This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In defense of Mitchell (Spoilers)

I have seen many people complaining about Mitchell within these threads. People have said he is too green, unprofessional, unmilitary-like, etc. Now, I know I am going to be flamed from here to next Christmas for saying this but,

OH MY GOD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?

O'Neill was the biggest joke as a military Colonel AND General that I have ever seen in my life! I remember when SG1 first came to Fox, and how excited I was. I had loved the movie. Then came the day of the first episode. O'Neill was an insult to the military! The way he talked to his superiors (and subordinates), the way he carried himself, his lack of respect for ... well ... EVERYTHING! It was a huge disappointment for me. I didn't tune in to SG1 again until 2002. Case in point, my father, who is a HUGE SciFi fan, refuses to the this day to watch SG1 because of O'Neill. He had been in the Air Force, and he spent his entire career in the government, constantly surrounded by military presence. He describes O'Neill as an idiot and says that no one with O'Neill's attitude would have ever made it to the rank of Colonel.

When I did tune in again, SG1 was more like a team. Yes, O'Neill was still a joke as an officer, but at least Carter was there to fill in the holes. And I loved the characters of Teal'c and Daniel. I started watching every episode I could, and grew to love the show.

Now, Mitchell. I think the biggest problem with Mitchell is that tptb are trying to dumb him down like they did with O'Neill, but it isn't believable with BB. I am hoping against hope that tptb will give BB more freedom to mold Mitchell into a believable and likeable character. He isn't O'Neill (thank God), and I don't think any of the fans want him to be.

Mitchell has a lot of experience--command experience. I wish tptb would let him show it. Yes, he has a good sense of humor, and if Sam, Daniel and Teal'c weren't so crabby this season, they would enjoy it.

For example: Mitchell talking at the beginning of Babylon. Finally, someone on SG1 besides Jonas showing some enthusiasm for being off world!! When Teal'c told him to be quiet, he was quiet. He did NOT start speaking again until Teal'c said "it was nothing" (or something like that). As for Mitchell wondering if Teal'c was putting him on, Teal'c has done so in the past, it was a legitimate question.

I don't know anything about shooting a P-90 from the hip. But I do wonder why it would less effective for Mitchell to do it than Teal'c? Doesn't make much sense to me ...

And to the detractors who have called Mitchell a "country bumpkin" or something like that. Whatever. Maybe he is being humble in the presence of the infamous SG1 team? He obviously respects them very much. When the situation calls for him to command, he commands. Otherwise, he remains humble. In my opinion, that’s better than being a sarcastic prick all the time.

So, what does everyone else think?

**Opens all doors, then runs and hides**
    Teal'c--what's with the hair?

What? You don't like O'Neill? Shame on you!!!

And people don't have to hate O'Neill in order to like Mitchell. Well except for you maybe. I love O'Neill and Mitchell.

Comment

I'm a fan of both. O'Neill as General still was sketchy though.

Comment

Well that's certainly a ...different opinion of the O'Neill character. If he is such an insult to the Air Force, than why would the actual Air Force Chief of Staff, General John P. Jumper, present RDA with an award and make him an honourary brigadier general for portraying the Air Force in a positive light? But I'm sure your Dad knows better...

As far as what you said about Cam, I do think his character has potential, and I am glad they are making him different from O'Neill. I hope they get a chance to continue to develop him.
        "Well, my days of not taking you
        seriously are certainly coming to a
        middle."

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr

I don't know anything about shooting a P-90 from the hip. But I do wonder why it would less effective for Mitchell to do it than Teal'c? Doesn't make much sense to me ...
          this is the only part I can comment on; teal'c was firing a much larger weapon that's designed to be shot from the hip. with a high rate of fire and larger rounds, accuracy isn't as important as laying down a massive wave of bullets

Actually, I should clarify. It's not designed to be shot from the hip but made to do so easier then lifting it to a proper aiming position. It's designed to be fired while lying prone and with the gun supported by a bipod under the barrel. Mitchell was firing his P90 incorrectly, no two ways about it. It's not a big deal or anything, but one of my favorite things to nitpick about is improper firearm use in movies and tv.

Comment

WHAT!!! SHOLVAAAAAH!!!!! (MOTHER IS HOLDING ME BACK FROM SMASHING THE monitor) (CALMS DOWN).

I think that your view of O'neill is extremely ridiculous. He is incredibly jovial and sometimes disrespectful, yes. But he is the perfect example of a soldier (or airman in this case). To say that he is a disgrace is a....Disgrace. (smashes monitor).
            Last edited by Kelt'ar; 15 September 2005, 06:05 AM.
            1 Year 11mths without using the letter U on the thread: ask Morbo anything

Comment

Originally posted by Kelt'ar
              But he is the perfect example of a soldier (or airman in this case).
              while I don't think the character is a disgrace....are you serious with this line? :wtf: have you ever met an air force colonel?

Comment

Originally posted by FeloniousMonk
                while I don't think the character is a disgrace....are you serious with this line? :wtf: have you ever met an air force colonel?
                Jack is nowhere near the perfect officer. Watch Shades of Grey when Hammond reads out his record.
                However, I do think he's a good officer.
                Mitchell is too, and I think, given the chance, that he'll do a good job.
                As to the P90 thing, it's a minor flaw. Let's let it go.
                As to Mitchell covering when Teal'c had the gun for that, I said it on another thread and I'll say it again.
                Teal'c was walking point becuase his gun is ALSO useful for openeing a path as well as support fire.
                Now, if I was mitchell, ambushed, with an unknown number of enemies between me and the gate, I would keep Teal'c on point, so increasing my teams' chances of reaching the gate.

Comment

O'niell is arrogant but then again, he is usually right when dealing with milataristic operations. as for oniell being dumb, the tbtp have hinted, and we have that he is a very smart man. he just plays dumb. but most of all the bottom line is that when offworld and on missions, he can make important judgements, never gives up and never leaves a man behind. he is a good soldier.

Comment

[color=black]O'Neill was the biggest joke as a military Colonel AND General that I have ever seen in my life!

I know nothing about the military, but always wondered how someone with O'Neill's casual--not to mention disrespectful--attitude could make it to his rank. I always attributed it to the fact that maybe his missions usually succeeded, so he got results. But it was interesting to hear that your Dad, a career military man, couldn't watch the show because O'Neill was so out of line most of the time.

Of course, the show is, well, a show, and despite the claims of "reality" (which I have disputed many times on the forum to a less than happy reception!) it picks and chooses what areas of real life it wants to emulate closely. O'Neill might not have made it in the "real" air force, but he follows in the great American tradition of characters who make their own rules--cowboys, cops, PIs. We see it in the movies all the time. It's part of our mythology. I also suspect that RDA shaped the character he was comfortable with, rather than shaping his performance to the character as originally written in the movie. It might not be real, but it was entertaining. At least for me. I can see where someone who wants more reality might be disappointed, though. I get real every day just looking out my window, so less real is fine by me.

Now, Mitchell. I think the biggest problem with Mitchell is that tptb are trying to dumb him down like they did with O'Neill, but it isn't believable with BB. I am hoping against hope that tptb will give BB more freedom to mold Mitchell into a believable and likeable character. He isn't O'Neill (thank God), and I don't think any of the fans want him to be.
                    Well, a lot of fans keep comparing the two, which makes me wonder...I think the biggest problem with Mitchell is that outside of Babylon he hasn't been given enough screen time to communicate much of anything. We're all scrambling to hold up a line here, a look there, to give us insight. We just need to see more of him.

Mitchell has a lot of experience--command experience. I wish tptb would let him show it.

They're too terrified of turning off RDA fans who complained early on that they didn't want the show to turn into the Cam Mitchell show. As if it wasn't the RDA show...

Yes, he has a good sense of humor, and if Sam, Daniel and Teal'c weren't so crabby this season, they would enjoy it.

LOL! Crabby is a good word...

[color=black]For example: Mitchell talking at the beginning of Babylon. Finally, someone on SG1 besides Jonas showing some enthusiasm for being off world!!
                    Yeah, I liked that part, too. But, you know, going to other planets, fighting aliens...it can be so ho-hum.

And to the detractors who have called Mitchell a "country bumpkin" or something like that. Whatever. Maybe he is being humble in the presence of the infamous SG1 team? He obviously respects them very much. When the situation calls for him to command, he commands. Otherwise, he remains humble. In my opinion, that’s better than being a sarcastic prick all the time.
                    Love your attitude, dude. Yeah, it's nice to see a bit of optimism, even naivete, if that's what it is. Will be interesting to see whether or not that changes for Cam. Whether or not Cooper/Wright will give him enough screen time for us to see what happens.

[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by FeloniousMonk
                      this is the only part I can comment on; teal'c was firing a much larger weapon that's designed to be shot from the hip. with a high rate of fire and larger rounds, accuracy isn't as important as laying down a massive wave of bullets

Actually, I should clarify. It's not designed to be shot from the hip but made to do so easier then lifting it to a proper aiming position. It's designed to be fired while lying prone and with the gun supported by a bipod under the barrel. Mitchell was firing his P90 incorrectly, no two ways about it. It's not a big deal or anything, but one of my favorite things to nitpick about is improper firearm use in movies and tv.
                      First off, Mitchell was NOT firing his P90 from the hip. In fact he was firing his P90 in very much the same position as O'Neill did in Allegiance (season 6) and as shown in a P90 promotional video

From this video (made by the manufactuer), there are three positions that the P90 can be fired (time points in the video are also given) :

3:17 - lying down - sighted (this is the most common position) - it can also be sighted while standing.
                      4:26 - stiff arm
                      6:24 - just below chest height (the position Mitchell is using)
                      also view Season 6 Allegiance (at the end) - O'Neill is firing his P90 from just below chest height.

It may appear that he is firing from the hip, but he is in a lower position so that his torso is less exposed. This brings his chest closer to the hip, but he is holding the weapon correctly (below the chest, above the hip).

Bruce
                      Last edited by bmicales; 15 September 2005, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I believe that people have forgotten, although he maybe a great leader, Mitchell came to join SG-1 notto lead it. He wanted to learn from the best. He is still learning from the best, so he will make mistakes. To me leading something like SG-1 is different from leading a fighter squadron.

This is my $.04 worth.

Comment

I liked O'Neill the entire time he was on the show, and I like Mitchell now. I think he needs no defense, and we should see great things out of his character as the show goes on.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                            What? You don't like O'Neill? Shame on you!!!

And people don't have to hate O'Neill in order to like Mitchell. Well except for you maybe. I love O'Neill and Mitchell.
                            I never said I hated O'Neill. I said he is what kept me from watching the show to begin with. If you compare RDA's portrayal of O'Neill to Kurt Russell's in the movie, you will note a very distinct difference. For me, being so in love with the movie, RDA's portrayal (or maybe the WRITERS protrayal) of O'Neill drove me away from the show.

If you reread my post, you may note that I said that, after I started tuning in, I watched every episode I could find. Now, in 2005, (since starting watching in 2002), I have watched every Stargate SG1 episode, from every season, and I have grown to love the show (INCLUDING O'Neill). However, I am not going to sit here and put down an excellent character like Mitchell because of my loyalty to O'Neill or the rest of the team. And I'm not going to try to rewrite history to put O'Neill as the epitome of an Air Force officer and Mitchell as a buffoon because I can't deal with change. In my opinion, change is good. Bringing Mitchell on board as the leader of SG1 (Yes, I think he is the leader over Carter--who I also happen to love--and I am absolutely NOT going to argue my opinion. If you need qualification of my opinion, read Lightsabre's opinion. I completely agree with him) was the best thing they could do. BB is a great actor and he brings a terrific presence to the show. Well, as long as tptb let him, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan28
                              Well that's certainly a ...different opinion of the O'Neill character. If he is such an insult to the Air Force, than why would the actual Air Force Chief of Staff, General John P. Jumper, present RDA with an award and make him an honourary brigadier general for portraying the Air Force in a positive light? But I'm sure your Dad knows better...

As far as what you said about Cam, I do think his character has potential, and I am glad they are making him different from O'Neill. I hope they get a chance to continue to develop him.
                              I don't know ... maybe the same reason Paul McCarthy, Elton John and others have been knighted by the Queen of England?

{Edit: snip}
                              Last edited by sgatelvr; 15 September 2005, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X