Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Light (418)

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Default Re: The Light (418)

Indeed it does. A bit slow, but nevertheless interesting. Poor Loran!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Chief Master Sergeant ChulaksPrincess's Avatar

Yes, poor Loran indeed. He was a very sweet young man. He seemed to really like Teal'c, and Teal'c's patience with Loran was great. That was so sweet of Loran to give Teal'c that toy for an early birthday present.

Jack and Sam going through withdrawal symptoms and fussing was so funny. Another well done episode.
    Last edited by ChulaksPrincess; October 31st, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
    "I choose freedom." Teal'c Threshold
    "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Chief Master Sergeant LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar

Definitely the weak link in an otherwise strong season. It's one of those self-contained episodes that is just a bit TOO self-contained, ultimately going nowhere and not leaving any kind of lasting impression. Plus, it's a little bit on the boring side. Jack meeting another kid, that's also been done too often by this point in the series.

It has good moments, and pretty much all of those involve Daniel. I like the scene with him on the balcony and when he gets angry at Hammond. By contrast, Carter getting angry at O'Neill felt unnatural and stilted.

The light itself also isn't particularly stunning to look at, it just makes the room look messy more than anything!

RATING: 6 out of 10

Major

Quote Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
    The light itself also isn't particularly stunning to look at, it just makes the room look messy more than anything!
    Oh, I disagree with this. I think the light is very cool and the technology behind the special effect (what they were able to do with the money and time they had) very impressive.

Seaboe

Goa'uld version of the lava lamp.

Didn't like the episode much, it wasn't the worst of the series, but it was a filler episode which I thought could have been handled different.

I did notice the writing on the wall looked similar to the Furling Writing in Fifth race, it was different, but some of the curves and shapes of the lettering had some similarities. I always wondered while watching this episode if another alien race built the light room, to get the goa'ulds in there, and one of them just took credit for it, given their scavenger nature. The technology just never seemed goa'uld like to me.

Daniel Re: The Light (418)

Another in the proud tradition of "what's happening to Daniel" episodes. The second in a row, in fact (following Absolute Power). WHtD episodes became SG-1 writers favorite filler material after season 1, when the "what's happening to Jack" storylines were all used up. Of course the rest of SG-1 (those without kel-no-rim abilities, anyway) is eventually affected too. SG-1 apparently affected by narcotic power of the light. Viewers more likely to be affected by narcolepsy. Rating: 3/10.

Tuesday night and another ep of SG1...

1. And an SG team member runs into an active Stargate! WTF?

2. Daniel didn't seem that much out of whack early on so seeing him the wrong side of the balcony was a bit...

3. Loren, was generally a cool idea - he did well to survive that long though.

4. Seen worse beaches.

Decent enough ep but definately a filler.

DVDs Re: The Light (418)

Screwed the pooch yesterday, that episode is Monday.

Anyways, I thought it was an average episode.

I never listened the commentary for this episode before (one more (Monday's ep) and I've listened to all of them from Season 4)

Tomorrow, Dr. Lee makes his first appearance in the series. Oh, and the Stargate theme has lyrics!?

Totally forgot that scene at the beginning when the SG-5 guy runs into the gate as it activates, so I was surprised by that.

I thought the special effect of the 'Light' was fantastic, that wonderful effect of flowing light, certainly mesmerizing, even by just watching it on the TV screen.....huh, err...where was I?!!!

'Loren' turns up on Earth a few years later at university in one of Dr Rush's lectures!

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis..._display_media

Quote Originally Posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
    Oh, and the Stargate theme has lyrics!?
    Indeed!

My LiveJournal post
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

This is basically a filler episode. And in that context I am okay with. Its a standard nacotic episode that we have seen with SG1. SG1 gets high on drugs and we find a way to detoxify. The solution is a little more elaborate then I thoight and its one of those episodes where I don't hate but I don't like it. Thier is nothing ground breaking but I am not bored out of my skull.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

Not the greatest ep. Not all that boring either.

Felt sorry for Loren. Liked the moment when he gave Teal'c the toy gun. Reminded me of the ep Bane. When they gave the girl a water gun.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    'Loren' turns up on Earth a few years later at university in one of Dr Rush's lectures!

Either he's not given credit for that role by IMDb, or that's not Kristian.

Seaboe

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post

The name of the actor in that scene is Chad Krowchuck.
    Last edited by hedwig; November 30th, 2011 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou13 View Post
    I like this episode, and especially the first scene between Sam and Jack. It's a sweet moment of teasing where you can really see the alchemy between the two characters, in their eyes, their words, the looks exchanges, ... And it contrasts with what follows!

That part always makes me laugh...this is one of the few times we get to see a true ear-to-ear grin from Jack (look how even his eyes are smiling)!

I like the special effects of the Light, I enjoy the character development we get to see: Jack losing his temper with Loren, and then apologizing (in a very 'Jack' way), Sam arguing with Jack (something she never escalates because he's her CO), Jack worrying over Daniel in the infirmary and then bodily carrying him though the gate to save his life, Teal'c not consigned to their fate, but doing his part to save his friends.

I understand the comments that have been made -it's a little bit of a static ep...there's not a lot of action, but overall, I like it.

sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave…because I'd have rather died myself…than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Chief Master Sergeant

That is some drugs!! ^^

I watched this with Gruesome #1 today and we both shouted the same thing at the same time - which was for Jack to stop getting cross with Loren.

I wondered also really how long his parents had been dead, poor kid, all on his own like that. Teal'c was great talking to him.

And of course it's got the famous scene (emergency delivery of Daniel through the gate - although why they wasted time putting on his clothes I don't know) which makes me want to tickle Daniel. Or blow raspberries on his stomach. Or something.

All in all not a bad ep but not brilliant.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Looks like I missed commenting on an episode... ...Not quite sure that's a good thing or a bad thing as far as impressions go.

Anyhow... so they get addicted to light or a buzz... or whatever. Poor kid though, thinking he'd killed his parents.

Carter and O'Neill fighting over nothing... before realizing they're in withdrawal.

How many teams have we lost now? SG-11, SG-5... must be fun to replace them. Cursed numbers.

Random note: Carter's hair sticking every which way after pulling off the hazmat mask ... cute!
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

I liked this episode for the most part.

The one thing that bugged me (even though it was a small thing) was how Loren seemed to know Earth slang basically immediately--contractions, what teenagers would say, etc., etc. Minor thing, just rubbed me the wrong way.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast