No announcement yet.

The Light (418)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last weekend I showed this episode to my BFF--who introduced me to the idea of Stargate (my brother had the disks so I could actually watch it)--and she had never seen it before. It's exceedingly rare that she hasn't seen an episode of a TV show we both watch before I have. I was chuffed.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Just watched this one yesterday, and I must say the actor that portrays the kid in the temple is really really good. The scene where he confesses that he indirectly killed his parents was really touching.

And Daniel dies again for a while before reviving on the planet
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

It doesn't look like I was very impressed with this episode the last time I watched it. However, I thought it was excellent this time around, as far as rating goes.

Maybe because I'm now more intimately familiar with what neurotransmitters do and what levels of dopamine mean to the brain, that I have a different, or better understanding of the severity of what this addiction is doing to the brain, and to a person's state of mind.

My own neurotransmitters fire every which way on most days, and my dopamine levels are quite iffy when I don't take my medication (I have ADD -- my medication helps me focus). And when I neglect to take my medication, I get withdrawal symptoms (here's the main ingredient of my meds, can also be found in the more commonly known Ritalin: Methylphenidate). Not as severe as what Daniel goes through though, but they do mess up my brain chemistry.

Anyhow, the scenes with Daniel standing over the rail made me quite uncomfortable (and no, suicide has not crossed my mind -- thoughts yes, action no). Mood swings -- I know all about them. Pretty much the entire spiral downwards that the team goes through, is way familiar so I guess, in a way it contributes to how I probably feel about this episode now, as opposed to the last time I watched it.

It's also a sad story for Lorin and how his parents died, and at the same time, it's nice to see him interact with Jack and the team. And he only wants to do right by them, even if it means not telling them about the dangers of the room.

It's a good team episode. Great interactions, withdrawal moments and everything.

Fun facts:
        Lieutenant Baker is credited at the end, but it says Sgt Baker instead.
        The prop of the off/on-switch inner part which later make a reappearance as part of the box that holds the Ascended being in Atlantis' episode Hide & Seek, and in Sight Unseen when SG-1 encounters those 4th dimension creatures. Good use of recycling, I guess.

Anyone, by the way, know whether the light effect was a practical effect or CGI? It doesn't say in the companion.

How would you rate SG-1's "The Light?"

Excellent
        Good
        Fair
        Poor
        Terrible
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Anyone, by the way, know whether the light effect was a practical effect or CGI?
          The light where it colors the actors was practical. The light emerging from the device and playing up the walls and ceiling was CGI. On the American disks, this effect is discussed in the episode commentary. It was a real challenge for the team, since light does not actually flow, and was based on a smoke effect. Then they had to match the colors of the CGI to the lights and pattern that was cast on the actors. I think it's one of the best effects they ever did.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
            The light where it colors the actors was practical. The light emerging from the device and playing up the walls and ceiling was CGI. On the American disks, this effect is discussed in the episode commentary. It was a real challenge for the team, since light does not actually flow, and was based on a smoke effect. Then they had to match the colors of the CGI to the lights and pattern that was cast on the actors. I think it's one of the best effects they ever did.
            Thanks.

It truly is a wicked effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Thanks.

It truly is a wicked effect.
              I almost fell addicted myself...
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                I almost fell addicted myself...
                Who wouldn't want to gaze at such spectacular effects... revel in its awesomeness.

Comment

I think it's quite impressive that after all those years, I (we) are still impressed by the CGI in this episode, praises to the visual effects team
                  Spoiler:

Comment

3-episode quiz: The Light, Prodigy & Entity

Jigsaw puzzle: The Light

Comment

Visual effects are not something I pay attention to a lot be they good or bad so I don't really pay attention to the light look. Its another one of those episodes its middle of the road for me. I don't hate it but I don't love it. I think I would have liked more time on the planet instead of rushing the mystery. I would have liked to see more of Loran. Ill give it a fair and I did puzzle in 6 minutes 14 seconds
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

10:30
                        http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Visual effects are not something I pay attention to a lot be they good or bad so I don't really pay attention to the light look.
                          Visual and practical effects -- one of the things that can make or break something for me.

And the more detail they have, the more in awe I'll be.

Then again, I once took a Special Effects course, so I'm into that kind of stuff.

%%%

Puzzle-wise, I'm in the middle again: 07:22

Comment

9:13

I thought this was a good episode, but sometimes I wish another character was explored in this type of situation. I would have liked to see Sam in that situation ( more than was portrayed). Dont get me wrong, I think MS acted his part wonderfully.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                              I thought this was a good episode, but sometimes I wish another character was explored in this type of situation. I would have liked to see Sam in that situation ( more than was portrayed). Dont get me wrong, I think MS acted his part wonderfully.
                              Indeed, would have been lovely -- sort of -- to see someone else struggling with withdrawal, but on more than one occasions more characters came out overlooked.

This will be even more prevelent in Atlantis unfortunately.

Comment

Bugger, now realizing it's far too long since seeing this episode and so must rewatch. Once I'm home.
                                "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

Working...
                                X