the first time, and really loved it. It's great to see the interaction between Carter and Haley. Haley is obnoxious to Carter but Carter doesn't see it as a threat. She takes an active role in mentoring Haley, and Haley respects her for it. I like that Haley is smart and competent, and proud of herself, and while she learns some lessons in the episode, she's allowed to stay that way. Even in Proving Ground she retains that kind of confidence that we don't really get to see in most female characters because it is too close to arrogance, which is considered horribly unattractive in women even if McKay can carry it off.

It's fascinating to watch just how obnoxious Haley is - not just to Sam, but to pretty much everyone around her.

There's no doubting her supreme braininess - just from watching her spot that mistake in the huge whiteboard-full of gobbledigook you realise that she's someone pretty remarkable (fortunately, for the rest of humanity, Sam then goes and points it out to us and explains why it's such a fundamental mistake). Unfortunately, this brain is so heavy that she appears to require a massive chip on each shoulders to support her head.

Mind you, if you were being continually compared to some former Paragon-Cadet-Of-The-Past, wouldn't you feel a bit peeved? Unless you were scoring better, of course...

She could have been McKays long lost relative! She was so similar to him in certain ways. (I think he's a bit young to have a lovechild)
    She did a good job of getting on our nerves at the start...ok and the middle but by the end I was warming to her, I was hoping at the time that they would include her in more episodes,because her and sam were good together.

Good episode which introduces Haley, however there is a major goof when Sam and Haley go through the gate its Sam Haley when they come out its Haley Sam!!! Peter Deluise takes full responsibilty so shoot him not the messenger!!! lol

Second Lieutenant

HEY SGC!!!!! Number one is when Teal'c and jack are fishing!!!! LOL, anyways I thought this episode was pretty good, IMHO

This ep was good for basically showing us that there is someone who is even smarter than Sam and she is younger.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Really hated Haley in the beginning. She wasn't so bad at the end though. Highlight of the episode for me was Teal'c zatting Jack. Priceless.
    "I killed a city once. Funny story." - Wolverine

I thought Hailey was still annoying at the end of the episode. It was a complete character change for her in Proving Ground, where she seemed like a normal, nice human being.
    SQUEE like no one's listening.

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow1 Re: Prodigy (419)

Well alot can change over a short period of time.

True. It's inevitable that she's still going to have that chip on her shoulder at the end of the ep - after all, she's just had a very brief taste of what her potential future could be in the USAF so the dust is still settling a bit.

Now that she's got something to aim at that is sufficiently challenging to a youngster of her intellect, I suspect changes will be pretty rapid. After all, the one thing she isn't going to want to do now is get herself chucked out of the Academy over something stupid (like breaking someone's nose!)and deny herself a place on the Stargate Programme.

yeah personally i liked the one where they had the test at the SGC with her that was a great episode

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by littlemigueljr View Post
    I wonder if Haily was right at the end, anyone wonder as well?
    That would put a 'sticker'; in sams butt..

As to me. while it was a good ep it was not great... Also, i wonder why they 'made it' a female who was the smart one.. like carter. It seems to me, they are always 'down playing the males' in that regard - felger, dr lee, heck even rodney.

That's an interesting point - it does seem to end up being that way a lot of the time. Very few of the male scientists we have seen in or around the SGC have been either as brainy as or (if they are equivalent in the intellectual stakes) well adjusted or 'grown up' as Sam!

Mind you, Hailey has her own problems here. She's childish, resentful, self-righteously arrogant and quite unwilling to accept responsibility for her own behaviour. Before she does anything else, she really does need to grow up a bit herself.

The 'why couldn't Hailey have been male' question is one that I have been sitting here for an hour trying construct a reply to that doesn't seem contrived or overly simplistic. There's the 'Sam sees shades of herself in Hailey' argument, I suppose, or the 'wouldn't we just assume that a male Hailey's resentment is down to his being unable to handle the fact that there's a woman who is cleverer than him?' argument.

Put simply? I dunno.

Kept me occupied over my lunchtime sarnies, though...

To Bill or not to Bill...

I was watching this the other day and realised - "hey! it's Dr Bill Lee!!!" But then I was mightily confused as a scientist named "Bill" bought it from the KILLER MOSQUITOS and no one addressed Bill Dow's character to his face. After another couple of watchings, I discerned that the "Dr Lee" who built the shield thingy was in fact Bill Dow's character.

However, his first name was not mentioned...so in hindsight on that moon there were two Bills - Bill Thompson and Bill Lee. I know this may sound really stupid to some people but it was...somewhat...fun...to discover.

PS: I love this episode. ^_^

Chief Master Sergeant

Here's the clip (on youtube) of the DVD commentary with them singing the Stargate themesong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqDE8kocoTI

Down through the years, i never watched any stargate at all.
    I dunno, just never got into it, and the channels here in Ireland rarely aired the show.
    but now Iv got all 10 seasons of SG-1 and all 4 seasons of Atlantis and am going to watch them all in order.
    I started about a month ago, and the latest episode Iv watched (this morning) was this one, again another class episode.
    Iv got a long way to go yet and I'm absolutely addicted!!
    and also intend on watching the two movies, trailer of continuum looks class and am already interest about Stargate Universe, it sounds good even though they havent started making it yet.....

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow2 Re: Prodigy (419)

That was very cool that General Ryan, came onto the show, I didn't know that it was the real general Ryan until today which was my third or forth time seeing it. I didn't care for Jennifer Hailey very much, there was something about her that was kind of annoying. On the other hand theres something about Major Griff that I really like, it's a shame he was only in this episode for a few moments. We also meet Dr. Lee for the first time and even though he isn't in his normal character that we will meet later, it's fun to look back. In general this episode was rather flat, there just wasn't enough storyline and way too many secondhand characters.

Quote Originally Posted by captain jake View Post
    On the other hand theres something about Major Griff that I really like, it's a shame he was only in this episode for a few moments.
    He was like the new Colonel Makepeace, except Griff didn't turn out to be an NID agent...

Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Chief Master Sergeant HelloVelo's Avatar

Sam found her mini-me.

Rating: 4/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2008/07/prodigy.html
    My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
    http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG8 View Post
    Down through the years, i never watched any stargate at all.
    I dunno, just never got into it, and the channels here in Ireland rarely aired the show.
    but now Iv got all 10 seasons of SG-1 and all 4 seasons of Atlantis and am going to watch them all in order.
    I started about a month ago, and the latest episode Iv watched (this morning) was this one, again another class episode.
    Iv got a long way to go yet and I'm absolutely addicted!!
    and also intend on watching the two movies, trailer of continuum looks class and am already interest about Stargate Universe, it sounds good even though they havent started making it yet.....
    oi! i'm the same! i only started last month also. but i only have the complete sg1 and the ark of truth. i haven't bought continuum yet. i have finished up to season 7. just started season 8. i'm not sure if i'll like atlantis since jack is not there.

regarding this episode, haley annoyed me a bit. i found her arrogant. i found the academy part boring. the off-world scene is much better.

i love jack's reaction to general ryan and when he got zatted by tealc. so brave and selfless for volunteering to go out and dial the gate.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast