This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

king arthur

Im not sure to post this here or in the atlantis section. It just occured to me that the wraith have kind of dragon like features, this could be a link to the arthurian legends of sg1 were king arthur was said to have slayed dragons

The wraith havwe more vampiric features. King Arthur will probably appear sometime this season in some kind of form as theyve aready had Merlin appear.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Perhaps we have already seen Arthur in a previous season and we haven't yet realised it. Wraith are nothing like dragons, I agree, they are much more vampyric (sp)
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Dragons are also archetypes in literature. They have been viewed as unsurmountable obstacles in various stories in the world and someone who is capable of defeating a "dragon" has done a glorious legendary deed. Dragons are also similar to "snakes" which are the archetypes of evil (see: Bible, Epic of Gilgamesh, Hindu story of Garuda..etc). The clearest archetype of the dragon is found in Beowulf.

Therefore, the Wraith can represent dragons because to the Ancients they were unsurmountable obstacles. The appearance of Wraith Hive Ship just above their town whilst firing down "fire" DOES in fact remind a sordid peasant with an IQ of 56.44543 of large beast capable of flight, evilness, and fire throwing. Not only that, but Wraith are insectoid/reptilish (see green/blue skin color).

I do not see any real reason for a our peasant (that I have named Ishbuu - and ladies, he is infact single!) to view the Wraith as dragons. Good job jakey for bringing up an idea like this.

Comment

maybe a dragon was a type of orii ship....
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

that's a possibility. Personally, I don't think dragon's will really come up. If they did, I think they would be in the form of Orii ships.
            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

I think King Arthur is gonna be Valas child, I.E. The Once and Future King, he would return when the time was right, I think the Ancients are responsible for Vala's Pregnancy, I think Vala is a sort of Trojan Horse, if you get my meaning.
              Regardless of what you all may think I am not Superman!-

Was anyone here seriously thinking that?-

Comment

Arthur, in historical context, was probably one of the last Celtic kings of Britain, holding the invading Germanics back from western England and Wales. The dragon-slaying, sword-pulling, Grail-seeking, and romancing were added in later by poets, authors, and Monty Python, as with most folk tales. Merlin was probably a anachronistic Druid or a late Celtic priest, and his round table might have been an early form of republic.

In the context of Stargate, however, Merlin is a returned Ancient, a refugee from Pegaus, and the more fantastic feats that are attributed to the Arthurian legend become forms of technology. It is quite possible that a young Arthur might have been mentored by a very wise, very old Ancient, who might have explained some type of democracy, as well as showing him the Ancient's vault (Avalon).

However, the story of Arthur taking a sword from the Lady of the Lake seems very easy to use in Stargate; the 'lake' vaguely reminiscent of an active Stargate, and the sword being sent through as some kind of weapon to fight either Saxon tribes, or something worse.

PS: Does it matter that Sokar was capturing slaves from England at about this time? I see possibility for expansion on that idea.
                Jack: I can't remember much, but I have these visions- A large man, with short sleeves and blue pants...

I think his name is...Homer, and he's very important to me...

Comment

the wraith look like the creatures from "the Time Machine"

does anyone else think so.

Morlocks that's the name of those creatures from that movie.

Comment

Wow,there are some good ideas here,a couple of ones could be hitting the nail on the head here. Perhaps Vala's child is Arthur but he is not from the Ancients, but rather from the Orii. Perhaps this Arthur is a clone of another, one that was trained by Merlin but went bad, ie. Orii, that would almost explain why the ancients have the distance from lower beings. Oma could have been the lady of the lake, and the sword is a metaphore for ascension, a weapon to use against evil. Perhaps this child is even the origional Arthur, what with time travel technology of the ancients he may have even gone back. Only time will tell, lets just hope TPTB come up with a story good enough to live up to expectations, they usually do, 9 times out of 10
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Well... I don't think if he did show up, Arthur would be bad. I mean, like Daniel has mentioned, we associate fire with bad and since the Orii are fire, at somepoint, instead of warmth, it has conitations of fear. So... since Arthur is good in our mythos, it stands to reason, he wouldn't be anything bad.
                      'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

um....the wraith like dragons??? ok keep drinking. but good try.
                        Get YOUR P90 Here!
                        Am i alone in hoping that the Seaquest seasons with the DeLuise brothers are finally released on dvd??

Nice hair!!

Comment

How about this:

The Goa'Uld Sokar, hearing that Earth has been open for several milennia, sends scouts through the Anarctic gate to evaluate Earth's condition, and possibly bring in new slaves. One of the major centers for harvesting people is the British Isles, evidenced by the off-world English population under Sokar's reign. Gao'uld ships coming out of the sky, spitting plasma and burning villiages could easily explain historical and mythic accounts of dragons. One of those who stood up to the Goa'Uld was a veteran of previous conflicts with local invaders, a Celtic lord named Arthur. Arthur, mentored by a returned Ancient, fights the Goa'uld and accesses the Ancient vault by drawing the sword from the stone.

Later, he somehow reaches the Stargate, and is amazed when a hand, coming out of the 'puddle' offers a weapon of great power to drive off the Goa'Uld. Maybe this is a ZPM, and he drives off Sokar with the outpost weapon.

Its a strech, but who thinks this might be somewhat accurate?
                          Jack: I can't remember much, but I have these visions- A large man, with short sleeves and blue pants...

I think his name is...Homer, and he's very important to me...

Comment

Anyone else notice how merlin had a staff similar to the oris.

Comment

Working...
                            X