Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they'll stay with the Ori. there is absolutely no need for a new mythology. Let the PTB focus on the Ori !! See we haven't seen the Ori even how laim is that. We see the Priors and the Doci one time but no Ori. I hope TPTB know they can't keep this up for ever !
    Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by Nyarlathotep
      Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
      Originally posted by Mr Prophet
      La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
      Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi.
      What language is that
      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
        What language is that
        No idea !! creepy but I hope they'll stop and switch to English again ! so that we all can read what it says
        Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
          No idea !! creepy but I hope they'll stop and switch to English again ! so that we all can read what it says
          agreed.... and creepy is right

Comment

What language is that
            Originally posted by Nyarlathotep
            Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
            Language of the Old Ones: In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
            Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi.
            Arabic, from the Dread Necronomicon of the Mad Arab Abdul al-Hazrad: It is not dead that can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Language of the Old Ones: In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

Arabic, from the Dread Necronomicon of the Mad Arab Abdul al-Hazrad: It is not dead that can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die.
              Thanx for explaining what it meant

Comment

Thanx for explaining what it meant
                Of course, if you really want to know what it's all about, go here.

Comment

Of course, if you really want to know what it's all about, go here.
                  Or here. Actually, that's the Metallica website, but they have done a number of songs dealing with Cthulhu, including The Call of Ktulu, and The Thing That Should Not Be. The former being an instrumental, the latter having lyrics directly related to Cthulu. What does this have to do with anything? Well nothing, I suppose. I'm just taking the opportunity to push Metallica's older stuff.

Comment

I think that basing a show on the Cthulhu mythos would be awesome, except for two huge problems.

1). Every attempt to do this has sucked so far. Hellboy made several direct references to the series, and if you haven't seen that disaster before, consider yourself lucky. The movie Event Horizon also drew from this theme, and while I did find that movie tolerable, it was just barely so.

2). The whole premise is utterly incompatible with the show. SG-1 is not really a serious drama or epic, but a rather whimsical show about good guys going after and kicking the bad guys' asses, punctuated with smartass quips. Anyone who has read Lovecraft knows that this kind of attitude would definitely not work with a Cthulhu based show. Lovecraft, the creator of the Cthulhu mythos (for the most part) believed that any form of universal ethics or morality was a joke, that there is no God, that the existance of humanity is a cosmic accident without meaning, and that the only thing that keep humanity from having its collective mind shattered is that they live in a bubble of predefined ignorance about the true nature and terror of what truly IS. Trust me, a Zat-gun or a P90 would make absolutely no difference in the face of true cosmic horror.

It is probably the type of theme that would work well with a show like First Wave, The Outer Limits, or The X-Files, but introducing it to SG-1 would fundamentally change the show in such a way that most of the fans would probably turn against it, especially the ones who have no idea who Lovecraft is or how awesome his stories are.

-HDS

Comment

Originally posted by HisDivineShadow
                      I think that basing a show on the Cthulhu mythos would be awesome, except for two huge problems.

1). Every attempt to do this has sucked so far. Hellboy made several direct references to the series, and if you haven't seen that disaster before, consider yourself lucky.
                      On the other hand, it made several references to the superb Hellboy comic, and that didn't help it much either.

Trust me, a Zat-gun or a P90 would make absolutely no difference in the face of true cosmic horror.
                      Tell that to Titus Crowe. Not that I'm holding up Brian Lumley as an example of how to write mythos fiction and largely because of Titus Crowe, but if SG-1 threw down on Azathoth, thyat whole 'impervious to all earthly forces' thing would doubtless prove a minor quibble. I mean, if the Real Ghostbusters can take down the big C with a rollercoaster...

Actually, Titus Crowe is a fine argument both for and against this idea. On the one hand, the idea of a recurring and heroic mythos protagonist is fairly laughable, but on the other, Lumley's books sell millions, so there must be a market somewhere for people who put the smack down on the creatures of the mythos.

Comment

Originally posted by HisDivineShadow
                        It is probably the type of theme that would work well with a show like First Wave, The Outer Limits, or The X-Files, but introducing it to SG-1 would fundamentally change the show in such a way that most of the fans would probably turn against it, especially the ones who have no idea who Lovecraft is or how awesome his stories are.

-HDS
                        I found the whole cthulhu stories actually pretty boring and have no desier at all to see them in Gate.

Comment

Lovecraft may be a bit dark for the show, imo.

Another option, in keeping with the whole "chariot of the Gods" theme, is the bizarre Alexander doomsday mythos surrounding the Gog/Magog and the gate between two mountains that sealed them in.

It always made me curious to know how a hellenistic military conqueror becomes an icon in the major monotheistic religions of today. WTH happened? Hehe

Comment

Working...
                          X