Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: The Light (418)

Default Re: The Light (418)

That's the old the audience has to know the language reason

I know, I know....doesn't mean that obvious overuse of that trope can't rub me the wrong way!

O'Neill and a kid again - furious and then very caring.
    The dangers of addiction - well presented.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

This is one episode I remember originally watching on a really good day.. so whenever I see it it puts me in a good mood.

As Jack says.. "Nice beach"

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Captain-Peregrine View Post
    You gotta feel bad for our Danny boy. He's clean as a whistle--barring the whole aliens-built-the-pyramids thing--up until his starts skipping through the 'Gate. Then he's stuffed into sarcophagus's, closed inside palace lava-lamp opium dens and driven crazy by all sorts of other vexing little problems. He really IS having no luck.

But I really did like this episode. I also liked seeing Jack's concern for Daniel and Daniel's trusting Jack and then that whole death thing and running him through the 'Gate! That one had me on my toes with anguish. Poor, poor Daniel.
    Yea compared to everyone else on the team he's died the most often, had his mind manipulated the most, had mucho mind invasions... He just can't seem to catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice Otter View Post
    Not this kid. I betcha they were able to find where his home planet was and send him home to whatever family he had left, there. There's a good chance that kind of information was in his parent's things. And if he's home, there's not much need for continuing plots surrounding him. Nyan, on the other hand, has no home to go to--that's the whole point.
    Yea, that's what i was thinking happened too.. Though it would have been nice even if in a toss away comment like "Say SG8, how's the kid doing, since you guys came back from where we sent him"..

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppard View Post
    teal'c surfing that would be a great and heaps funny episode
    That makes me wonder. Since now they know how to turn that device on and off, and ensure no one else becomes deathly addicted, Are they going to establish an off-world base there?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    How many teams have we lost now? SG-11, SG-5... must be fun to replace them. Cursed numbers.
    It would be nice to see someone (if possible that is) do a full on list of all the deceased we have had.. There's got to be at least 40 or so over the decades..

Major

Last weekend I showed this episode to my BFF--who introduced me to the idea of Stargate (my brother had the disks so I could actually watch it)--and she had never seen it before. It's exceedingly rare that she hasn't seen an episode of a TV show we both watch before I have. I was chuffed.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Just watched this one yesterday, and I must say the actor that portrays the kid in the temple is really really good. The scene where he confesses that he indirectly killed his parents was really touching.

And Daniel dies again for a while before reviving on the planet

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

It doesn't look like I was very impressed with this episode the last time I watched it. However, I thought it was excellent this time around, as far as rating goes.

Maybe because I'm now more intimately familiar with what neurotransmitters do and what levels of dopamine mean to the brain, that I have a different, or better understanding of the severity of what this addiction is doing to the brain, and to a person's state of mind.

My own neurotransmitters fire every which way on most days, and my dopamine levels are quite iffy when I don't take my medication (I have ADD -- my medication helps me focus). And when I neglect to take my medication, I get withdrawal symptoms (here's the main ingredient of my meds, can also be found in the more commonly known Ritalin: Methylphenidate). Not as severe as what Daniel goes through though, but they do mess up my brain chemistry.

Anyhow, the scenes with Daniel standing over the rail made me quite uncomfortable (and no, suicide has not crossed my mind -- thoughts yes, action no). Mood swings -- I know all about them. Pretty much the entire spiral downwards that the team goes through, is way familiar so I guess, in a way it contributes to how I probably feel about this episode now, as opposed to the last time I watched it.

It's also a sad story for Lorin and how his parents died, and at the same time, it's nice to see him interact with Jack and the team. And he only wants to do right by them, even if it means not telling them about the dangers of the room.

It's a good team episode. Great interactions, withdrawal moments and everything.

Fun facts:
    Lieutenant Baker is credited at the end, but it says Sgt Baker instead.
    The prop of the off/on-switch inner part which later make a reappearance as part of the box that holds the Ascended being in Atlantis' episode Hide & Seek, and in Sight Unseen when SG-1 encounters those 4th dimension creatures. Good use of recycling, I guess.

Anyone, by the way, know whether the light effect was a practical effect or CGI? It doesn't say in the companion.

How would you rate SG-1's "The Light?"

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Major

Anyone, by the way, know whether the light effect was a practical effect or CGI?
    The light where it colors the actors was practical. The light emerging from the device and playing up the walls and ceiling was CGI. On the American disks, this effect is discussed in the episode commentary. It was a real challenge for the team, since light does not actually flow, and was based on a smoke effect. Then they had to match the colors of the CGI to the lights and pattern that was cast on the actors. I think it's one of the best effects they ever did.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    The light where it colors the actors was practical. The light emerging from the device and playing up the walls and ceiling was CGI. On the American disks, this effect is discussed in the episode commentary. It was a real challenge for the team, since light does not actually flow, and was based on a smoke effect. Then they had to match the colors of the CGI to the lights and pattern that was cast on the actors. I think it's one of the best effects they ever did.
    Thanks.

It truly is a wicked effect.
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Thanks.

It truly is a wicked effect.
    I almost fell addicted myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I almost fell addicted myself...
    Who wouldn't want to gaze at such spectacular effects... revel in its awesomeness.

I think it's quite impressive that after all those years, I (we) are still impressed by the CGI in this episode, praises to the visual effects team

3-episode quiz: The Light, Prodigy & Entity

Jigsaw puzzle: The Light

Visual effects are not something I pay attention to a lot be they good or bad so I don't really pay attention to the light look. Its another one of those episodes its middle of the road for me. I don't hate it but I don't love it. I think I would have liked more time on the planet instead of rushing the mystery. I would have liked to see more of Loran. Ill give it a fair and I did puzzle in 6 minutes 14 seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

10:30

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Visual effects are not something I pay attention to a lot be they good or bad so I don't really pay attention to the light look.
    Visual and practical effects -- one of the things that can make or break something for me.

And the more detail they have, the more in awe I'll be.

Then again, I once took a Special Effects course, so I'm into that kind of stuff.

%%%

Puzzle-wise, I'm in the middle again: 07:22

9:13

I thought this was a good episode, but sometimes I wish another character was explored in this type of situation. I would have liked to see Sam in that situation ( more than was portrayed). Dont get me wrong, I think MS acted his part wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by BethHG View Post
    I thought this was a good episode, but sometimes I wish another character was explored in this type of situation. I would have liked to see Sam in that situation ( more than was portrayed). Dont get me wrong, I think MS acted his part wonderfully.
    Indeed, would have been lovely -- sort of -- to see someone else struggling with withdrawal, but on more than one occasions more characters came out overlooked.

This will be even more prevelent in Atlantis unfortunately.

Bugger, now realizing it's far too long since seeing this episode and so must rewatch. Once I'm home.
    "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456