X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Thirteenth Colony

Hello everyone,

My name is John, I am Faroese, but am ancestrally from Norway (hence the screen-name). I've never seen the Original Series, and when I asked one of my friends about it, his reply was "70's cheese". And those are his words, not mine. I do not wish to anger any of the old fans. I have, since watching the mini-series and first season, begun to visit forums, and found this once, since I also am a fan of Stargate: Atlantis. I've seen that there are some excellent theorists in here. One of the things that I like about Battlestar Galactica is that it is thought-provoking, and have begun some research into the field of The Twelve Colonies, and their relation to the Constellations of the Zodiac and Greek/Roman mythology.

It was interesting to find out that the constellation Ophiuchus, or the latin form of its name, Serpentarius, is generally not spoken of. This, it seems, is because it is outside of the path the sun spends time in the vicinity of the other twelve. This concurs with the fact that the Thirteenth Colony is apart from the remaining Twelve Tribes of Man. The image of the sign is a man holding a great serpent. The possibilites for whom the figure represents are conflicting. One, is that it depicts Apollo wrestling with the Python to take control of the oracle at Delphi. But my question is, could the name of the Thirteenth Colony, if it ever is discovered, be Serpentarius?

I don't know if this has been previously discussed, but I found it to be pretty interesting and cool . What do you guys think?

They always call the thirteenth colony "Earth," but who knows, maybe they are wrong?
    Rocky

Comment

There could be different names.. the old names of the Tribes were our current constellations names. Then they switched over to things like "Arilon". Perhaps Earth is called something different, or was? Earth seems like just a way for the producers to tie it in with it being set in our universe. The fleet has to be searching for Earth for it to be as powerful as it is. But it seems to me there's no reason in their universe to call it Earth.
      "Did you really expect some Utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?"

Comment

If you get Sci Fi Channel on Cable or sattelite TV (I'm assuming given your relatively remote location that you get one of them) they show reruns of the original series every couple of weeks or so. In fact they did that earlier this week including "Living Legend" which is my favorite.

And you're friend was right. Looking at it now it was pretty cheesy. It's still fun to watch though.

Comment

It might be called tara firma.
          Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

There are many different names for the same constellations. Maybe they are using a more familiar name. I've only heard of Ophiuchus a few times, so I'm betting a lot of people wouldn't know what it was.

Comment

Working...
            X