No announcement yet.

The Light (418)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was this the fourth house that Daniel has lived in?
    Yeah, well, you know, if you keep on dying all the time it gets hard to pay the rent.

I really like this episode. From the start, I just love the sheer pleasure Jack takes in teasing Carter about the bet and the rapid sequeway from that lighthearted moment to the high drama of Barber rushing into the gate is well done.

I thought the set in this one was awesome. Not just the light itself, but all those pillars and the opulance of the place. Beautifully done by the art department.

I loved the character beats in this one, especially between Jack and Daniel and the moments when they kept getting sidetracked by the light were cute. Liked the little spat between a withdrawn Jack and Sam on the beach - although it could have been a little more dramatic for me.

And most of all I thought the scene between Jack and Loren when he finally told him about what happened to his parents was one of the most poignant, beautifully acted in the entire show. The actor playing Loren was superb and Jack's reactions were spot on. I especially like the beat RDA puts in when he starts to automatically protest Loren's claim that he was the one who killed his parents - as any adult would do, that kind of 'yeah, yeah, not seriously killed them, killed them, you're just a kid...' which is instantly cut off as he freezes with the sudden awareness that Loren is very serious and did, somehow, kill them.

It's a good episode, which I enjoy watching often. Vastly under-rated, I think, because when you really look at it it's poignant drama at its best.

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion

I really like this episode. From the start, I just love the sheer pleasure Jack takes in teasing Carter about the bet and the rapid sequeway from that lighthearted moment to the high drama of Barber rushing into the gate is well done....

...I loved the character beats in this one, especially between Jack and Daniel and the moments when they kept getting sidetracked by the light were cute. Liked the little spat between a withdrawn Jack and Sam on the beach - although it could have been a little more dramatic for me....

It's a good episode, which I enjoy watching often. Vastly under-rated, I think, because when you really look at it it's poignant drama at its best.

Albion
      I agree with you Albion. I think it's under-rated too. Even though we don't know Barber, we can really feel the shock and pain of his loss by/through our main characters. I think of this episode when I read that TPTB in Season 7
      Spoiler:
      wanted to kill Janet so we'd know people from the SGC die & how horrible it is. I want to say--done that.

I also like that it is just a one shot episode and not part of a big arc. Don't get me wrong, I like arcs, but it is fun to just run into something interesting as a stand alone.

Comment

jckfan55 said (apparently I can't quote him/her AND put spoiler tags in ):

Spoiler:
        "I wanted to kill Janet so we'd know people from the SGC die & how horrible it is. I want to say--done that."

LOL, yes. I said that too - I already knew that one from poor Elliott sacrificing himself. And a few others besides. Kawalsky, anyone? Rothman? I must admit that the deaths of all three of these affected me just as much as Janet's.

I also like that it is just a one shot episode and not part of a big arc. Don't get me wrong, I like arcs, but it is fun to just run into something interesting as a stand alone.
        And I must admit that I don't understand the theory which goes 'this episode wasn't good and there was no point to it because it 'didn't advance the mythology'/'didn't have anything to do with the major arc plotlines of the season'/and so on. It baffles me why every single episode would need to. For myself, a collection of myth/arc episodes and standalones with the odd comedy episode thrown into the mix are what make a season interesting. It would be enormously boring for me if every episode was serious, heavy drama and I value the standalones as much as I do the myth-heavy arcs.

Albion
        Last edited by Albion; 18 August 2005, 09:03 AM.
        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by QuiGonJohn
          I wanted to know why the team & Hammond didn't suspect something had happened to Daniel, just as Lt. Barber, once Daniel stated acting weird, shortly after he came back.
          He probably acts like that when he hasn't had enough coffee either so they probably didn notice.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I don't think Daniel was acting particularly out of whack enough from normal. In the briefing room he was distracted and vague - but that was easy to explain. He'd just heard shocking news about a man he'd been working with off planet and was trying to get his head around what had prompted him to kill himself. Who wouldn't be distracted?

Later, he was tense, irritable and impatient. But, heck, we've all seen Daniel exhibit these signs before when he's felt that he was on to something of vital importance and also felt that the military side of things - Hammond and Jack - weren't as enthused as he was or were dragging their heels on taking action when he wanted to be up and at 'em. So that probably didn't look odd to Jack or Hammond, either. They've both been on the receiving end before of one of Daniel's passionate 'How can you just sit there? This is urgent!' rants.

Perhaps snapping at Hammond in his office was a little more virulent and passionate than usual, but not so much, imo, that everyone would leap immediately to the conclusion that he was being strange. At this point in his life, when Daniel was on the hunt of something, he was pretty singleminded about it. I think he's gotten more thoughtful in recent seasons and more willing to cool his jets.

I had to go watch this one again after talking about it. And discovered so much more I'd forgotten, that makes this a great episode for me. The confrontation between Janet and Jack in the infirmary, for one. Janet in her wonderful 'Look, I don't care what rank you are, you mess with me in my infirmary and you're out of here, buster.' mood. I love when she asserts herself that way. And at the same time, her compassion for Jack shines through. The beats between Loran (not Loren according to the subtitles) and Teal'c are very sweet. I wonder if Teal'c was remembering a certain tyke with a water pistol when he was beeping that ray gun?

I've already mentioned that I love the friendship beats between Jack and Daniel in this one, but just have to especially mention that balcony scene. The drama and dialogue of it so understated, yet very powerful.

Albion
            Last edited by Albion; 18 August 2005, 11:37 AM.

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I am going to be honet i cannot stand this episode i find it the most boring, unintersting episode EVER one of few low points of Season 4

Comment

As Joe said in that one season 8 episode............

Comment

Ive got to say the only real highlight for thid ep was finding out that Teal'c is over 100 years old. The rest was a predictible story.
                  Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I love The Light. I enjoy the action and arc eps too but now and again it's good to watch one of those stand-alone, easy to digest, pulls you along eps where you can just let it carry you along, the unfolding story may seem predictable but I don't have a problem with that, suspecting how it will end is half the pleasure with this one and the interaction between Janet and Jack / Jack and Daniel / Sam and Jack / Jack and Loren is both great and touching.

That device would make a funky nightlight too

Comment

This episode reminds me of the song, "Hotel Caifornia" by the Eagles.

Comment

This episode was okay. Predictable like all hell but it was still enjoyable. Loran was a decent character, does he ever comes back? Jack and Daniel's bet was the best part. I felt it ended too early because I wanted to see SG1 on vacation on the beach. Imagine Teal'c playing with a beach ball or trying to surf!
                        "I killed a city once. Funny story." - Wolverine

Comment

teal'c surfing that would be a great and heaps funny episode

Comment

I haven't actually seen this episode yet, but I've seen pics of it, and I think Michael Shanks did a terrific job with the balcony scene. I can sympathize with him.
                            Newbiegater

Save Stargate Sg-1!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16, NIV

Comment

Originally posted by Sheppard
                              teal'c surfing that would be a great and heaps funny episode
                              that would have been so funny.

i enjoyed this ep, it was good

sig by starlover1990

Comment

I loved this episode and the whole idea. Even the bad guys need to relax sometimes.
                                sigpic
                                "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                                DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Working...
                                X