Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeyla4ever View Post
    Falcon, John and Teyla are canon.

The writers, the actors, the stunt coordinators, and everyone in the show including Rachel, Joe, Mallozzi and others have repeatedly commented that John and Teyla even after the whole pregnancy and Kanaan, are still very much attracted to one another. Those are not my words, those are their words. They have clearly stated that they played the roles that way. I didn't make this up.

However, you are correct in that according to what Mallozzi has stated, because it's hard to see it on screen with the lack of Teyla, never mind Kanaan, that they are in fact "settled" together, but...whether I like it that way or not, Teyla and John still have an attraction together that goes beyond friendship.

That being said, I didn't realize that this would bring about some heated discussions. I'm hardly in the threads anymore, so the last thing I want to do is cause any problems here, but hey, if it brings this thread back to life, bring it on!!

Kidding!

As for the mods, and for your comment, FH...I've always respected your comments and everyone else's in here, so please don't see this as anything more than what it is, just my opinion...I know that there are ship threads, I frequent two of them, but are you stating that no one here every discusses anything about Rachel/Teyla in regards to her relationship with others, both in and outside of the show?

How can we not talk about Rachel/Teyla's relationship with others when that's how it defines her character and her personality?

Is that what you guys are saying, that no one can comment anything about besides Teyla/Rachel, because if that's true, then we've all made comments that shouldn't have been posted.

Just my two cents.

Camy/Jeyla4ever
    Camy,
    Lets be clear here okay
    Folks can make any comments they want regarding Teyla/Rachel with anyone -we are just making the point that Teyla/Rachel should be the focus and not the *other person or the ship*.

As for your other assertions...well on-screen action from the show is canon - not actor interviews or producer comments - so please don't assert that if someone didn't see the same thing as you or heard/read the same things as you, they *missed* something. Please keep that in the ship threads.

Thanks
    TameFarrar
    GateWorld Moderator
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Hi all,

Just popping in to let everyone know we're having a Holiday Open House over at the Women of the Gate community and would love for you to stop by.

Fics, pics, icons, vids - all are welcome - new or old, festive or not. We're just celebrating the ladies!

We also have a snazzy new poll for the 2010 Ficathon and we're adding character profiles for all the ladies (Teyla's will be up by tomorrow - we're trying not to inundate the flists by posting them all today ).

You'll find the rules for posting, news on the character profiles and the new poll all efficiently included in this single entry here

Merry Christmas!
      sigpic
      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
        As for your other assertions...well on-screen action from the show is canon - not actor interviews or producer comments - so please don't assert that if someone didn't see the same thing as you or heard/read the same things as you, they *missed* something. Please keep that in the ship threads.

Thanks
        TameFarrar
        GateWorld Moderator
        Well said Tame

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
        Hi all,

Just popping in to let everyone know we're having a Holiday Open House over at the Women of the Gate community and would love for you to stop by.

Fics, pics, icons, vids - all are welcome - new or old, festive or not. We're just celebrating the ladies!

We also have a snazzy new poll for the 2010 Ficathon and we're adding character profiles for all the ladies (Teyla's will be up by tomorrow - we're trying not to inundate the flists by posting them all today ).

You'll find the rules for posting, news on the character profiles and the new poll all efficiently included in this single entry here

Merry Christmas!
        Cool, I shall pop by later
        What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Camy,
          Lets be clear here okay
          Folks can make any comments they want regarding Teyla/Rachel with anyone -we are just making the point that Teyla/Rachel should be the focus and not the *other person or the ship*.

Thanks
          TameFarrar
          GateWorld Moderator
          Thank you for clarifying that, Tame. I was under the impression that my comments of John and Teyla's relationship was inappropriate for this thread.

As for my assertions, well, those are actually facts of statements made by those that wrote, created and played the character. Not my opinion. Rachel made the comment and I thought nothing of it to state it here because it is the Rachel thread. If other crew members of the show also make any comments about how the role of Teyla was played and how they wrote her to be, I thought this thread is appropriate for that as well. It's part of understanding the character in depth from the writers, directors, and actors point of view and it gives us, the viewers, a more wholesome look at the character of Teyla that we know and love.

Even what we are stating to be on screen canon can be interpreted differently by the viewer. For example, Teyla and Kanaan. Are they actually living together? How do we know that? Because we've seen Kanaan in Atlantis? How do we know that Teyla and Kanaan are a couple? She has always referred to him as the father of my son....not my boyfriend, or my lover or my husband. Besides the fact that Kanaan is the father of her son, there's nothing else on-screen that defines Teyla and Kanaan's relationship. I totally agree with Linda that this was a horrible thing for Teyla's character. We've seen all the other characters interact romantically with another character except Teyla. Teyla and Kanaan have never even kissed!!!! That is a total disgrace for Teyla's character. There's more to a relationship than having a child with someone. That's easy. Anyone can have a child, but to have a relationship, any kind of relationship, that requires more than simply one common denominator; in this case, a child.

Linda, I'm with you on this one. Teyla deserved better. I was wiling to give Kanaan a try if the guy even had a backbone. If we really want to be specific, the only thing canon about Kanaan is that he's the babysitter and father of Teyla's child. If Teyla is in a romantic relationship with Kanaan, what is she doing with the team in her off time? Why is she going to John for advice on why she should transform herself as a Wraith Queen? Where was the father of her son when both Teyla and Torren were held hostage and almost died at the hands of Michael? So, he was in New Athos, but what about after wards, there was no sign or mention of him either. Teyla was back in the hallways with a restless Torren. Wouldn't the father want to be there with them at all times at the thought that he almost lost them and he wasn't even there?

We should have seen more of her with the father of her son than simply in times when the baby was shown or simply in reference to her child. We really know very little of how Teyla reacts to and responds in romantic relationships. All we know is that according to her traditions, the man makes the first move. If we state that they are in fact a couple, there's very little if any that they are together. For all we know, Kanaan could have his own private quarters.

Season 5 was definitely not Teyla's best on-screen season. Which is why, personally, I sort of just ignore that whole season.

Any who, am I to tread lightly in this thread from now on? Should I simply not mention John and Teyla at all in here so as to avoid any problems?
          sigpic

Comment

Camy,
            ... Err Tame - Jeyla is not Camy. Unless her real name is Camy in which case, you may ignore me.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Jeyla4ever View Post
              Thank you for clarifying that, Tame. I was under the impression that my comments of John and Teyla's relationship was inappropriate for this thread.

As for my assertions, well, those are actually facts of statements made by those that wrote, created and played the character. Not my opinion. Rachel made the comment and I thought nothing of it to state it here because it is the Rachel thread. If other crew members of the show also make any comments about how the role of Teyla was played and how they wrote her to be, I thought this thread is appropriate for that as well. It's part of understanding the character in depth from the writers, directors, and actors point of view and it gives us, the viewers, a more wholesome look at the character of Teyla that we know and love.

Even what we are stating to be on screen canon can be interpreted differently by the viewer. For example, Teyla and Kanaan. Are they actually living together? How do we know that? Because we've seen Kanaan in Atlantis? How do we know that Teyla and Kanaan are a couple? She has always referred to him as the father of my son....not my boyfriend, or my lover or my husband. Besides the fact that Kanaan is the father of her son, there's nothing else on-screen that defines Teyla and Kanaan's relationship. I totally agree with Linda that this was a horrible thing for Teyla's character. We've seen all the other characters interact romantically with another character except Teyla. Teyla and Kanaan have never even kissed!!!! That is a total disgrace for Teyla's character. There's more to a relationship than having a child with someone. That's easy. Anyone can have a child, but to have a relationship, any kind of relationship, that requires more than simply one common denominator; in this case, a child.

Linda, I'm with you on this one. Teyla deserved better. I was wiling to give Kanaan a try if the guy even had a backbone. If we really want to be specific, the only thing canon about Kanaan is that he's the babysitter and father of Teyla's child. If Teyla is in a romantic relationship with Kanaan, what is she doing with the team in her off time? Why is she going to John for advice on why she should transform herself as a Wraith Queen? Where was the father of her son when both Teyla and Torren were held hostage and almost died at the hands of Michael? So, he was in New Athos, but what about after wards, there was no sign or mention of him either. Teyla was back in the hallways with a restless Torren. Wouldn't the father want to be there with them at all times at the thought that he almost lost them and he wasn't even there?

We should have seen more of her with the father of her son than simply in times when the baby was shown or simply in reference to her child. We really know very little of how Teyla reacts to and responds in romantic relationships. All we know is that according to her traditions, the man makes the first move. If we state that they are in fact a couple, there's very little if any that they are together. For all we know, Kanaan could have his own private quarters.

Season 5 was definitely not Teyla's best on-screen season. Which is why, personally, I sort of just ignore that whole season.

Any who, am I to tread lightly in this thread from now on? Should I simply not mention John and Teyla at all in here so as to avoid any problems?
              Well said Jeyla... The only thing canon about Teyla/Kanaan is that they have a child together..... we have never seen or heard either of them say that they love each other, are in a relationship together or even living together.. for all we know Teyla and Kanaan just share the responsibilies of raising a child..

I would say that in the Athosian culture this could be quite a normal thing... in fact being such a close community I could see many of Teyla's people acting as carers and babysitters and helping with the responsibility of raising children..... this is where the writers did a huge disservice to Teyla's character IMO... trying to turn her into some suburban mom and having her worry about remaining on the team or continuing to defend her people against the Wraith... I've always felt that Teyla would not change because of parenthood.... she is the leader of her people and used to living a dangerous lifestyle... if she was still on Athos would she hide away in her tent to be with her son... I dont think so.... I feel she would still want to make the world a better place for her child and carrry on as before knowing that her child would be taken care of by ANY of her people if anything happened to her...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                ... Err Tame - Jeyla is not Camy. Unless her real name is Camy in which case, you may ignore me.
                it is Camy....I had to change my username because Mr. Camy and the Camilitos were snooping around and therefore, Tame know it and change it for me when I asked her to.

Back to being Jeyla! Sorry, I did go around the threads that I frequent and stated that, maybe I didn't do it here.

Okay after 30 minutes this message will explode!
                sigpic

Comment

Omg a thread about Teyla aka Rachel Luttrell...... How did I miss this?

I thought she was one of the great things to happen to Atlantis. A very beautiful addition to the cast. Plus she's an atheltic looking woman, and I find these kind of women terribly lovely to watch.
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I think is my second post here. Just the time to share with you two caps from a french documentary.

Her face when she tries to speak French.

And during her little interview
                    sigpic
                    Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by SGAFirenity View Post
                      Definitely though, as long as the focus is on Teyla we shouldn't have a problem with talking about a ship as long as the main focus is on Teyla.
                      I agree. As long as Teyla is the focus, I don't have a problem with posters talking about ship. And, what I mean by Teyla-focus is that the emphasis should be on Teyla as an individual and not as just part of a ship.

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                      Well said Jeyla... The only thing canon about Teyla/Kanaan is that they have a child together..... we have never seen or heard either of them say that they love each other, are in a relationship together or even living together.. for all we know Teyla and Kanaan just share the responsibilies of raising a child..

I would say that in the Athosian culture this could be quite a normal thing... in fact being such a close community I could see many of Teyla's people acting as carers and babysitters and helping with the responsibility of raising children..... this is where the writers did a huge disservice to Teyla's character IMO... trying to turn her into some suburban mom and having her worry about remaining on the team or continuing to defend her people against the Wraith... I've always felt that Teyla would not change because of parenthood.... she is the leader of her people and used to living a dangerous lifestyle... if she was still on Athos would she hide away in her tent to be with her son... I dont think so.... I feel she would still want to make the world a better place for her child and carrry on as before knowing that her child would be taken care of by ANY of her people if anything happened to her...
                      I'm still beyond disappointed that TPTB didn't use Rachel's pregnancy as an opportunity to explore Athosian culture and give us a taste of Teyla's life before, and outside, of Atlantis. I'll admit that I wish they had never included the pregnancy in the show, however, since they were determined to do so, I was hoping that I would find out more about Teyla and the Athosian lifestyle.

Instead, they used this storyline to try to force Teyla into an out-of-character soccer mom role and to depict a bizarre, chemistry-free, out of nowhere thing that I can't even call a relationship because the writers didn't give it enough thought to even try to make it somewhat believable. Kanaan was a bland, forgettable character that brought nothing of interest to SGA and it's almost frightening that TPTB thought Teyla fans would be satisfied with this crap storyline.

It's too bad that they didn't use fanfic writers to come up with ideas for Teyla because, over the years, I've read several interesting fanfics where the authors had created their versions of Athosian culture and how they, the Athosians, dealt with relationships and procreation. In each case those non-paid writers did a much better job in creating a rich background for Teyla than SGA's writers.

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                      Omg a thread about Teyla aka Rachel Luttrell...... How did I miss this?

I thought she was one of the great things to happen to Atlantis. A very beautiful addition to the cast. Plus she's an atheltic looking woman, and I find these kind of women terribly lovely to watch.
                      Yep, I agree that Rachel was one of the great things about Atlantis and it was refreshing to see an athletic, graceful woman who looked like she was capable of kicking butt -- kicking butt on screen. In fact, I remember reading that originally, Teyla wasn't supposed to be a butt-kicking warrior, but that because of Rachel's dance background and carriage, the stunt coordinator thought she would be able to handle more physically demanding training.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                      I think is my second post here. Just the time to share with you two caps from a french documentary.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Pretty pics!

The first one is hilarious because it looks like she's either excited that she finally managed to say what she was trying to say in French, or, that she had so totally messed up that she just gave up and started laughing.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                        Pretty pics!

The first one is hilarious because it looks like she's either excited that she finally managed to say what she was trying to say in French, or, that she had so totally messed up that she just gave up and started laughing.
                        It's the second reason. She just said "Bonjour" with a lovely voice and try to say something in French again but she messed up.lol
                        sigpic

Comment

It's the second reason. She just said "Bonjour" with a lovely voice and try to say something in French again but she messed up.lol
                          Oh, that is too funny! Thanks for sharing this!
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana

Comment

Oh, that is too funny! Thanks for sharing this!
                            Maybe I can post this later. I just have to know how to extract a passage from a video.lol
                            sigpic

Comment

I agree. As long as Teyla is the focus, I don't have a problem with posters talking about ship. And, what I mean by Teyla-focus is that the emphasis should be on Teyla as an individual and not as just part of a ship.

I'm still beyond disappointed that TPTB didn't use Rachel's pregnancy as an opportunity to explore Athosian culture and give us a taste of Teyla's life before, and outside, of Atlantis. I'll admit that I wish they had never included the pregnancy in the show, however, since they were determined to do so, I was hoping that I would find out more about Teyla and the Athosian lifestyle.

Instead, they used this storyline to try to force Teyla into an out-of-character soccer mom role and to depict a bizarre, chemistry-free, out of nowhere thing that I can't even call a relationship because the writers didn't give it enough thought to even try to make it somewhat believable. Kanaan was a bland, forgettable character that brought nothing of interest to SGA and it's almost frightening that TPTB thought Teyla fans would be satisfied with this crap storyline.

It's too bad that they didn't use fanfic writers to come up with ideas for Teyla because, over the years, I've read several interesting fanfics where the authors had created their versions of Athosian culture and how they, the Athosians, dealt with relationships and procreation. In each case those non-paid writers did a much better job in creating a rich background for Teyla than SGA's writers.
                              nail... hit... head
                              What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

http://i15.servimg.com/u/f15/14/45/27/11/vlcsna15.jpg
                                http://i15.servimg.com/u/f15/14/45/27/11/vlcsna16.jpg
                                Is this the one,which other members of the cast also trying to speak French?
                                So cute,thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
                                X