No announcement yet.

Absolute Power (417)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He did indeed. It was not fun watching Red Square disappearing in whopper fireball either as an event in itself or in knowing who it was that had pulled the proverbial trigger. Both of these aspects were incredibly shocking.

That Shifu was a clever little tyke, though. He was pointing out the perils of getting your mitts on advanced offensive technology you can't handle to the one person who might actually take heed of the lesson and not try to rationalise it away using the 'greater good' argument. I imagine Daniel must have been seriously shocked at his own behaviour once he woke up - even with his principles and beliefs, he still wiped out an entire city. Brr.
    sigpic

Comment

I truely like this ep, my pseudo gives it as an evidence it is quite philosophic (sg is not only space battles and p90 shots... ) and very demonstratic of the influence of power even with "good" men (who better than Daniel...?)
      and surprise: he is ascended! link with buddhism is well found
      Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

Originally posted by harsiesis child
        I truely like this ep, my pseudo gives it as an evidence it is quite philosophic (sg is not only space battles and p90 shots... ) and very demonstratic of the influence of power even with "good" men (who better than Daniel...?)
        and surprise: he is ascended! link with buddhism is well found
        What's wrong with space battles and p-90 shots??
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
          What's wrong with space battles and p-90 shots??
          nothing... sg is also very enjoyable for this, but sometimes I have the impression that sg is watched only for this, which is a bit a pity... it cannot be reduced to action sometimes more philosopical (this one) or mystical episodes (fifth race, crystall skull...) are well too
          Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

I know what you mean. The action stuff is great fun, but it's sometimes nice to step back from that and examine the moral implications of what the Tauri are getting themselves into when they start mucking about with advanced technology.

We often see SG-1 discovering a person/community/planet in need of assistance, and rendering that assistance to the benefit of all and sundry. However, it can't always be like that because (fictional drama notwithstanding) SG-1 is still populated by fallible people who are going to muck up from time to time - and, as we know, they do. This gives Daniel the opportunity to really royally muck up - the absolute muck up to end all muck ups - without lasting consequences. Apart from the lesson he has learned, of course.

It's a nice change of pace to act as a counterpoint for all the space battles.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by harsiesis child
              nothing... sg is also very enjoyable for this, but sometimes I have the impression that sg is watched only for this, which is a bit a pity... it cannot be reduced to action sometimes more philosopical (this one) or mystical episodes (fifth race, crystall skull...) are well too
              I agree. The more thought provoking episodes, IMHO, are one of the things that have distinguished SG1 from a run of the mill Sci Fi show. I like battles with Jaffa as much as the next person and the occasional space battle, but that isn't the only thing the show is about, IMHO.

Comment

Me too.

We need to have a bit of introspection now and again, looking at just where all this exploration is taking us, particularly in the search for exciting techy whizz-bangs to use in our fight against the Goa'uld.

Just so long as we don't end up disappearing up our own wormholes, of course...
                sigpic

Comment

This is my favortie episode ever. It the best bc Daniel goes over to the dark side and it opens as nice can of wrooms for fan fiction. To me it start the idea that maybe Daniel going to a higher plan is not a bad idea.
                  May the force be with you

Comment

So true. Who, out of all of us, would have thought it possible that Daniel (Daniel!) could have become so corrupted by power - and to be so utterly matter of fact about it? Scary.

Of all the people in the SGC to behave like that - Daniel was the last. Or so we thought. He's not a cold, calculating nastyperson, is he?

Er - apparently he is. If the circumstances are right, at least.

That's where the impact comes from. It shocks us of course - but it also shocks him when he comes back from it and realises that, despite all his principles, even he isn't immune to the siren song of ultimate power. Neat.
                    sigpic

Comment

'There's just one flaw in your theory; you're assuming this is not what I wanted all along.' - When Jackson Goes Bad should've been the name of this frankly magnificent episode. I loved dark-side Daniel - what a character! He was the complete opposite of Dr Jackson, and it showed that Micheal Shanks is one of the best actors in Stargate.

Let's see what bad stuff dark danny got up to;
                      - He locked up Sam.
                      - He blew up Moscow.
                      - He owned a Mansion (only evil people own mansions, remember!)
                      - He has a secret underground lair like the bat cave underneath his mansion.
                      - He created weapons to help him take over the world.
                      - He defied the President.
                      - He left Stargate Command, awww.
                      - He was cooler than Jack in the end.

This ep was definately one of the best ever.
                      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Thought people might find this interesting , Niella has released the Breadbox edition of this episode.

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...x/417bbe.shtml
                        AncientsTimeline

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph View Post
                          I love, love, love this episode.

Evil Daniel rules, and is so, so sexy. I have to agree that MS plays crazy/power-crazed roles extremely well. He never ceases to amaze me in such situations. I loved his evilness in Need, but he's even better, even more evil here. I couldn't believe that he actually blew up Moscow. And his 'It's like cutting your enemy's heart out.' line. ..snip
                          Just the technology, and Daniel developing it and comandeering it, was extremely cool. I loved the way the weapons looked, and how powerfully and flawlessly they performed. Everything, especially the launch, was just so perfect (too perfect to be true, obviously).

I don't think they should have just let all the info go (although I guess they didn't have a choice?). I wish Daniel had been able to remember some of the tech -- even if it had just been that heavy naquadah water fuel source stuff. A wasted opportunity to gain new tech just kills me every time!
                          I too loved this ep, and wished we could have had SOMETHING from that knowledge remain. Even if only daniel remembered what gou'ald symbology/naming stuff was, so he wouldn't have to always look it up. And as to shifu, and the ascention thing.. I feel it was more that OMA was always there, watching over him, just waiting for him to be done with daniel, so she could reascend shifu.

And as far as michael and his acting goes, this along with lifeboat, FoIaD, need and meridian showcased how great of an actor he is.

It's the same lesson the Tollan tried to impress upon SG1 on almost every possible opportunity, the very reason they were so reluctant to share technology. Seeing first hand what could/would happen with such advancements in technology, coupled with the inherantly evil nature of the goa'uld, serves as a much more potent lesson than simply being told "You'll just end up blowing yourselves up if we give you super-weapons!"
                          That is actually an excelent point.. And one i would have loved to possibily see others get. It also ties into what Jacob said to sam in point of no return, while teal'c and jack were stranded in that glider.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            That is actually an excelent point.. And one i would have loved to possibily see others get. It also ties into what Jacob said to sam in point of no return, while teal'c and jack were stranded in that glider.
                            I so agree with that - there is always an inherent risk that, granted sudden, easy access to the technology or knowledge that will put us on an equal footing with our enemies, we will simply end up using it against ourselves. As Scarlet put it so neatly, quoted in the ^^ post, sometimes we really do need the object lesson rather than the lecture.
                            sigpic

Comment

I saw a comic in the Pacific Daily News, which almost made me thing of just that..

It started off with a bunch of aliens showing up in orbit, and 'woowing' over our technological weaponry in some of teh satellites we had... then went to a few more satelites being launched... then ended with them looking at one another 'aghast' as an 'underling' told them the earth people had turned all their weapons on one another...

Comment

Yup. That sounds like a pretty accurate assessment of how we'd manage our superior technology!

Whether we like it or not, those who do have nice whizzbangy toys to play with are right not to share with us. They've been there, done that and bought the T-shirt so they know that we're not mature enough as a species to handle it yet.

Now Daniel does, too.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X